Thread: How Hp Tuners started.... remember the days

Advanced Tuner

How Hp Tuners started.... remember the days

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=46352

so what happend to not making calbes?

Enjoy guys !!!
    Last edited by viper04af; 02-06-2007 at 11:10 PM.
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

Oh man that brings back memories.

It got to a point where I was frying so many PCM's by pulling chips I just quit. At one point I fried a local friends PCM, and then two of his spares!!!

At that point I said I'm going through the OBD port, or I'm not doing anything. lol

You can find a lot of info on this forum still as well from Ken, Chris and I about how we came about. You can see the progression where we started to put things together and how the pieces all started to fit.

A lot of our findings are still public on this forum , but thats ok.

However many years we're into it now (I lost count), we're still putting in just as many hours.. 1am and I'm pouring through code right now for some new additions.. I can't rememeber the last time I had a work free weekend too, lol.

We keep telling ourselves that soon we'll start cutting back on hours and start putting in what most people consider normal work weeks, 40-50 hours per week.. we've been saying that for a couple years now.. heh

We really enjoy what we're doing though and the feedback and support from the customers is pretty positive, most of the time.

Cheers to another year of HP Tuners products.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Senior Tuner
    Wow Keith, looks like you've been around a while. 3500 posts here and 5000 over there!! How the hell did you get the time to do this!!?? Get some sleep man!

Found the cable comment too, pretty good...

Coffee must be as friendly as his computer to this day.

Good work though guys, We all read that forum with the same context as The Genesis.

Im probably spending half the time u guys are jsut to get my truck working right.

But you should give me a job to crank some numbers and things out for you. I'm young and got enough know how. How about it? Btw i deliver pizzas now jeez I hate that, tell me where i need to go to college and Im in.
    Last edited by redhotjamedjimi; 02-07-2007 at 01:01 PM.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

heh, I'm more of a mountain dew guy.. I rarely drink coffee.

However, lately due to the fact that its so cold here in chicago I've been on a hot chocolate binge.

We are hiring. Check our front page for positions available. We'll be adding another position in the next few weeks as well.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Is there any amount of knowledge someone should know college classes etc to have a jump start into your business? Or is HPtuning so much its own thing education is purely how YOU do it yourself?

Or Calculus etc i could imagine.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Guatemala, Central America (NOT dakota nebraska or kansas)
    how did you got the design of the hardware, it is a custom mould for the unit?
    and what a nice touch in the detail in the rubbery sides
    GREAT WORK!!!!
    I have a date with Eternity, And I don't want to be late!

since I can not keep my hands from disasembling things "just to see how they are made " (you can imagine my parents problems with me thru my teens) my brother even gave me a turtle for pet to see if I could disasemble it!!!! (NO I did not try, I still have it!)
    I see that there are 8 "weld holes" I supose for a connector of some sort, I imagine for the upgrade suite...
    please do not erase me! is there a posibility for me to weld this connector (Im very good at very small welds) and use for extra sensors?
    of course @ my risk!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulletLS1
    since I can not keep my hands from disasembling things "just to see how they are made " (you can imagine my parents problems with me thru my teens) my brother even gave me a turtle for pet to see if I could disasemble it!!!! (NO I did not try, I still have it!)
    I see that there are 8 "weld holes" I supose for a connector of some sort, I imagine for the upgrade suite...
    please do not erase me! is there a posibility for me to weld this connector (Im very good at very small welds) and use for extra sensors?
    of course @ my risk!
    Thanks
    small holes are usually not "welds"...lol...
    solder points would probably be a more appropriate wording...

and we wont erase you...but you might have voided any warranty if you are saying that you have cracked your device open........
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    Aw, Ken's hard work is being tampered with. As much as you are curious (I know, my brother is the same way), I would highly discourage you from reverse engineering the hardware, if you value your HPTuners package.

OK, ok ok(smaller, smaller smaller) ok,ok,ok

definite about welds-solder points, remember that sometimes my brain translator gets a bug even so often! I speak spanish, and english as second, and others but @ 3am! Kmon, get some sleep! (or are you an automated censoring device!!!!?????) Just kidding!!!

besides the ocasional "not recognizing licences" problem I did not go beyond "looking"!
    12secss: I know the feeling, (like the girl In a mini,mini skirt, trying to "hide"!) and every so often you can get a "peek" @ the (now better suited!) weld holes LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bulletLS1
    OK, ok ok(smaller, smaller smaller) ok,ok,ok

definite about welds-solder points, remember that sometimes my brain translator gets a bug even so often! I speak spanish, and english as second, and others but @ 3am! Kmon, get some sleep! (or are you an automated censoring device!!!!?????) Just kidding!!!

besides the ocasional "not recognizing licences" problem I did not go beyond "looking"!
    12secss: I know the feeling, (like the girl In a mini,mini skirt, trying to "hide"!) and every so often you can get a "peek" @ the (now better suited!) weld holes LOL!
    3am posts are what happen when you get put on night shift on a 24hrs a day job so that the customer who has already lost over 1 million dollars can get a drill rig to ounch out of the ground on the far side of the mississippi river within 3 feet of desired exit point after traveling over 5700 ft total.... length....under ground....under the river...using a sensor and some magnetics to determine your position.... and having to dam near rocket science math the entire night....
    and my 3 am post comes because the mud pump breaks and they have to do repairs......and I need a break from all that shit I just mentioned above...LOL
    -Scott -

oh!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    However many years we're into it now (I lost count), we're still putting in just as many hours.. 1am and I'm pouring through code right now for some new additions.. I can't rememeber the last time I had a work free weekend too, lol.

We keep telling ourselves that soon we'll start cutting back on hours and start putting in what most people consider normal work weeks, 40-50 hours per week.. we've been saying that for a couple years now.. heh
    Yes, but you guys have been expanding your market significatly over the last 1.5 years. When I bought the suite 2.5 years ago you guys didn't support near as many platforms as you do now. I have to imagine that once you reach your target platforms, then updating as new PCM's come out shouldn't require as many hours.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by pknowles
    Yes, but you guys have been expanding your market significatly over the last 1.5 years. When I bought the suite 2.5 years ago you guys didn't support near as many platforms as you do now. I have to imagine that once you reach your target platforms, then updating as new PCM's come out shouldn't require as many hours.
    haha, those hours are put in many places OTHER than "updating new pcm's" New hardware, firmware, the entire software builds ie 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, answering support emails ie how do I install the drivers, etc. sales emails ie "wheres my package?", making sure the website & its information stays up to date, etc, etc, etc.

I wish it were as easy as you make it sound but its a small(now 4 man) operation where alot more goes into it behind the scenes then you could imagine
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"