Thread: ?Fuel only? tune, is it a proper way of tuning?

Tuner in Training

?Fuel only? tune, is it a proper way of tuning?

TLDR: truck had ?mystery? tune on it, pulled tune and the only parameters changed were fueling parameters. Is this a legitimate, safe way of doing a lower HP tune?

Longer story.. my friend bought an 06 Cummins that smokes fairly heavily and seems to have good power. Definitely more smoke/power than stock. The older gentleman my friend bought it from said it had a tune but wasn?t sure of the details so I hooked up my computer and pulled the tune. I don?t do diesel tuning but from what I?ve read, standard procedure seems to be adjusting fuel and timing. That being said, I?m confused as to why only the fueling parameters have been modified. My theories are 1. HP tuners didn?t properly read the file or 2. It was some kind of canned tune from a handheld programmer and this is an easier/safer/more consistent way to make power without knowing specific details of any given truck.

A few other parameters were changed like some torque management settings and stuff like that.

I can post the file later today if necessary.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTransAm View Post
    TLDR: truck had ?mystery? tune on it, pulled tune and the only parameters changed were fueling parameters. Is this a legitimate, safe way of doing a lower HP tune?

Longer story.. my friend bought an 06 Cummins that smokes fairly heavily and seems to have good power. Definitely more smoke/power than stock. The older gentleman my friend bought it from said it had a tune but wasn?t sure of the details so I hooked up my computer and pulled the tune. I don?t do diesel tuning but from what I?ve read, standard procedure seems to be adjusting fuel and timing. That being said, I?m confused as to why only the fueling parameters have been modified. My theories are 1. HP tuners didn?t properly read the file or 2. It was some kind of canned tune from a handheld programmer and this is an easier/safer/more consistent way to make power without knowing specific details of any given truck.

A few other parameters were changed like some torque management settings and stuff like that.

I can post the file later today if necessary.
    Always best to post a file when possible. Provides a lot more context. It's very possible this is a canned tune you pulled, a closer look at the file would help determine that.

Yes you can make power with fuel only, its not ideal but it will work. You are correct though it will make it run increasingly hotter and smokier, ideally if you add more duration (pulse) to the injector you should advance the timing to offset the new longer period of injection.

Without seeing the tune I'm just assuming your talking adding duration to the pulse width map. It is possible to increase command fuel and raise some limiters where the truck would use more of the factory map and thus (in theory) not require any timing changes if it was a mild tune. For example the pedal map may only fuel to 110mm3 or something and you could raise it to 150mm3 and the factory timing and pulse maps will go that high.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the tune file. After i went back and looked again, there are some timing adjustments made in the SOI timing tables.
    Still curious if this is a safe tune or if there is room for improvement.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TXTransAm View Post
    Here is the tune file. After i went back and looked again, there are some timing adjustments made in the SOI timing tables.
    Still curious if this is a safe tune or if there is room for improvement.
    Something is screwed with that file for sure. Pulse table is less than stock, Timing is CRAZY High(30+ deg) same with fuel pressure(45,000psi). This tune is NOT safe to run.

I have copied over a stock file over that tune, I have also attached a Mild/Medium tune that is a good starting point.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    Something is screwed with that file for sure. Pulse table is less than stock, Timing is CRAZY High(30+ deg) same with fuel pressure(45,000psi). This tune is NOT safe to run.

I have copied over a stock file over that tune, I have also attached a Mild/Medium tune that is a good starting point.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and uploading the stock and 75 hp tune. I will talk to my friend and let him know what the deal is and see what he wants to do now.
    I didn't really think this tune looked safe but I figured someone more knowledgeable than me about diesel tuning had a good reason for doing what was done in this tune.

I noticed that the SOI injection max table was set to 25deg. Also, max fuel pressure was set to 23,222 psi in a different table. I figured who ever did the tune previously set main SOI timing tables and fuel pressure tables crazy high just to ensure the computer commanded 25 degrees of timing and 23,222 psi of fuel pressure.

30-31? of timing is still "safe" to run....and 175mpa too
    Duration depend on rpm and injector
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

need help 08 ram with a cam