Thread: 2012 Ram 1500 issue with TC with cruise engaged

Potential Tuner

2012 Ram 1500 issue with TC with cruise engaged

Hey guys, kinda dipping my toe into the tuning water here and need some help. Been a diesel tech for quite some time now but never really messed around with tuning vehicles. A little back story on my project

2012 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI
    Installed new stage one Comp cam and MDS deleted engine
    Locked cam phaser into place

Engine and transmission worked as it should as a factory vehicle. After getting my engine tuned to run properly, I noticed that the transmission would shutter when in 6th gear, cruise engaged, and driving up a hill. I have not adjusted anything on the transmission side of the tune. It feels like the TC is unlocking and unlocking rapidly until I kick the cruise off. Once the cruise is disengaged, it seems to operate "normally" To me it seems like the transmission needs to downshift sooner but ive never really messed around with transmissions and tuning them. Only other thing that Im not sure of is if the transmission downshifts too much, (with the bigger cam, i thought it would be able to pull the hills better without downshifting. I have logged a short file with operating with the cruise engaged. If someone could tell me if I have a transmission tune issue, engine tune issue or what i might have going on, i would greatly appreciate it. I do not want to adjust the tune and end up burning the transmission/engine up just because of non experience.

Attached is the tune that is currently loaded into my pickup, the stock tune, and the log file.
    In the log, it starts to shutter at 18-10-24 and cruise shut off at 18-10-27

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks alot!

log file Post tune.hpl
    2012 Ram adjusted tune 2.hpt

Hey,

you loose low end power with the cam.
    And for a truck this is not the best, till you use the high rpm range.
    The 65rfe is crap, dont know who get the idea to put it into this truck.
    Get your shift points to a better level and try to figure out what slip the tcc needs or not to work best.

Maybe someone has done this yet and send his file.

And be sure your cam angle settings are correct to make enough power….

Advanced Tuner
    Your log does not include any of the transmission parameters so it is pretty useles to assess any kind of transmission issues. Now that being said the load is not calculated properly since your fuel trims are almost at negative 30, so I doubt the transmission line pressure is commanded properly.

Potential Tuner
    I didnt notice that i didnt have any transmission parameters on the list until after I submitted the post. Still trying to get all this fancy stuff figured out. That being said, what parameters would you be looking for when i make a new log file?

Advanced Tuner
    Ideally all transmission related PIDs but for sure engine RPM, ISS RPM, OSS RPM, current gear, EMCC Status, line pressure desired and actual line pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by TransGo Robert View Post
    Ideally all transmission related PIDs but for sure engine RPM, ISS RPM, OSS RPM, current gear, EMCC Status, line pressure desired and actual line pressure.
    What Transgo said, Plus, Throttle Voltage, accelerator Voltage, Forget the % stuff till your ready to play with Power request tables.
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumminswrench View Post
    Hey guys, kinda dipping my toe into the tuning water here and need some help. Been a diesel tech for quite some time now but never really messed around with tuning vehicles. A little back story on my project

2012 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI
    Installed new stage one Comp cam and MDS deleted engine
    Locked cam phaser into place

Engine and transmission worked as it should as a factory vehicle. After getting my engine tuned to run properly, I noticed that the transmission would shutter when in 6th gear, cruise engaged, and driving up a hill. I have not adjusted anything on the transmission side of the tune. It feels like the TC is unlocking and unlocking rapidly until I kick the cruise off. Once the cruise is disengaged, it seems to operate "normally" To me it seems like the transmission needs to downshift sooner but ive never really messed around with transmissions and tuning them. Only other thing that Im not sure of is if the transmission downshifts too much, (with the bigger cam, i thought it would be able to pull the hills better without downshifting. I have logged a short file with operating with the cruise engaged. If someone could tell me if I have a transmission tune issue, engine tune issue or what i might have going on, i would greatly appreciate it. I do not want to adjust the tune and end up burning the transmission/engine up just because of non experience.

Attached is the tune that is currently loaded into my pickup, the stock tune, and the log file.
    In the log, it starts to shutter at 18-10-24 and cruise shut off at 18-10-27

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks alot!

log file Post tune.hpl
    2012 Ram adjusted tune 2.hpt
    Definitely it is missing some tranny signals.

However, based on your description, your tune and RPM in your log, I would suggest changing TCC unlock/lock tables. Also, to make it more harmonic, I would suggest changing Shift Scheduling and Torque Management.