Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: WB Maf Tuning ... Questions/Logs

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    His is an 04 so he doesn't have the 2ndary VE. Only the 97-00 LS1's had the 2nd VE.
    ....and my HO and LO are the same

How come my VE never stabilizes ....... always seems to be off 1-2% in easy ranges. Sometimes more in the higher RPM/MAF areas. If its 10 degrees cooler ambient, does it make sense that my VE error will be more negative??
    ....cooler air = denser = richer ???????

I am adjusting by %-1/2 and smoothing the last two times.

Here is todays........I want to start MAF..... what do you think???

DH

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
    ....and my HO and LO are the same

How come my VE never stabilizes ....... always seems to be off 1-2% in easy ranges. Sometimes more in the higher RPM/MAF areas. If its 10 degrees cooler ambient, does it make sense that my VE error will be more negative??
    ....cooler air = denser = richer ???????

I am adjusting by %-1/2 and smoothing the last two times.

Here is todays........I want to start MAF..... what do you think???

DH
    well..GM has a terrible Airmass Calclulation...
    you would think its would be cooler = richer...but its not cause GM was stupid and didnt do any real world testing..they just plugged in ideal gas laws....and flunked the class...

to get your day to day...temperature to temperature....fueling correct
    you will need to mess with the complex cylinder chage bias in your Airflow tab..I suggest starting with a value in the middle or the two extremes...in your case this # = 1.0(even blend of IAT/ECT in the calculations
    then you will have to retune your VE table as it will change it by probably 7~10% higher in some places..
    and then double check your day to day...and adjust acordingly

this has been my method on many many vehicles and it works well as a starting point...you still have to tweak it for your car...but its a start
    -Scott -

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    well..GM has a terrible Airmass Calclulation...
    you would think its would be cooler = richer...but its not cause GM was stupid and didnt do any real world testing..they just plugged in ideal gas laws....and flunked the class...

to get your day to day...temperature to temperature....fueling correct
    you will need to mess with the complex cylinder chage bias in your Airflow tab..I suggest starting with a value in the middle or the two extremes...in your case this # = 1.0(even blend of IAT/ECT in the calculations
    then you will have to retune your VE table as it will change it by probably 7~10% higher in some places..
    and then double check your day to day...and adjust acordingly

this has been my method on many many vehicles and it works well as a starting point...you still have to tweak it for your car...but its a start
    Scott

First of all, thanks for giving me MORE to think about

I checked my table and it is gradiated between .8 and .09 !!!!!!

I don't think I am ready to mess with this But when I am ..... you are saying that you monitor the VE after making adjustments?? Mine is biased way towards the IAT currently.....correct??

Anyways....I did my last VE log on the way home. Going to enable the MAF and start loging it tomarrow.

....nothing stopping me from returning to the VE at a later date, right

DH
    Last edited by Dirty Howie; 03-20-2007 at 12:18 AM.

This looks pretty darn good to me Howie. If I filter out cells with hits less than 3 hits you're within +/- 4%. I say call it good and start tuning the MAF. Then optimize timing, then re-VE and re-MAF, then make a mod, start all over again.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    This looks pretty darn good to me Howie. If I filter out cells with hits less than 3 hits you're within +/- 4%. I say call it good and start tuning the MAF. Then optimize timing, then re-VE and re-MAF, then make a mod, start all over again.
    Thanks Bill ..... hope your right

Anyways I will post a log of maf I did today. It wasn't very good as it started to rain and got slipery. Plus I don't know if REAL humid/rain air affects the maf???

DH

Not A Tuner
    Is it normal for there to be no MAF readings below 3000HZ ?????

Here is a log from today....not sure if I should use it. Wanted to do some easy logs up to 7000-7500. Then do WOT.......

DH

With a 402? Yes...
    Air hog... LOL
    You're the one Al Gore was warning us about...
    Always Support Our Troops!

Howie,

Have you set up your MAF AFR Error histogram?

Your upper Hz look good but your lower Hz need some tweaking. Not bad for a first SWAG. I think you'll find MAF tuning to be much easier then VE tuning.
    Bill Winters

Remember, he has an 04. No Hi MAF & Lo MAF just 1 MAF table. LOL

Advanced Tuner
    With a 402? Yes...
    Air hog... LOL
    You hear that Howie? If it wasn't for you, Al Gore wouldn't have anything to bitch about!!

Guy's I just want to thank you for all your questions and postings in here. I'm just starting the process of tuning my VE's and this thread has help tremendously I'm getting close so I'll be keeping my eye on the MAF tuning as I'm heading in that direction soon.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Not A Tuner
    With a 402? Yes...
    Air hog... LOL
    Al Gore needs a MAF on his mouth and WB on his ass.........

DH

Not A Tuner
    Here are a couple more logs

Check out MAF3 which I took this morning. I had audible ping and KR. I did a calibration using that log. Then did MAF4 log on the way home. No ping or KR and the ambient temps were indentical.

I want to do 2nd gear WOT to redline as recommended by Russ. But trying to find a place to do this on the way to work is proving difficult. I may just pull off on side of freeway and wait for a break in traffic.....

DH

Looking good!
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
    But trying to find a place to do this on the way to work is proving difficult. I may just pull off on side of freeway and wait for a break in traffic..... DH
    That's what I do. I wait on the side of the entrance ramp until I see a break in traffic, then slowly get into third. I ease along in third at about 1200 rpm until the break goes by, then I MASH it, just before the car that is closing the gap gets to me. All this when traffic is very light of course.

Not A Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000C-5
    That's what I do. I wait on the side of the entrance ramp until I see a break in traffic, then slowly get into third. I ease along in third at about 1200 rpm until the break goes by, then I MASH it, just before the car that is closing the gap gets to me. All this when traffic is very light of course.
    I actually have a very safe place 10 minutes from my house. But it is completely out of my way going to work. I have done some 0-125 mph logs there. Only a couple more days till the weekend........so I will just wait. It is insane even for me to do freeway onramps during rush hour traffic

Here is another short log on the way to work. My % error seems to be pretty small up high. Curious to see difference when I do WOT in 2nd gear this weekend.

DH

Not A Tuner
    Question:

If my WB is reading lean. This equates to a (+) % AFR error.

But when I copy this error and multipy by % or % -1/2 in the MAF table it lowers the values there.

Shouldn't it raise the value ????? A larger air flow would command more fuel wouldn't it ???? Thus correcting the observed lean condition !!!!!

Anyone want to straighten me out on this

DH

If your AFR Error% is (+) (running lean) that means you need to "add airflow" to the MAF cal so that it calculates the correct amount of airflow and thus fueling. Remember the MAF is on the Airflow tab.

If the "measured" aiflow is too low, you get a lean condition, if the "measured" airflow is too high, you get a rich condition.

If your AFR Error% is (+) (running lean) that means you need to "add airflow" to the MAF cal so that it calculates the correct amount of airflow and thus fueling. Remember the MAF is on the Airflow tab.

If the "measured" aiflow is too low, you get a lean condition, if the "measured" airflow is too high, you get a rich condition.
    ...but, wouldn't "adding airflow" make the values in the table larger (more grams/sec)? I hope this is correct because my numbers are about 45-50 grams/sec higher than they were stock.

Howie was "adding airflow" and it lowered his values.
    Last edited by 2000C-5; 03-23-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000C-5
    ...but, wouldn't "adding airflow" make the values in the table larger (more grams/sec)? I hope this is correct because my numbers are about 45-50 grams/sec higher than they were stock.

Howie was "adding airflow" and it lowered his values.
    The MAF sensor outputs a Hz signal. The MAF airflow table then converts this to a g/sec value. So if the MAF is giving 7500Hz, that would translate in the airflow table to say 50 g/sec. But if your actually getting 60 g/sec, your would be lean because the PCM is only supplying fuel for 50 grams of air. So by increasing the MAF table your telling the PCM that more air is coming in, give the engine more fuel.

Tim
    GM World Class Technician
    ASE Master Auto Technician
    L1 Certification
    2001 Silverado 6.0L Swap