Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why why WHY...03-06 Trucks...Fail during flash *EVERY TIME* WHY

Advanced Tuner

Why why WHY...03-06 Trucks...Fail during flash *EVERY TIME* WHY

Yes I pull all the fuses..
    Yes my USB cable is new...
    Yes I unclick high speed mode...
    Yes I've even pull entire radios out of the dash and out of the system..
    Yes I make sure they have a good charge...
    Yes I've done EVERYTHING ELSE you're suppose to do...

Every single 03-06 truck I try and tune, will not complete a flash and I have to remove the PCM and unlock it on a bench. Every...single..one...

Anybody got a fix for this incredibly annoying AF issue? Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    I flash P59s on the bench if they are not standalone in a swap vehicle for this very reason. The exception to that is the P59 in my 97 Express, but that does not have the newer communication bus.

California, Where they suck the fun out of Life
    I was having a similar issue flashing felling or when it did flash it was not right. Come to find out it was my OBD2 connector was garbage so I bought a replacement off of Amazon and now all is good. Great connection to my HP tuners.
    OBD2 Plug
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XXJMXWG...roduct_details
    Tool needed
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07476C1LD...roduct_details

I was going to say, I never had a single issue tuning my 2006 Sierra in the truck.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by That_guy View Post

Every single 03-06 truck I try and tune, will not complete a flash and I have to remove the PCM and unlock it on a bench. Every...single..one...

There are variables for each vehicle but generally speaking what I believe you are witnessing is communications interference on the information bus line. Vehicles of this era just start to get things like steering wheel controls as an optional feature that requires buss communication.

It seems as though cheap "door chime modules," that plug in behind the radio in the dash to complete comms between the steering wheel controls have a habit of "squawking," "I'm here!" or some other bs message that causes HPT to squirrel and dump.

Getting "ALL," of the fuses, including SEO, to get the modules to "shut up," is what is needed. The factory door chime modules are not as "noisey," or intrusive and I believe this attributes to many not having any issue at all?

Just observations over the years.

Have had some that it was just easier to whip out the Bench Force and be done with their bolt on asses.

First time I put a theory together was around 04 when doing one for one of the first times with an aftermarket radio door chime module. Noticed after banging the head against the wall for a while I could begin to correlate the write failure / lock up coincidently when the aftermarket door chime module went BONG, BONG, BONG! Again, need a fact check but believe it was the SEO fuse that powered up that crap and pulling it lead to clear flashing.

Senior Tuner

I have luck pulling radio and radio amp fuse under hood and doing things in low speed mode. There is only one truck I can think of in the past few years we had to pull out and do it on a bench.

The 04 CTSV's can be a pain in the ass in the exact same way as these trucks.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

You need to just make a bench flasher. Not very expensive and it eliminates this problem. How long does it take to remove a typical Silverado PCM? I can do them in about 3 to 5 minutes. Just not worth the hassle of a bricked PCM and the time to unbrick it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    You need to just make a bench flasher. Not very expensive and it eliminates this problem. How long does it take to remove a typical Silverado PCM? I can do them in about 3 to 5 minutes. Just not worth the hassle of a bricked PCM and the time to unbrick it.
    Not to mention in this day and age, I do not use HP Tuners for P01s and P59s for new tuning. I use PCM Hammer, Universal Patcher and TunerproRT. I wrote to those using an old desktop and an OBDLink SX cable. Slow but never bricks and so many more tables that can be adjusted as needed than HPTuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    Not to mention in this day and age, I do not use HP Tuners for P01s and P59s for new tuning. I use PCM Hammer, Universal Patcher and TunerproRT. I wrote to those using an old desktop and an OBDLink SX cable. Slow but never bricks and so many more tables that can be adjusted as needed than HPTuners.
    Message sent

I agree, Make something outside the vehicle you can bench test with.

I would buy a couple applicable ECM to play with. You may find a superior ECM by random chance. Or one that plays nice with your files or has more menus or whatever.
    You can use a computer desktop power supply for 12v
    boot.jpg

Tuner in Training
    And the data wire.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimateMe View Post
    And the data wire.
    Can you elaborate on this one?

The OBD port has a data wire or wires. Its either 1 or 2 wires. Thats what the HPtuners plugs into. If you look my picture showing how to turn the ECU on, but on the floor you see HPtuners also plugged into the data wire. It goes to the OBD port, which I cut out of a truck so I could get the port.

ECU data wire -> OBD port -> HPtuners

Advanced Tuner

What version of HPT are you using? Have you recently updated it or have you always had issues? I would also use a new cable to laptop.
    I also found that the initial updated tune would install when things were cooled down sometimes even the next morning. I was getting the bootloader timed out message.
    It only happened on a few different vehicles but yes it is annoying. I tuned a 2004 truck then about 4 months later I was going to make some adjustments to the transmission and BAM bootloader error. I had no issues before, but I also had the 4.4xx or 4.13 I can't remember now but it was giving me fits after the updated software. I am not saying it is HPT that caused it because other tunes after that worked?? I know it stranded us and had to get towed. I created a support ticket and the suggestion was to check all the wiring and use write entire next time. I found a voltage drain on the 2004 truck, the electric trailer brake, but it still failed after that was replaced. I just wait till it cools down and load 1 a day.
    ht took patience!! Mine and the clients.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    The OBD port has a data wire or wires. Its either 1 or 2 wires. Thats what the HPtuners plugs into. If you look my picture showing how to turn the ECU on, but on the floor you see HPtuners also plugged into the data wire. It goes to the OBD port, which I cut out of a truck so I could get the port.

ECU data wire -> OBD port -> HPtuners
    Thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    What version of HPT are you using? Have you recently updated it or have you always had issues? I would also use a new cable to laptop.
    I also found that the initial updated tune would install when things were cooled down sometimes even the next morning. I was getting the bootloader timed out message.
    It only happened on a few different vehicles but yes it is annoying. I tuned a 2004 truck then about 4 months later I was going to make some adjustments to the transmission and BAM bootloader error. I had no issues before, but I also had the 4.4xx or 4.13 I can't remember now but it was giving me fits after the updated software. I am not saying it is HPT that caused it because other tunes after that worked?? I know it stranded us and had to get towed. I created a support ticket and the suggestion was to check all the wiring and use write entire next time. I found a voltage drain on the 2004 truck, the electric trailer brake, but it still failed after that was replaced. I just wait till it cools down and load 1 a day.
    ht took patience!! Mine and the clients.
    It's happened to me throughout probably 10 different updates, 10 different USB cables, and everything else. I know there's a CAN issue with these year model trucks. I just don't know why HPT hasn't figured out or made a work-around for this. It's annoying AF. I've pretty much stopped taking in 03-06 trucks now because of this issue.

This is really something that maybe there is a way to avoid it, it is usually very strange and for no reason, this has happened to me several times with P59 they are crap, but from a moment I made sure that there was a good charge in the battery, I did it with a generic charger but it worked, many times I also took a cable from the obd2 port directly to a pin on the ecu, I don't remember which pin it was, I did it a couple of times and it still gave me problems, I think this is because of him ecm that is obsolete crap left over time but for some reason it is still here

Advanced Tuner
    This is why many shops wont touch older vehicles anymore. Not worth the hassle
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Senior Tuner
    I have one of the first MPVI1s sold and use software version 3.6.26 on those vehicles and have absolutely zero issues reading and writing to any P01 or P59s in the vehicle in high speed mode and never have so something changed with either the HPT hardware or software or both to cause this problem. Even as clunky as Tunercat OBD2 is it also never has an issue reading or writing those PCMs. If this had been an issue back before the Gen 4 vehicles were around and there were only Gen 3s to tune it would have been fixed. I know this doesn't help with anyone stuck with using the new versions of the hardware and software but it's not the vehicles or PCMs.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 08-15-2023 at 02:40 PM.

I usually don't have a problem if I remove these fuses in the ubec
    1. Radio
    2. Radio Amp
    3. Info
    4. SEO B1
    5 SEO Ign

I still prefer to remove and use my bench