Thread: S10 2.2 power potential

Tuner

S10 2.2 power potential

I have a 2000 S10 with a 2.2 and five speed.
    I also have HPTuners and was thinking of adding this truck so I can tune it.
    Can anyone talk me into it?
    More specifically if I got a better exhaust, intake, electric fan and messed around with the tuning how much better than the 120 stock hp could it get?
    This is the only stock vehicle I have out of four and I need to do something minor to it.
    Anyone try this and have any numbers? Or guesses.

Advanced Tuner
    It's going to be different, my guess with the 2.2 if it's the 2200 is upping the PE timing table will add a ton, our cavalier on a bad run gained half a second on the 1/4 time with just more timing, and if it wasn't the last track day she could have ran again and probably dropped lower. HP gains unknown since we haven't ever dyno'd it.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

i am the man u want to see. what do u wat o do apsirated or turbo? apsrated get some headers a decent intake maybe tbi spacer run the super gas and play with timing. maybe increase pe to below 12.5 for a bit of extra hp. change al you pe enable to below 3800 and start looing into maybe a wideband for your o2 if u want nos or anything with extra horses. let us know what u want exactly and show your file we will rip it up.

i have 99 pace maker headers for sale with no down pipe but if u can weld ill givbe it away dirt cheap. then run your ow 2 -1/4 inch exhaust would be bitching
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Tuner
    Well looking to stay normally aspirated. Trying to get as much power out of it as possible just so it can be fast for a 4 cylinder.
    I can do a header and exhaust, who makes an intake?
    Where are you located, I might pick up that header if close.
    I don't have HPT for this truck yet, but I have it for other vehicles so I won't be hard for me to get it if it will be worth it.

http://www.jbodyperformance.com/new/...es.php?genId=3, alot of engine parts cams etc. summitracing.com will cover your intake and pacemaker exhaust is very nice. you can also look into a 97 cam for extra air tho it will mess with ve a lil bit.

im in jersey btw. will ship it if needed it doesnt weight much. u will need the downpipe etc. tho. if u dont mind custom fab.

also if u get some silicon couplers from atp turbo and either steel of aluminum bends 3.0" and a filter from summit u can save some mullah even go longer than usual.
    Last edited by redhotjamedjimi; 03-01-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Tuner
    Thanks for your advice.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2001 S-10 2.2 flex. I just bought hptuners today. Has anyone tuned this motor? I am not even sure if hptuners will work an the flex motor but I'm gonna try.

Tuner
    I have another question. Is 200 hp possible NA?
    And if so can it be done with the stock long block?
    Just cam, header, intake. What about injector sizes?
    I am familiar with old carb'd V8's but I know little about FI 4 cylinders.

should work on flex at most if u have a prob send in your help file to hptuners. u do this when u see the error message go to help and info.

200 hp n/a may be possible with new cam exhaust intake from God himself. but without going to hardcore its more likely with a 50 shot of nos or soemthing or that nature. from a stock 125 id say with stock everything except exhaust intake with super and alot of tuning your looking at 160-170 at most, dont quote me. if your manual its possible to get more horses with a aluminum flywheel you would be closer to 180. and a throttle body spacer and wideband wouldnt hurt at all.

your injectors are 168ccish i believe if anyone knows better than let me know my injector constant is off then. 168 is good for id say 170 hpish with stock fuel pressure. thats about 80% duty cycle. even up to 200 at wot i couldnt see any harm coming from it.(with clean newer injectors with low miles >150000 miles.
    Last edited by redhotjamedjimi; 03-04-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Tuner
    Great info thanks again.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2000 s10 2.2 stick shift bored .030 over with a cam. I really need to get a tune can anyone point me in the right direction? What do i need to get or who to talk to?

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I just finished installing a new engine in my 2001 Chevy s10.
    Its a 2.2 flex with a manual transmission. The only mods it has is a Webb stage 2 cam and
    an ebay Chinese stainless steel header. I just purchased HP tuners for it. With the stock
    OEM tune it is obviously too rich. I have HP tuners able to read and write with the ECM.
    At this point I'm trying to figure out where to start making some changes. I'm guessing
    I should start with the idle, and go from there. I'm brand new to this. I have been watching
    some youtube videos and trying to get as much education as I can find. Also thinking about
    disabling the VATS to eliminate anypossible security issue that could come up as the truck
    gets older. What has anyone here encountered? Any recommendations?

These are the files of my stock OEM Tune and the VCM scanner log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Hey, I just downloaded the stock tune file and it won't let me open it. It says that it's a file from a remote tune that I wasn't a part of.

Are there any there any tunes that I can download and use on my 99' S10 2.2 NV1500?

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpeedLoDrag85 View Post
    Are there any there any tunes that I can download and use on my 99' S10 2.2 NV1500?
    No. Tune repository only has stock tunes. May want to download your stock tune and read the threads here to get an idea what can be changed. Like PE and timing specifically. Also if it is auto trans you can use BlueCat and it will make a huge difference.

Potential Tuner
    Hey guys, I have a 2000 Sonoma 2.2 5 speed turbo project I'm working on. I have an AEM wideband and boost gauge/sensor set up. I'm having issues getting hpt to log or even acknowlege their existence. I know it's probably something simple or easy that I'm missing, but any help is much appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    More details of your sensor setup might be helpful. You should probably start your own thread. Might be better to ask in the external sensor forum since this isn't really vehicle dependent and this forum doesn't get much traffic.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks and much appreciated, newbie here just trying sort things out.