Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wideband options

Advanced Tuner

Wideband options

What do you guys like for widebands these days? I'm looking at the Innovate LC-2 or the AEM 30-0310 as options.

I recommend 14point7 Spartan 3 which I'm using, it has build in CAN-BUS profile in HPT so you don't have to deal with inaccurate readings due to ground offset like you can get with analog ones.

One minor thing is that its not waterproof, so don't sink your ski

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by racemonkey View Post
    I recommend 14point7 Spartan 3 which I'm using, it has build in CAN-BUS profile in HPT so you don't have to deal with inaccurate readings due to ground offset like you can get with analog ones.

One minor thing is that its not waterproof, so don't sink your ski
    I looked at that one, but the website says "Due to illness, retail sales have been suspended until further notice." So I'm not sure if/when I'd be able to get one.

Edit:
    I guess they are still making wholesale sales so I'd just have to find it from a 3rd party retailer.
    Last edited by truckmann; 09-05-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Oh wow didn't know.

Yeah its a top notch wideband. You can even set it to start heating the sensor after the engine heats it up to 350C, this would prevent any thermal shock from moisture which is what usually kills O2 on jetskis.

Advanced Tuner
    I think I found a good deal on a Spartan 3 with the LSU ADV Sensor so I went ahead and ordered it.
    Last edited by truckmann; 09-05-2023 at 04:10 PM.

Tuner
    I'm using a PLX SM-AFR

Advanced Tuner
    My Spartan 3 came in today. Now to figure out how to wire it up.

Tuner in Training
    ballenger motorsports is said to be a good one

https://ruthlessracingstore.com/prod...ed-aug17_10-27

fueltech nano wideband and prolink plug and play

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTHLESS View Post
    https://ruthlessracingstore.com/prod...ed-aug17_10-27

fueltech nano wideband and prolink plug and play
    Too expensive for an old 4.2 sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by truckmann View Post
    Too expensive for an old 4.2 sensor.
    you get yours at wish.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTHLESS View Post
    you get yours at wish.com
    No I buy quality stuff with the latest sensor that last longer and doesn't require constant calibration. OEM's haven't even used the old 4.2 sensor for several years now.

no i buy quality stuff with the latest sensor that last longer and doesn't require constant calibration. Oem's haven't even used the old 4.2 sensor for several years now.
    the fuel tech nano needs zero calibration and is the most advanced wideband in the market the 4.2 sensor works flawless with waterjacket manifold and wont go bad because it get moist like the others but you think you know more then me i been doing this for 8 years and all my customers do 1-2 miles more then anyone in this industry like i said go on wish.com and you could find what you looking for they have free tuning clases there 2

The key to keeping O2 sensor alive as long as possible is not to start the ski, especially one that's been setting for a while, with the sensor fully heated up. Say your ski was sitting for a week, you go and wake up the cluster but don't star the ski right away, the accessory power turns on and wideband starts heating the sensor. Then, a minute later, you start the ski after the sensor had time to heat up and any moisture that collected in the exhaust manifold gets pushed out onto the, now super hot, ceramic element of the O2 sensor. Not good, thermal shock, the delicate ceramic element gets damaged.

That's why I really like widebands that can start heating after the O2 is naturally heated up by exhaust gasses first. This removes the possibility of thermal shock during startup.

I used Innovate controller in the past, I couldn't keep the 02 alive for long with that wideband. Not sure how the fueltech one is, maybe its good. The build in gauge is an interesting concept, does it support 5V output as well?
    Last edited by racemonkey; 09-09-2023 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by racemonkey View Post
    the key to keeping o2 sensor alive as long as possible is not to start the ski, especially one that's been setting for a while, with the sensor fully heated up. Say your ski was sitting for a week, you go and wake up the cluster but don't star the ski right away, the accessory power turns on and wideband starts heating the sensor. Then, a minute later, you start the ski after the sensor had time to heat up and any moisture that collected in the exhaust manifold gets pushed out onto the, now super hot, ceramic element of the o2 sensor. Not good, thermal shock, the delicate ceramic element gets damaged.

That's why i really like widebands that can start heating after the o2 is naturally heated up by exhaust gasses first. This removes the possibility of thermal shock during startup.

I used innovate controller in the past, i couldn't keep the 02 alive for long with that wideband. Not sure how the fueltech one is, maybe its good. The build in gauge is an interesting concept, does it support 5v output as well?
    fueltech nano does not need all those steps reason why i say is the best with fueltech do what ever start it how ever and no issues.
    I dint know innovate could be display on dash lik,e a dashpac lol

No I buy quality stuff with the latest sensor that last longer and doesn't require constant calibration. OEM's haven't even used the old 4.2 sensor for several years now.
    The Fuel Tech nano and the nano pro are the best most advanced wide band units on the market today, 4.2 sensor works flawlessly! might want to check them out..

Tuner in Training
    ive done shit loads of testing over the 20 years I've dynotuned

LSU 4.2 Factored off ambient Air ratio (same way your map sensor reads baro with key on for reference)
    LSU 4.9 factored off voltage current (same way your injectors pulse width is controlled)
    LSU ADV combines those 2

to help with watercraft. Delay the AFR sensor heat/on time until your coolant temp exceeds a certain resistance (aka PULL UP RESISTOR RELAY). run that to a relay and trigger the AFR sensor to power up only when the temp has been exceeded.

BAM. you can make your own wide band controller EASILY. all this does is sample the output voltage (we call lambda)

super easy stuff

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VFORCEJOHN View Post

LSU 4.2 Factored off ambient Air ratio (same way your map sensor reads baro with key on for reference)
    LSU 4.9 factored off voltage current (same way your injectors pulse width is controlled)
    LSU ADV combines those 2

to help with watercraft. Delay the AFR sensor heat/on time until your coolant temp exceeds a certain resistance (aka PULL UP RESISTOR RELAY). run that to a relay and trigger the AFR sensor to power up only when the temp has been exceeded.

BAM. you can make your own wide band controller EASILY. all this does is sample the output voltage (we call lambda)

super easy stuff
    Thank you for this informed information instead of just marketing hype with nothing to back it up.
    I thought this was a good read about the changes from the 4.2 to the 4.9. https://ecotrons.com/accurate_lambda...su_42_sensors/

I did enough research to be informed about my purchase instead of blindly believing someone trying to sell stuff. Fuel Tech might be fine stuff, but the regular Nano is old tech that is too expensive for what it is. Also I found pretty much zero recommendations or even mention of Fuel Tech on any tuning websites or forums. There is nothing to backup saying it's the most advanced anything on the market, even Fuel Tech doesn't make that claim. Most say the Ballenger AFR500v2 with an NTK sensor is about the best you can get for the price. The Spartan 3 with an LSU 4.9 or ADV isn't far behind it and much cheaper. I found many good recommendations for it. While the 4.2 sensor is still plenty functional for tuning it doesn't make any sense to spend more money for a controller that uses a 4.2 sensor than what I paid for one with an LSU ADV and has delayed preheating options. But I guess people have to stand up for what they are selling which makes sense until they start acting like a child and trying to belittle people who do their own research and come to a different conclusion.

Thank you for this informed information instead of just marketing hype with nothing to back it up.
    I thought this was a good read about the changes from the 4.2 to the 4.9. https://ecotrons.com/accurate_lambda...su_42_sensors/

I did enough research to be informed about my purchase instead of blindly believing someone trying to sell stuff. Fuel Tech might be fine stuff, but the regular Nano is old tech that is too expensive for what it is. Also I found pretty much zero recommendations or even mention of Fuel Tech on any tuning websites or forums. There is nothing to backup saying it's the most advanced anything on the market, even Fuel Tech doesn't make that claim. Most say the Ballenger AFR500v2 with an NTK sensor is about the best you can get for the price. The Spartan 3 with an LSU 4.9 or ADV isn't far behind it and much cheaper. I found many good recommendations for it. While the 4.2 sensor is still plenty functional for tuning it doesn't make any sense to spend more money for a controller that uses a 4.2 sensor than what I paid for one with an LSU ADV and has delayed preheating options. But I guess people have to stand up for what they are selling which makes sense until they start acting like a child and trying to belittle people who do their own research and come to a different conclusion.
    bla bla bla bla . BUDDY I do this everyday i know it works because i tried everything else and fail not because i read it on internet or seen someone say it works on youtube i could make more money selling the other brands. i sale what works so i dont waste time when im tuning there jetski .. if you like the cheap way go a head have fun buying sensors every time you go tuning lol at the end of the day the numbers dont lie my recipe works

Quote Originally Posted by VFORCEJOHN View Post

LSU ADV combines those 2

super easy stuff
    20 years of experience with cars or trucks with jetskis you going to have a hard time if everything you learn comes from forums lol people here seen to know alot but still cant tuned a seadoo to go 80mph lmfao