Thread: Replaced Dual eFans w/Dorman 620-039XD eFans Anyone Tune For Them?2013 Charger R/T.

Replaced Dual eFans w/Dorman 620-039XD eFans Anyone Tune For Them?2013 Charger R/T.

I replaced my dual fans with the Dorman set because a motor failed and OE fan motors are hard to come by right now.
    The Dorman Set

dorman 620-039xd.jpg

Compared to OE they seem to short cycle, my OE set to come on Hi speed @200?F and back on Low speed @186?F.
    They instead come on high speed @198?F and back to low speed @188?F.

This is not terribly urgent and can be adjusted but I wonder if anyone has dealt with this conversion already and has any words of experience and advise.

On high they seem to move enough air and ramp up quite slower than OE. Perhaps a different Hysteresis calibration can help it better match-up?

Thanks
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ

Advanced Tuner
    you can not use F for these settings

i mean you can but you will not get the results you are looking for

change that whole page back to C like it was originally and compare to your stock tune

i have never seen oem tune set to come on at 93 deg C

care to post the oem read?

Thank You!

Below is my factory tune as shipped. 2013 R/T Plus.
    Mods since are:
    180 t-stat
    Edelbrock E Force 7psi max in winter. It has the dual pass exchanger.
    Single to dual OE fans, now Dorman duals.
    1-7/16" thick radiator.
    Mopar oil filter mount oil cooler.
    B&M Trans Pan

Your words on where I need to be or start at on the fans would be much appreciated.

charger_2013_factory_tune_feb_28_16.hpt
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler

Advanced Tuner
    is your 13 like the later cars where it claims it is 2 speed but there is a medium?

that is how mine is... low is the small fan.

medium kicks on the big fan, but only at 1000 rpm

Further study was I had no low speed. They spun on hi or nothing.
    Fans are fixed and working well. It was Dorman's fault I guess. I sent tech support my question and they told me to swap the motor connectors.
    I argued about this effecting my warranty and they said it would not per its their directive. So I pulled them and reworked the harness without unwrapping tape and looming and they work now as intended.
    So as a starting point I have them set to the commonly recommended -23F when a 180F t-stat replaces the 203?F.

They work great and cycle on the money. Quiet in comparison to the OE.
    A laser tach has them faster then the OE fans both spinning 2605 on hi and 1231 on low. The OE's spin 2491 & 2439 on hi.Impellers look the same in every way but for the hubs a little difference can mean lots of CFM and if they are faster, why are they quieter. Summer city driving monitoring is the agenda now.

dorman_620-039XD_wired_as_shipped.jpg

dorman_620-039XD_motor_plugs_swapped.jpg
    Last edited by 2therock; 08-15-2023 at 06:24 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2therock View Post
    So as a starting point I have them set to the commonly recommended -23F when a 180F t-stat replaces the 203?F.
    you should not be using fahrenheit
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Thanks for the words. I'm not one to argue with a tuner which I am not.

I will experiment but they seem to be doing everything right now. I'm no expert on the matter for sure. Allow me to embarrass myself below.

Right now after driving a while to get everything up to full operating temps, parked in the heat, low speed comes on where its temp set to come on, and runs until the high speed on temp is eventually met, then the hi speed runs until she cools down to the low speed on temp is met.

is your 13 like the later cars where it claims it is 2 speed but there is a medium? that is how mine is... low is the small fan. medium kicks on the big fan, but only at 1000 rpm
    I see I have the "Fan Type" Relay 3 Spd option. You say Small & Large do you mean hi and low speed. Both my fans are the same size physically.

Looking around comparing things F to Celsius I notice the factory F settings there are no decimal point numbers except for the Hysteresis numbers, but in Celsius there are no decimal point numbers anywhere. Did I hit on something there? Are decimals OK or like trying to fool mother nature?

A question I have searched here for years is "What results come from tampering with Hysteresis settings" What reaction can be expected moving higher vs. lower numbers?
    Compared to MOPAR fans they ramp up slowly is why I ask.

Advanced Tuner
    naw yer right.. same size

when my '16 is on low the right fan (lower one, passenger side) is the only fan getting power

i dont have a space age tach or what ever you have to read rpm but its slow

scanner claims 1000

and just on that one fan by the radiator outlet

medium adds the top fan but only at 1000

if you study the hysteresis and compare F vs C you will see that it does not compute