Thread: Looking for DOD/AFM delete options

Tuner in Training

Looking for DOD/AFM delete options

I disabled dod and still got lifter failure and i decide to physically delete afm. I saw too many options.which brand dod kit is best and how hard is tuning?. I don't want any aggressive cam just want to keep it reliable and it is my daily drive. Is there any kit which can run on factory tune with disabled dod?
    Please help. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    You have any tune file for this cam?

Potential Tuner
    You don't need a tune file if you get the stock profile cam, or just an L8T cam which is nearly identical to the non-AFM lobe profiles on the stock L83 cam. Simply disable AFM/DoD in the tune as you said you already have, and delete the SES error codes related to the solenoids (P34xx).

The L86 profile cam is nearly identical to the stock L86 non-AFM lobe profiles, as neither the L8T nor the LT5 have AFM. So for those reading this with an L86, use that one. As the link says, you can run the LT5 cam in an L83 but you'll need new valve springs. Many say you don't have to tune but merely recommend it, which is certainly NOT the case with any aftermarket profile cam. Could be a good option if you're wanting to learn a bit of tuning, as the profile is similar enough to stock that the factory tune should be able to run it without issue but you've got a bit more potential than the stock engine. Most "real" cams are gonna require a "complete" tune, including adjusting the VE and VTT tables, which you're likely gonna wanna have someone with some experience take care of, at least initially.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for great info. For my l83 i order ls7 lifeters and L8T cam and new lifter trays block plugs And i am hoping for the best.

Senior Tuner
    You can lead a horse to water.......

Potential Tuner
    There is a camshaft that will work with the factory tune just change the cam and lifters and turn off the DOD in the tune. From GPI the cam PN is 12689035 $152.95.

The LT5 cam works perfectly fine in a L83. It makes them pretty fun.