Thread: Issue getting E40 dialed in OLSD AFR not responding right

Potential Tuner

Cool Issue getting E40 dialed in OLSD AFR not responding right

So ive been chasing this issue for a long time. have SS2 cam installed and have been running MAF closed loop for the time being. (runs slightly rich)
    Every time I switch it over to OLSD this is my issue
    The first flash and tune brings the percentages from around 20% to around 15%
    Second flash brings it closer but not always 6-13% AFR error
    seems like once its gets close i reflash it and the AFRs jump to 25-30% off.
    Seems hit or miss with the AFR corrections.
    The tune i posted is where it seemed have 13-14 cruising 12 WOT
    Reflashed that tune to see if it likes it and the same tune ran pig rich...9-10 at idle
    Intake temps are up 120-160 cruising... wondering if maybe it getting hotter through out the day would do this?
    It just seems like it dose not want to read the VE table i have... like a multiplier or something is hanging onto it intermittently
    will post The tune that seemed to run decent AFR.
    Also not happy with IAT will be working on them soon
    TIA guys.
    Just also realized after switching it back to MAF closed loop. the LTFT are around 15% and STFT 1-2% Could this be a case of a bad Wideband sensor as im reading 9.60 while my LTFT are around 15.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]136522[/ATTACH
    Last edited by tylluc20; 09-02-2023 at 05:38 PM.

The first thing is open your VE table in 3D and look at the huge spike that is in there. Manually put your cursor on the tip and bring it down to the adjoining cells. Then click smooth selection twice. That will smooth out the table a little. Every time that you download a tune, drive around about 10 minutes. It takes a while for the changes to take effect. Otherwise you will chase your tail forever. You also need to make P0101 and P0102 Mil on first error in DTC's. In engine diag, --airflow--Maf fail high, make that 2. Are you doing the 1/2% change when you modify the VE ? When scanning, drive as smooth as possible, even to the point of braking and keeping your foot on the gas to slow gradually.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    The first thing is open your VE table in 3D and look at the huge spike that is in there. Manually put your cursor on the tip and bring it down to the adjoining cells. Then click smooth selection twice. That will smooth out the table a little. Every time that you download a tune, drive around about 10 minutes. It takes a while for the changes to take effect. Otherwise you will chase your tail forever. You also need to make P0101 and P0102 Mil on first error in DTC's. In engine diag, --airflow--Maf fail high, make that 2. Are you doing the 1/2% change when you modify the VE ? When scanning, drive as smooth as possible, even to the point of braking and keeping your foot on the gas to slow gradually.
    I always do 1/2% change on the tables, maf is failed and it runs in SD. As far as the 10 minutes, do you know what happens inside the ecu to take time to reset? given there is no closed loop feedback telling it what to do...shouldn't it respond to the Ve table its given immediately, as technically thats all it is running on is that table?
    Even crusing in it for a decent amount of time it still runs "rich" on my wide band, starting to think it might be my AEM lying to me, as when i run both o2 sensors the the LTFT are 15% 2-3% STFT 9.6-11 AFR on the wideband would make me think the gauge is jumping around/sticking. My guts telling me there is a gremlin in the mix...thinking that could be it.

If data from your wideband told you to build a VE table that looks like that, there's something wrong with it.

Potential Tuner
    im gonna buy a new sensor and check it out.

As for why you should drive for a while before logging, the phrase you want to do a search on is 'rich after reflash'. Injector Tip Temp is a calculated value, not an actual measurement, and after a reflash it sometimes defaults to the max temp.

Advanced Tuner
    OL Gas(Gear) table needs to be 10, not 1.
    Set cylinder volume back to stock.
    Set ITT table back to stock. Use advice from above and drive around for a bit after a reflash. In your logs, filter to exclude all data when ITT is above 138F.
    Set your VE table to stock and just lower everything under 3,600 10% as a starting point.
    The file you posted has odd dynamic airflow settings. MAF only more logical values would be Disable 100rpm Re-enable 50rpm. VE only Disable 8,100rpm Re-enable 8,000rpm.
    MAF fail settings, I would use 1 or 0 for both, but if you confirmed MAF fails with what you have then that works also.
    Cylinder charge bias is all 1, so your computer is going to bias the temp calculation, which is used for fueling, towards coolant temp at all times.