Thread: Battery disconnect after writing tune?

Tuner in Training

Battery disconnect after writing tune?

Any "benefit" to disconnect/reconnect battery after writing a tune? Cheers!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Typically no.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

As a general rule taught to me by GM many years ago, I will typically turn off the ignition, open and close doors on any programming. This was reinforced back in 2008 or so when we were having issues ABS/Traction control/Stabilitrak having the light on with no codes. This brought back memories. Just a habit I got myself into. Does it help? Don't know but I just think letting the module reboot helps.

Here is part of the bulletin

1. Perform TECH 2 EBCM Clear All DTCs command. If not already performed.
    2. After EBCM Clear All DTCs process is complete the EBCM Telltales may still appear.
    3. Key Off Ignition, Remove Key, Open and Close the drivers door to turn off RAP (Retained Accessory Power) and wait at least 60 seconds.
    4. Key On Ignition, Are the EBCM related Telltales still present?
    If No Telltales and No DTCs, no further action is required.
    If Yes Telltales and DTC present, follow the appropriate Diagnostic Trouble Code procedure.
    If Yes Telltales and NO DTC present, operate the vehicle at speeds greater than 15 km/h (10 mph) to complete the self test. If vehicle is repaired the EBCM will turn off the indicators. If a DTC resets follow the appropriate Diagnostic Trouble Code procedure.
    5. If telltales remain with NO DTCs after the drive cycle, then disconnect battery for at least 60 seconds and then reconnect. This will insure a complete power down of the EBCM. Turn Key on ignition and operate the vehicle at speeds greater than 15 km/h (10 mph) to complete the self test. Verify no telltales or DTCs reset.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    As a general rule taught to me by GM many years ago, I will typically turn off the ignition, open and close doors on any programming. This was reinforced back in 2008 or so when we were having issues ABS/Traction control/Stabilitrak having the light on with no codes. This brought back memories. Just a habit I got myself into. Does it help? Don't know but I just think letting the module reboot helps.

Here is part of the bulletin

1. Perform TECH 2 EBCM Clear All DTCs command. If not already performed.
    2. After EBCM Clear All DTCs process is complete the EBCM Telltales may still appear.
    3. Key Off Ignition, Remove Key, Open and Close the drivers door to turn off RAP (Retained Accessory Power) and wait at least 60 seconds.
    4. Key On Ignition, Are the EBCM related Telltales still present?
    If No Telltales and No DTCs, no further action is required.
    If Yes Telltales and DTC present, follow the appropriate Diagnostic Trouble Code procedure.
    If Yes Telltales and NO DTC present, operate the vehicle at speeds greater than 15 km/h (10 mph) to complete the self test. If vehicle is repaired the EBCM will turn off the indicators. If a DTC resets follow the appropriate Diagnostic Trouble Code procedure.
    5. If telltales remain with NO DTCs after the drive cycle, then disconnect battery for at least 60 seconds and then reconnect. This will insure a complete power down of the EBCM. Turn Key on ignition and operate the vehicle at speeds greater than 15 km/h (10 mph) to complete the self test. Verify no telltales or DTCs reset.
    Well I certainly didn't do all that - but I did read and clear codes prior to writing tune. There were some chimes and a variety of DIC messages - even after writing was complete - but after key off for 30sec and restart nothing seems amiss...