Thread: Greenhorn question 2016 6.7

Tuner in Training

Greenhorn question 2016 6.7

Hello all, I'm new to HP tuners, been over on ps.org for a long time. Wanted to expand my knowledge and go down the tuning rabbit hole. Here it is, I have a 2016 F350 srw, weight reduction, full pusher piping, ccv to atmosphere etc. but stock fueling and turbo. Tunes are by Cale(tyrant), bought a "lifetime" package but can't get ahold of him to add on tunes for upgraded turbo or fueling. Planning on getting an RCD CPX pump and a KC whistler stage 2. How difficult would it be to make adjustments for those mods to get the most out of them? Just to be transparent I have not ordered the needed MPVI3 hardware as of yet. What else would I need to accomplish this? All help is greatly appreciated!

Tuner in Training
    1-10 scale of learning to tune 9.5, you will have problems getting help. People hold onto information and gaurd it with thier life. Some people will give you bits and pieces to help here and there. Emissions stuff is taboo these days so just forget that side of it. I still dont know what mpvi2 vs mpvi3 benefits are or not. It is all trial by fire. If you make a bad adjustment and break something, while that is the cost of learning. If I had to do it all over again I would find a LOCAL tuner you can ring up when needed in person. Fuel an air are not horrible to tune for in the sense you want to follow stock map and just slowly bump it up. The problem becomes other changes to go with it. For example your shift strategy would need adjusted, tcc lock up ect... I know its not what you want to hear. I bought hpt back in 2015. I wish I would not have invested in it and missed out on other products that would have better suited me thinking hpt could do it. Others may have better experince. Lets be honest there is money at stake and bragging rights. So no one wants to give away trade secrets. There is alot to learn just with hpt itself let alone specific vehicles. Then HPT can decide at any time to take away what ever they want so you are left holding the bag hoping you can still drive/race your vehicle.

Are you running Cale's tunes through ezlynk or sct?

Tuner in Training
    EZlynk

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by onebigburb View Post
    1-10 scale of learning to tune 9.5, you will have problems getting help. People hold onto information and gaurd it with thier life. Some people will give you bits and pieces to help here and there. Emissions stuff is taboo these days so just forget that side of it. I still dont know what mpvi2 vs mpvi3 benefits are or not. It is all trial by fire. If you make a bad adjustment and break something, while that is the cost of learning. If I had to do it all over again I would find a LOCAL tuner you can ring up when needed in person. Fuel an air are not horrible to tune for in the sense you want to follow stock map and just slowly bump it up. The problem becomes other changes to go with it. For example your shift strategy would need adjusted, tcc lock up ect... I know its not what you want to hear. I bought hpt back in 2015. I wish I would not have invested in it and missed out on other products that would have better suited me thinking hpt could do it. Others may have better experince. Lets be honest there is money at stake and bragging rights. So no one wants to give away trade secrets. There is alot to learn just with hpt itself let alone specific vehicles. Then HPT can decide at any time to take away what ever they want so you are left holding the bag hoping you can still drive/race your vehicle.
    I like a challenge. I work on these trucks and heavy equipment for a living, also aircraft, so I learn quickly. Thanks for your response!

Tuner in Training
    I started doing my own tuning a couple years back using another's tune as a base. The best advice I can give on starting is to download the tunes as they are. Hopefully they aren't locked up. Use the compare function and a stock 2016 tune file to compare changes. Also browse the forum for other files to see what other are doing. Try not to make big changes to multiple tables and limit changes to a couple of parameters at a time. Use the VCM Scanner to datalog.

What part of NV?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    I started doing my own tuning a couple years back using another's tune as a base. The best advice I can give on starting is to download the tunes as they are. Hopefully they aren't locked up. Use the compare function and a stock 2016 tune file to compare changes. Also browse the forum for other files to see what other are doing. Try not to make big changes to multiple tables and limit changes to a couple of parameters at a time. Use the VCM Scanner to datalog.

What part of NV?
    Thanks for the advice! I hope it's not locked up so I can just build off the current tune like you said. I'm in Pahrump.

Most likely the file is locked, but if not, that'll give you a head start. Like others have said, if you have to start from scratch, start with a stock 2016 file, and make baby changes. I started out making too many changes at once, so I didn't know exactly what did what. If you ever have questions or need help making changes, feel free to give me a holler via PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad0407 View Post
    Most likely the file is locked, but if not, that'll give you a head start. Like others have said, if you have to start from scratch, start with a stock 2016 file, and make baby changes. I started out making too many changes at once, so I didn't know exactly what did what. If you ever have questions or need help making changes, feel free to give me a holler via PM.
    Will do, appreciate it!