Thread: Tundra 17 5.7 flex fuel

Potential Tuner

Tundra 17 5.7 flex fuel

I have been lurking around long enough to learn that i don't know anything about tuning. I don't want to change anything on someone else's Truck just mine. I'm a nuts and bolts guy but feel like I can learn this. Where do I need to start buying and as far as credits how much do I need to buy.? My truck is a great truck but it shifts awful and very inconsistent. I have read most everything in the Toyota section of this HP Tuners forum and don't have a clue where to start exactly. I hope to fix a couple issues without worrying the hell out of everybody. I live in the Middle TN area and there is a lot of people around who are happy to make your money disappear but don't fix anything. Any advice or help is appreciated. Sunfish

Potential Tuner
    easy fix if youre interested is look into Overland Tailor Tuning. i have their tune and its great. also make sure to check you trans fluid level

Tuner in Training
    It?s intimidating, for sure! I was in your shoes a year ago, but have gained confidence and don?t mind fiddling around with my tune a bit.

I did start with a tuner shop that got everything started on their dyno. They dialed in my engine really well, but nothing in the trans. I?ve learned a lot on here and on Tundras.com forum about transmission tuning and dove in. Took about 10 revisions because I?d only make one adjustment at a time, but it?s awesome now.

If you want to use HP Tuners on your own, you need to buy an MPVI for $400. Then credits to gain access to your ECU. Another $200 for that.

If you have a shop do the work, they?ll use their MPVI but you still buy credits and pay their labor. Fantastic, but you can?t make future adjustments if you don?t have the tool. IMO, it?s worth owning.