Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 0-100 pass and est 1/4 mile for my E550

Advanced Tuner
    Well, Wheel Torque vs VSS was a fail. A lower setting didn't limit power, which I expected, but it did fault out my turbos in <1 second. A different kinda fault than I've had in the past, but still screwed.
    I guess I'll try lowering power <4k and see what happens.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Try lowering the 1st gear tq limit under tq management...

Advanced Tuner
    I managed to do my first 1/4 mile ever, and Dragy failed again. I could hear it announce 1/8th & 1/4 mile, but no data at all, nothing, like it never happened.
    Hopefully I won't need to wait years for another opportunity.

Per HP, starting with the front wheel .05 mph: 12.0sec = 120.8. 13sec 126.6
    0-60 was 4.4.

I'll try the 1st gear limiter when I have time. Been having mystery boost and fuel trim issues I need to sort out first.

Advanced Tuner
    Limiting 1st gear to 400 did nothing. It shot past 600 and didnt even try to limit it.

Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    Limiting 1st gear to 400 did nothing. It shot past 600 and didnt even try to limit it.
    Even the car's own computer can't stop the raw German power.

Advanced Tuner
    I figured it would do that, or screw up boost and make things worse. Next is adjusting the max throttle position, which does work. I've only raised it so far, which is a mistake, too much power. So we'll see what reducing does. Adj VVT works too, but both those limit in all gears

Advanced Tuner
    The "Max Throttle Position" was a fail, it cut too much power and for too long. Even having only 1500 & 2Krpm lowered by .05, it killed power until >4500. So back to oem and controlling torque a variety of different ways, all a hard fail. Failing in unexpected ways I might add, like the max throttle position, but still fails. I wonder if this an HP issue, with things being wrong in there, or maybe it screws it up during load, I dunno. Like why would a slight change to Ex cam timing in one spot between 1700 and 3k cause it to dump an excessive amt of fuel, far more than I have it set at, and do so all the way to redline? Or lowering Max Torque Driver Input from idle to 3k, but it kills power across the board? Something is up because I've see this happen far too many times.

The only way I had any success is manual gas pedal control, which is basically impossible as-is, so I softened the gas pedal cmd down quite a bit to make it easier to control. I did a bunch of 0-60 runs and my tires paid the price, visibly lost a lot of rubber, and Dragy only caught five runs, only two which were worth noting:
    Dragy 3.88. Wth, because this was a normal run. HP says 4.34 and it felt like 4.34.
    Dragy 3.97, HP 4.00. That run, from my perspective, and per HP, was clearly the best the car ever did, hands down. Luckily Dragy worked, but it only makes it more confusing.
    Last week: Dragy 3.99, HP 4.29. That also felt like 4.29 but was the only other run that dipped <4 per Dragy. I included it to show, like the 3.88 run, Dragy is simply wrong.
    Of course HP could be wrong too, but the Butt dyno and HP consistently jive, Dragy does not.

I still need to improve, but I'm less worried about the false Dragy # and I no longer wonder how people get into the 3sec range. I suppose maybe I could break that 3.88 even if I'm not actually quicker. I could also cheat even further and claim the 1ft # of 3.64. Is that something that people do when they brag #'s? I assumed nobody uses that but I just don't know.

I also tried starting off in 2nd gear, thinking it would be easier to control wheel spin and I'd eliminate one of the two shifts 0-60. I figured it would result in failure, but worth a try to see what happens. Well, it failed in a way I never expected; it simply shifts to 1st anyway! So despite most all of the runs that day being in M2, including that best run, it downshifted to 1st every time.
    I never had much luck with manual mode anyway. People say to use it to make sure it doesn't shift prematurely, they say it'll hold gear longer and "panic shift" at redline. Not mine. It will hold all day at light loads, but apparently not after a certain load. It also still upshifts prematurely, 2-3 @ 5400 for example, which I noticed on one run, and is common out of manual mode. One run it shifted from 1st to 2nd ~2800-3k because I was giving so little gas in an attempt to keep wheel spin under control. So I guess torque was low enough that it went back to M2, or it was ignoring M mode altogether and shifted normally. Guess I'll never know.

Is this Manual issue just my car, or do others do the same? I'm guessing it's just mine. When I did 0-60 in 2nd in the past, before HP, it would stay in 2nd, but it had about half the power back then. I mean that literally, like <300hp. So maybe it wasn't enough power to trigger a downshift? Or maybe something has changed. I do recall that any time it was in Manual, and I hit the downshift button, it would downshift. So in all these 2nd gear tests I never clicked that button below 40mph. Usually I never clicked it at all, out of habit, because it usually does things I don't like. Meaning downshifting when it's too close to the shift point so it shifts down then up right away. Then when I let off it hangs onto the gear and I have to click upshift over n over to get it to pop out. It's funny, all this tech, sensors, programming etc and it still can't shift as well as an old 60's tranny with zero wires. Same with throttle by wire, what a joke.