Thread: 2001 ram 1500 5.9 Magnum wont write, "erase aborted"

Potential Tuner

2001 ram 1500 5.9 Magnum wont write, "erase aborted"

This seems to be a common issue, but i havent found any solutions to it as of yet. Working on applying a tune to a 2001 ram 1500. Its been fully rebuilt with a comp cam, ported heads, etc. extremely new to the tuning world, so I really dont know what to do.

I can use the beta to scan and read all i want without any issues, but when it comes time to write a file into the ECM, it just automatically says "erase:aborted" and it says "failed" up in the corner on the status.

To note, my truck does run the Jtec pcm, and ive heard that those can be tricky. Also, when i try to look for a "write calibration only" option, there isnt one. theres only "write entire" or "do not write".

any and all help on this would be appreciated. all i know is that it wont flash the ECM correctly due to the fact that it wont erase it to begin with. i even tried re-reading the truck, and writing a "tune" with literally nothing done to it, and it still failed. the battery sits at 12 volts based on the gauge (give or take a tiny bit), and the cable is connected well. no wiring issues that i can see, and it has NOT bricked my ECM.

I'm at a loss, appreciate any input.

also, picking up a few things on the scanner, such as spark retard at 7.5, and 120 degrees and LTFT drops below -11. theres a few other issues im having, hoping a few simple changes is the tuning will fix them though. again, any input is extremely helpful as im very new to this.
    Last edited by alexdabest262; 08-12-2023 at 05:19 PM.

I have the same issue with my 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. I keep hoping with updates on the beta that one day it will work, but I ain't holding my breath. It's my own personal vehicle so it's not a huge deal. Just time wasted and a $50 credit wasted so far.

Tuner in Training
    I can share my experience with my 2002 ram 2500 5.9 magnum (still 2nd gen). I'm using MPVI2+ and latest software as of a few days ago, was tuning over the weekend.

I had to try and write to my ecu 10 to 20 times before i finally had a successful write. It would fail at various spots when writing anywhere from erasing up to ~60% complete when writing.

Using fresh battery in the truck, a couple good usb cables, different usb ports on my laptop, cleaned the OBD port and pins, checked wiring harness as best i could for issues and nothing seemed to have an effect. My dash was showing "no bus" and not driveable since the ecu had failed writes. I just kept at it, nearly gave up but eventually one of them completed. I don't know why or how and I haven't tried writing since then.

You might have a different issue if you're stuck at the same consistent spot. Are you using MPVI3?

Quote Originally Posted by Reapreap View Post
    I can share my experience with my 2002 ram 2500 5.9 magnum (still 2nd gen). I'm using MPVI2+ and latest software as of a few days ago, was tuning over the weekend.

I had to try and write to my ecu 10 to 20 times before i finally had a successful write. It would fail at various spots when writing anywhere from erasing up to ~60% complete when writing.

Using fresh battery in the truck, a couple good usb cables, different usb ports on my laptop, cleaned the OBD port and pins, checked wiring harness as best i could for issues and nothing seemed to have an effect. My dash was showing "no bus" and not driveable since the ecu had failed writes. I just kept at it, nearly gave up but eventually one of them completed. I don't know why or how and I haven't tried writing since then.

You might have a different issue if you're stuck at the same consistent spot. Are you using MPVI3?
    So I am using MPVI3 and am having same problems he has. Are you running the Beta version of VCM suite? Im very aggravated right now... I also have a JTEC+ PCM.

Have you found out anything new yet? Im in exact same scenario as you are and am kinda pissed.

GOT IT FIGURED FOR WHOEVER CARES. You need to download Beta version of VCM suite. That was what I finally had to do. Even though stable says compatible. Load of bullshit.