Thread: NEED HELP! No crank no start 2011 Cummins 6.7L after VCM read attempt

Potential Tuner

Unhappy NEED HELP! No crank no start 2011 Cummins 6.7L after VCM read attempt

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 6.7. Larger turbo, egr delete, def delete, no cats, built trans.. etc.. It has a H&S mini maxx tuner on it. (Came with the truck) I made the mistake of trying to read the file with my VCM Editor!!! Once I hit read it gave me a fail to read error. I disconnected and re connected the H&S mini maxx.. Somehow it bricked the ECM/PCM. Truck will no crank no start. Flashing key light, every light on dash is on. Windows work, key fob works..

It seems to be in some kind of lock out mode from H&S.. they are out of business now and I have no way to contact for support

OBD2 port has nothing. I tried to write a factory file just to get the truck started so I can re-install this stupid H&S tune.... no luck. cant write, cant do anything.. PLEASE HELP! I am an armature I have no idea how to get the truck running again.

I can only get one code: U1601!!!

Is there any way to get the H&S back on??? I think the Mini Maxx has some type of copyright block and it locked me out completely

Just need some direction here.

Totally willing to pay up someone if they can help me out on this! Or even remote tune if possible..
    Everything I find says the dealer may have to unlock and start fresh???

Potential Tuner
    ANYONE?? Just need some direction please! This truck is stuck in a parking lot and I dont know where to tow it to or how to even begin to fix it... Like I said, Willing to pay for info or help..

Sorry you tried to read the ECM. There are warnings about doing that (same can happen if the truck had been tuned with EFILive and you try to read with HP Tuners). @Jim P may be able to help, but I haven't seen him around much lately. You may need to bench flash the ECM.
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Potential Tuner
    Yeah, in my mind I was thinking, reading shouldn?t hurt it. Only writing. WRONG!! I should have read this all before plugging in 😆 I Messed up. Luckily I found a local guy yesterday who fixed it and tuned it for $550.

I?m not sure how he did it. The truck was completely bricked.

He let me know that 06 and up Cummins I shouldn?t plug HP into at all. They have a problem I guess with bricking. Obviously if there is already a tune on it.

Lesson learned for me. Next time I will research before trying to plug in again to a vehicle.

Potential Tuner

Resolved

Found a local guy who could tune. He was able to flash the truck back to Factory and then put a custom tune on it. Thanks for the feedback. Now I know to be more careful going forward.