Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Envoy Denali 5.3l guidance

Potential Tuner

2006 Envoy Denali 5.3l guidance

let me start with saying sorry if this gets long winded...lol

engine is completely stock

I am looking for a guide to improve throttle response, I have checked here, Google, YouTube and so on and the only guide I found was on here but it was 2 or 3 years old, was a great and detailed guide, but unfortunately the interface was pretty different from what I have (I'm using the newest VCM Suite)

I am pretty new to HP Tuners, I figured out how to disabled my DOD, and raised my top speed...but that's pretty much it...I am not looking for a free tune, just a push in the right direction on what I can change safely and what to avoid changing so I don't blow my engine/trans up, and maybe what increments I should change by (ie: change under idle tab>>Base setpoint>>base>>increase the entire in gear line by X 1.05 at a time) or (Idle tab>>minimum setpoint>>VSS set all to 700) just giving examples I have no idea what me doing any of that would do! lol

I have tried tweaking a few other things, but I kind of panic and just reset it to the DOD/top speed tune without even test driving...lol

let me know if you need/want me to record with the VCM scanner, and what conditions to do it...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by madman202020; 08-24-2023 at 02:02 PM.

Post your tune file.

Potential Tuner
    to be clear, you're referring to the .hpt file?

if so, then I just added it to the original post
    Last edited by madman202020; 08-24-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Flash this, it's the 'greatest hits' from my own '06 Envoy. Use premium fuel.

2006 Envoy Stock tune with DOD Delete 07-21-23 - BS.hpt

It has tons of Shift Torque Management in it, may not be your thing, but I love it. Trans will last much longer if it's only making ~50lb-ft when it has to make the shift.

My truck is night-and-day better with the MAF removed and running speed density only, but I didn't fail it in that file. I also didn't change anything in your MAF curve, because I have no data on that in my file. I think they work better without it. But if you want to try it with the MAF failed:

2006 Envoy Stock tune with DOD Delete 07-21-23 - BS no MAF.hpt

Potential Tuner
    I do have a MAF still, so I will look into removing and see what the benefits and downfalls are... thank you I will compare the 2 files and see what you changed to see what I want to change...

The second file will force the MAF to be ignored, it can still be plugged in. But if it does better without it there's no reason to keep it installed, unless you're subject to emissions laws wherever you live.

Potential Tuner
    nope, no emissions here...I had a friend of mine poke thru the turn, said everything looks fine, so I started poking around on mine, and started increasing in small increments and ended up pretty damn close to where you have yours...lol...I will poke around with the MAF Delete when it's not 113* out there...lol

again, thank you...it gives me a great place to start and see if I can get it to where it needs to be...

These trucks are severely neutered by the spark timing, they DO NOT WANT it to make any power past like 0.64g airmass. Funny how much they wake up when you put some real timing in them, almost like they crippled the 5.3s just to make the LS2 look better.

Potential Tuner
    did you happen to disable DTS warnings?

I love my Envoy Denali...this 5.3l has been great to me for the most part (aside from someone that had it before me that put in a torque converter and didn't tighten the flex plate bolts down all the way and caused one to back out causing a knocking sound, and ended up stripping out at least 2 of them into the torque converter, cost me $1400 to get fixed) runs great now, and just need to tweak her a little more to get her where she needs to be to fully wake her up...

DeVille Touring Sedan? Digital Theater System? Sorry, don't recognize the acronym.

I wasn't looking for one of these trucks but stumbled onto one on Ebay, out-of-state salvage title, for $2400 and couldn't refuse. All it needed was a new rear bumper cover and an inspection, clean title after that.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    These trucks are severely neutered by the spark timing, they DO NOT WANT it to make any power past like 0.64g airmass. Funny how much they wake up when you put some real timing in them, almost like they crippled the 5.3s just to make the LS2 look better.
    I own a 2006 Envoy Denali as well. I went through the engine, rebuilt it with new pistons etc. You're right, the stock timing tables neutered the damn thing. I wound up blending in the timing tables from a 2007 Tahoe with a 5.3, made a HUGE difference. Especially since knock learn factor learns up from the low octane table.

Potential Tuner
    DTC I meant...lol

I turned off the DOD codes that you missed. The brake booster vacuum sensor is only used for the DOD and nothing else. And P34xx codes have to be set to No Error if the hardware is removed, and setting them to No Error doesn't hurt anything if the stuff is still there and it's just deleted in the tune, so might as well turn them off now.

Potential Tuner
    I didn't miss them per say, I just didn't know they needed to be turned off...lol thank you, I noticed that some were shut off, I just wasn't sure what ones...I will go back in on mine and shut them off when I mess with it next

again, thank you

The two files I posted are your file with changes copied over. You can flash them as-is if you want to, only 'write calibration' needed (no OS changes were made).

Potential Tuner
    but then I wouldn't learn! lol..I am defiantly poking thru it tho seeing what you changed and googling what everything does and then making minor changes to see how the truck reacts...

thank you for sharing the file with me, I might flash it on there after I mess with my file for a while just to see what it does

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I turned off the DOD codes that you missed. The brake booster vacuum sensor is only used for the DOD and nothing else. And P34xx codes have to be set to No Error if the hardware is removed, and setting them to No Error doesn't hurt anything if the stuff is still there and it's just deleted in the tune, so might as well turn them off now.
    Interesting... I only disabled the DoD in the editor. I did not disable any codes, haven't had an issue. Is there an underlying issue caused by not disabling the DoD fault codes? Its passed all its emission readiness tests, so I can only assume just disabling the DoD in the calibration is all thats needed. I'm a rookie though, so I dont know, what I dont know lol

Senior Tuner
    With the master DOD switch set to disable the PCM doesn't even run the tests on those codes.

I apologize, those codes should definitely be turned back on. Because that totally makes sense now that you've explained that it still works fine when done half-assed.

Advanced Tuner
    Oh no, dont get me wrong here. I dont agree with doing anything half-assed. I'm a rookie at tuning so I didnt know. If the right way, is to turn them off, then thats how it should be done. I was just simply curious what issue might arise by leaving them enabled. I will need to go through and disable them.