Thread: Thread repair + cheapskate = ...

Thread repair + cheapskate = ...

I despise Heli-coils, and Timeserts are super nice if you already have the kit you need. Buying an $80 kit to fix up a $100 Ebay intake manifold just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But if you have a lathe, and an assortment of threaded rod, and way too much free time on your hands...

diy time-serts.jpg

This is 7/16-20 with a 5/16-18 thread inside. According to my tap drill chart 3/8-16 would also fit inside 7/16-20, but I haven't tried it yet. I need to make some of those for the crappy thermostat holes.

Anybody else here stubborn enough to do stuff like this?

Advanced Tuner
    Ive made those on a $220,000 CNC Lathe before just so i didnt have to order them and wait a day haha.
    Even made some out of stainless round bar for a home project. Got so fancy i used the live mill on the lathe to put a flat head slot in the bottom to be able to sink the 'serts deeper without thread damage.

Got a lot of them in all sizes and the installers up to 1/2" except for 7/16 fine thread. They do have the 4 stakes in them though.

20230807_083724.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Never fails tho. If i had everything instock except a 18mm sert, That what was needed that day and of course it was a rush job so just had to make them on the lathe and then order some to have instock.

I don't know how people survive without a lathe.

This is just a dumb 5-minute project but it's something you can't buy as-is at any price. The factory design for these headlight adjusters is trash - mild steel, and fine thread going into plastic. Stainless and coarse thread is the way it should have been from the beginning.
    headlight adjusters.jpg

Airbox lid screws. Stainless, Delrin washers.
    airbox screws.jpg

Want adjustable struts, but would prefer better quality than what comes from the aftermarket lowering kit suppliers?
    diy_struts.jpg

Adjustable ride height sensor arms, proper RH/LH thread, stainless, machined from 5/8" round bar 316. Ends are Delrin and snap onto the existing mount points.
    diy_links.jpg