Thread: What is included What do I need

Potential Tuner

Cool What is included What do I need

I have a project LS1 Swap from 2002 Camaro Z28 to 1989 Trans Am GTA

I own both cars. I know I need to make some software changes to the 2002 in order to work on my 1989.

What is included on this VCM Suite and MPV13 device?
    I see the device price but don't see anything about the software. is it a bundle? all included for the price of the device? or is there anything else I need to purchase?

My purpose is to turn off whatever I need in order to be able to run the engine on my 1989 not looking to tune the engine since I really don't know how. can you help me with what is it that I need to make this happened.

David Reyes...

Senior Tuner
    Software is free, you can download it prior to purchasing the MPVI3 interface and can look at a stock files for your donor prior to purchase also.

Unless you run the full airbox/filter/maf tube setup, you will likely need to tune it some. Hard to say where turning stuff off and tuning begins.

Potential Tuner

Cool Thanks

I'm confuse about this part of your comment 'and can look at a stock files for your donor prior to purchase also.'

does this mean that I have to look for these files before I purchase?
    or CAN is another device that I need to purchase?

Senior Tuner
    HPT tuners has a repository for stock tunes that can be viewed with the software, you just can't make any changes or write the files without the MPVI3. You have to create an account but I don't think you have to own an MPVI to do that.

This gives you a chance to see what is available for changing on the ECM prior to purchase.

Potential Tuner
    Got it

What about (Purchase the appropriate number of Universal Credits needed to license your vehicle.) what is this about? I have to purchase some kind of credits to use the software?

Back to your last comment. if I decide to use one of these already created tunes as long as I have the MPVI3 I can just write the tune to the computer and that, will, be it?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by karattini View Post
    Got it

What about (Purchase the appropriate number of Universal Credits needed to license your vehicle.) what is this about? I have to purchase some kind of credits to use the software?

Back to your last comment. if I decide to use one of these already created tunes as long as I have the MPVI3 I can just write the tune to the computer and that, will, be it?
    You can scan the vehicle (read the available data the ECM uses) with the MPVI without credits. In order to write a modified tune to the ECM, you will need to purchase credits for each vehicle tuned. I think it is two credits for the 2002 ECM.

The "stock" tunes are just that and should pretty much match what you already have in the ECM. But you pretty much never want to right a different tune to your ECM. On first use of the MPVI you will read your existing tune. You will then make the desired changes to that file, save as a new file, and then write the new file back to the ECM.

I don't know how all of the various gauges of the '89 work, but anything that uses a computer on it will likely no longer work, if there is anything.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you so much:

are these credits forever? or do I have to renew them at some point?

Senior Tuner
    Once an ECM is licensed, it is basically forever tied to the VIN# on the ECM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Once an ECM is licensed, it is basically forever tied to the VIN# on the ECM.
    Yes, once you've licensed the ecm you should never need to license it again.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks so much this help a lot

Potential Tuner
    Did that 89' have the turbo v6?

Potential Tuner
    I keep hearing I can access the repository but I only receive this message.

The Tune Repository is available to users that have 1 or more devices in their My Devices list.

Has the policy changed?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by BakerCloud240 View Post
    I keep hearing I can access the repository but I only receive this message.

The Tune Repository is available to users that have 1 or more devices in their My Devices list.

Has the policy changed?
    Policy has not changed, you need to have a device on your device list to access the repository.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"