Thread: how do I look at a file with no interface?

how do I look at a file with no interface?

Long time user of HPT... you can probably still find my posts from way back when I was a beta tester and helped develop the software in its infancy

I no longer had any desire to work on other peoples stuff if it had a stock ECU, and several years ago, back on MPVI v1, I sold my interface to a shop that had more desire than I did

now I'm at a point where I feel like I may want to get back into an MPVI box for my own vehicle only...and I'm trying to determine if I want to spend the money or not...
    I downloaded 2 different HPT "Stock" labeled tunes...
    but when I open them, it tries to force me to connect a device or it wont download the definition?

I literally only want to look at them to determine if I want to spend the money or not
    just trying to see what is defined and what is not so I dont waste money if part of the definition doesnt include what I want to edit or look at

since when was this a thing where I have to have a device to open a file?? or am I just simply missing a setting somewhere?
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    What vehicle? I haven’t seen that on any of the older stuff but some of the newest stuff can be totally different.

Advanced Tuner
    You're not missing a setting or anything. Newer stuff requires dongle to be connected in order to download defs. My 2003 C5 loads up without dongle/internet connection, my 2017 Audi requires it. I'm not sure if the requirement is based on vehicle year or controller.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    some ecm's cannot be read natively so we create virtual stock files from them which are only available on our servers, this is the most common reason for needing a device which is required for opening these virtual reads.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    some ecm's cannot be read natively so we create virtual stock files from them which are only available on our servers, this is the most common reason for needing a device which is required for opening these virtual reads.

well.. bill....
    you know me....
    so find me a solution....

2015 4x4 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7.
    -Scott -

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    well.. bill....
    you know me....
    so find me a solution....

2015 4x4 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7.
    Unfortunately the only solution would be to either purchase an MPV3 device for find someone local that has one that you can use to open the file.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"