Thread: Early 04 Tune Help

Early 04 Tune Help

Looking for a little guidance on getting a tune right. I'm pretty new to HPTuners and tuning myself. I've been figuring it out slowly but need a little review and guidance. Truck is an early 04 with 100hp sticks and a 62/65/14 charger also have 5" exhaust, injen enclosed air intake, 3.73 gears, and 37s. All I'm trying to achieve is a simple powerful tow tune. Not looking to chase hp numbers. I did log a run with this tune, but managed to not save it on accident. V3 Tow (too hot and smokey).hpt here is the file I currently have written. I do have an EGT probe installed so I am able to monitor EGTS. I have no issues with ditching this file and starting over or possibly buying a file from someone else. Any help would be appreciated.

First, always post your stock file along with your modified file otherwise I have no idea what you changed. I compared it to the closest file I could find but there are some things I'm guessing at.

As for the tune, first the pedal map looks very aggressive to me, the truck is probably jerky or has an extremely sensitive pedal. While pedal feel is somewhat subjective its a good idea for this map to basically be a linear curve, I usually leave the low values however they were stock and raise the 100% values to whatever your hoping to achieve for max MM3 fueling. Side note about 145mm3 is what I can usually get consistently, any higher then that I typically see some sort of reduction in the data logs.

Next I saw you raised all the rpm limiters extremely high, while sometimes setting a value very high will eliminate a limiter or defuel situation for a tow tune I don't see the point. Also IMO this tune needs more work before you should be concerning yourself with high rpm fueling. As for the torque management I see you have basically removed all of it and disabled switches where available, this isn't necessarily bad practice and will usually not hurt anything. Ideally you might find it helpful to raise them one at a time and watch data logs to see what ones are actually holding you back.

As for the pulse width map changes, its never a good ideal to change the entire map it will just screw up torque calculations and throw off your overhead MPG meter. I typically like to add fuel to the higher end of the map like 70-80mm3 or higher, this will leave the cruise and idle areas stock. That being said with really big injectors sometimes its necessary to adjust the lower portion of the pulse map but with 100hp sticks I can tell you it wont be required.

Onto timing, little too much IMO. Here is where I cant tell if you removed all the modifiers and added them to the base map or if your stock file had them this way?

Lastly fuel pressure, I find the stock curve is pretty good, these early trucks don't like a ton of extra pressure.

I have attached what I feel is a better tune to try, let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by BigCE; 08-08-2023 at 03:57 PM.

1 Stock (Do not tune over).hpt here is the stock file. I will definitely check out that file and flash it over to the truck in the morning and give it a whirl. I do appreciate the help. Like previously stated this is quite new to me. The common rail is my first Cummins as I have always been a big 6Liter fan but got too good of a deal on this truck to turn down and I'm definitely happy and impressed with it only thing I've had to complain about with it is the old tuning that used to be on it. Couldn't figure out who I wanted to go through for tuning and figured I'd try my hand at doing it myself.

Tuner in Training
    That tune will run even hotter with that pulse and 100hp injectors. I assume that might have been an error for a tow tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Everytime5.9 View Post
    That tune will run even hotter with that pulse and 100hp injectors. I assume that might have been an error for a tow tune.
    I'm sure its better than the previous tune. However the pulse was slightly higher yes, here is a bit cleaner file now that I have his stock base file to work from.
    Last edited by BigCE; 08-08-2023 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    I'm sure its better than the previous tune. However the pulse was slightly higher yes, here is a bit cleaner file now that I have his stock base file to work from.
    Well there's a big issue with that tune file you just posted last. Fire up the truck and it doesn't want to idle right. It will jump up to 8-900 rpms and drop back down to around 300 and continue going back and forth between those two rpm ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonRailJoe04 View Post
    Well there's a big issue with that tune file you just posted last. Fire up the truck and it doesn't want to idle right. It will jump up to 8-900 rpms and drop back down to around 300 and continue going back and forth between those two rpm ranges.
    Does the truck run with the "stock" file you posted? I changed very little, absolutely nothing in relation to idle no reason it shouldn't idle that I can see.

Does the truck run with the "stock" file you posted? I changed very little, absolutely nothing in relation to idle no reason it shouldn't idle that I can see.
    Just flashed that stock file over and truck idles just fine.

Just flashed that stock file over and truck idles just fine.
    Try that, you can compare the files and see what I changed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try that, you can compare the files and see what I changed.
    V5 is definitely hotter and smokier than the first file you posted. With V5 in a quick WOT pull the truck is super quick to hit 1400 for egts and cruise around 1000. First file would cruise around 7-800 for egts and on a hard wot pull would climb to 1200. So my next question would be, would pulling some timing help lower the egts and smoke in the low rpm range?

V5 is definitely hotter and smokier than the first file you posted. With V5 in a quick WOT pull the truck is super quick to hit 1400 for egts and cruise around 1000. First file would cruise around 7-800 for egts and on a hard wot pull would climb to 1200. So my next question would be, would pulling some timing help lower the egts and smoke in the low rpm range?
    Typically less timing will raise egts, more will lower. Have to be careful though too much and yo will find yourself needing a head gasket. Way too much and you will here it rattle (called timing rattle usually).

Should do some Logs, I would like to see your boost at cruise and WOT also your rail pressure, it might not be holding rail pressure causing a very long duration and smoke.

Potential Tuner

Update?

You ever come up with a tune that works well? I have a truck set up very similar and I'm looking for a tune?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt18ibo View Post
    You ever come up with a tune that works well? I have a truck set up very similar and I'm looking for a tune?
    I can help