Thread: DoD delete and suggestion

Tuner in Training

DoD delete and suggestion

Hello Guys,

I decided to remove dod system on 2016 l83 I Got kit from SDPC and thing is i don't have enough time to perform this task. I got lifter issue in past and i put lifter which i purchace from
    Amazon and it failed after 900 km but now according to my time It is easy to put afm lifter than dod delete kit. YES , I DISABLED DOD and still got lifter failed. But i don't know the reason what i did just disable P0420 P0430 after few days i got P0172 runing rich on bank 1 and then next day start getting misfire on #1 P0301 i am 100% sure its collapsed lifter. Did I do something wrong by disabling P0420 -30 and COT - disable.

So, Can anyone tell if their is any Better AFM lifters available? Or should i go OEM? I saw Melling manufacture those lifters are those any better?

Please let me know thanks in advance.

Disabling DOD without physically changing the lifters for a non-DOD setup doesn't really fix anything. The lifters themselves are the problem

Tuner in Training
    This is not completely true. The problem with the lifters is that the locking pin wears and creates a failure point. If the lifters are never actuated into the locked position then there will be no failure. The manual trans Camaros have the same motor as the auto trans cars, but the ECM is not enabled for the DOD and there is no wiring harness connection to go to the engine. The manual trans Camaros don't have the DOD lifter failure like is reported on the autos.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
    This is not completely true. The problem with the lifters is that the locking pin wears and creates a failure point. If the lifters are never actuated into the locked position then there will be no failure. The manual trans Camaros have the same motor as the auto trans cars, but the ECM is not enabled for the DOD and there is no wiring harness connection to go to the engine. The manual trans Camaros don't have the DOD lifter failure like is reported on the autos.
    Same with the C7. If the lifter isnt locked, they usually never fail. Unless you work for GM like me and see idiots not changing their oil.

Tuner in Training
    Yes i disabled it in ECM still gota lifter failure and resplaced with aftermarket one failed after a month and now i am taking last change ny replacing it with OEM
    Last edited by Baljit; 08-31-2023 at 12:31 PM.

Potential Tuner
    i have a 2015 5.3 that had a lifter lock up at around 120k miles so i swapped the lifter with new gm lifter and did the db sport dod delete. well about 30k miles later it locked up again i guessed it was a leak on the dod oil valve . Bought new gm lifters for the truck and they were about .02 longer which kept the #4&6 valves open just a smidge . After all that i said screw it and bought a stage 2 from tsp and now have to pick up tuning to get this truly disabled and get this realy fixed . I have used the holley sniper on my drag car so some of this is familiar but a lot is like i just landed on the moon or a desert in arizona

Tuning Addict
    Well there's play in the lifters and the 2 latching pins will wear against the shelf due to that play causing the lifters to fail even if they're not getting used for DOD operations. The lifters themselves are supposed to always be locked contrary to the earlier statements and only unlock during DOD operation. Engine's typically coming from GM without DOD don't have the DOD internals and why you shouldn't see them fail unless things have changed and they're now putting the same motors in everything and throwing away their profits.

I guess it would depend on your oil pressure too. If it's high enough it'll cause the lifters to unlatch and re-latch such as using a heavier weight oil and especially on colder starts.

For anyone looking on operational info - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkly7XmMsOs

The one thing it doesn't mention is during DOD oil pressure is basically jacked up and dead headed causing the "blow off" to open in the oil pan, so if one is doing a delete and wanting more oil pressure it might be a good idea to block off that particular "blow off" or even swap out the pump for a higher volume lower pressure one...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 10-29-2023 at 12:00 AM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC