Thread: 6.2l tuning help

Tuner in Training

6.2l tuning help

I have recently purchased the coyote cook book to start the tuning process of my restomod 6.2L build. So far I have been taking it slow and have had some other tunes to reference along they way. But there are definitely lots of questions I still have in regards to tuning a 6.2.

-Timing? I have gone through the tune repository and forums. I have every tune I have seen no one has added timing to the motor. Why is this? In the coyote cookbook they add 30%-40% more timing respectively across all mapped points. I have been slowly adding timing to my 6.2. I'm probably up 25% and am not seeing any major knock or spark retard. And it seems to feel really good.

-Valve timing/ cam tuning? how does one tune a SOHC engine? What do these changes actually do?

-Can the torque tables be tuned without a dyno?

-Are there any more learning resources that I should be getting?

Advanced Tuner
    30-40% increase in timing may be ok at WOT.

The 6.2 will be very different for the cam tuning. The best option for that is dyno tuning, but since most people don't own a dyno, like myself, there are different ways you can tell but some of them will be insignificant or hard to notice in a datalog since there are so many variables that effect the datalog. Your better of researching the distance tables here on the forum. The book is set up around Ti-VCT, two cams being adjusted independently where I can run the intake advanced 30* while the exhaust is retarded 20*. Your cam tab will look exactly like a coyote's and include all of the same tables as a coyote but the set up in them are different.
    Intake and exhaust angles are retarded to the same degree as the MP change. On a coyote, MP 0 is the same as the 6.2. MP 1 on a coyote has IVO 20*, EVC 0. I'm not 100% if it's 12*, but you'll get the idea, the 6.2 retard in increments of 12*. MP 0 - IVO/EVC 0*, MP 1 - IVO/EVC 12*, MP 2 - IVO/EVC 24* and so on up to MP 5. MP 6 and up are your WOT MP, this is where the the IMRCs are open. You'll run these MP when in OP, WOT, IMRC open. Same name for different things. Just look up the distance tales. You might get better results doing a google search and adding "site:hptuners" to the end of your search.

You can tune the torque tables without a dyno but you shouldn't need to adjust these tables unless you go FI.

The best resource available is right here on the forum for no charge. You can learn everything you need to tune on these forums.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    30-40% increase in timing may be ok at WOT.

The 6.2 will be very different for the cam tuning. The best option for that is dyno tuning, but since most people don't own a dyno, like myself, there are different ways you can tell but some of them will be insignificant or hard to notice in a datalog since there are so many variables that effect the datalog. Your better of researching the distance tables here on the forum. The book is set up around Ti-VCT, two cams being adjusted independently where I can run the intake advanced 30* while the exhaust is retarded 20*. Your cam tab will look exactly like a coyote's and include all of the same tables as a coyote but the set up in them are different.
    Intake and exhaust angles are retarded to the same degree as the MP change. On a coyote, MP 0 is the same as the 6.2. MP 1 on a coyote has IVO 20*, EVC 0. I'm not 100% if it's 12*, but you'll get the idea, the 6.2 retard in increments of 12*. MP 0 - IVO/EVC 0*, MP 1 - IVO/EVC 12*, MP 2 - IVO/EVC 24* and so on up to MP 5. MP 6 and up are your WOT MP, this is where the the IMRCs are open. You'll run these MP when in OP, WOT, IMRC open. Same name for different things. Just look up the distance tales. You might get better results doing a google search and adding "site:hptuners" to the end of your search.

You can tune the torque tables without a dyno but you shouldn't need to adjust these tables unless you go FI.

The best resource available is right here on the forum for no charge. You can learn everything you need to tune on these forums.
    Thank you for the thorough response.
    Any more information on the mapped points for the 6.2 would be great. Currently all that is active are 0-5 and there is no way for me to log which ones are active. So a little insight on what driving conditions activate each table would be awesome. Also can I turn on the OP tables? I know I can in HP tuners, but will it actually start using them?

Senior Tuner
    You can log every Mapped Point in addition to Distance from OP.

Yes you can turn on OP. If you took the time to look through the tune I posted for you a while back you'd see it active. Also, the best drivability and best fuel economy thresholds have been changed there. That should be a clue as to how MP's are selected.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    You can log every Mapped Point in addition to Distance from OP.

Yes you can turn on OP. If you took the time to look through the tune I posted for you a while back you'd see it active. Also, the best drivability and best fuel economy thresholds have been changed there. That should be a clue as to how MP's are selected.
    I will look closer at your tune. Would you be able to shed some lights about logging which mapped points are being used? I have currently checked all the channels that are available in VCM scanner and they definitely aren't there. I've even tried repolling with no luck.

Senior Tuner
    Try this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Try this.
    I uploaded that config. It shows all the channels that you mentioned. But most of them are greyed out and when I start a log they disappear.

Senior Tuner
    Yeah I don't know then. Worked on a 2011 Raptor.

Advanced Tuner
    Repoll your channels.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Repoll your channels.
    Tried that. I am currently waiting for support from HP tuners. It is possible that something is missing in the OS of the PCM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune and what you're trying to accomplish. You can get an idea of what MP you're in by the distance tables, then Rpm and air load from your datalogs.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my current tune (2 F250 6.2 MAF UPDATED) and my previous tune. Last night I had an awesome drive funning tune (1 F250 6.2) and was able to log (FORD 6.2 EVENING DRIVE AND WOT PULLS) aside from my MAF curve being off the truck felt very strong and drove very well. This morning I updated the MAF and drove into work and all I had was issues. I believe my torque tables are all sorts of wrong because my IPC wheel torque error is outrageous and my VCT goes into failure mode around the 54 second mark (FORD 6.2 MAF UPDATED AND TORQUE ERRORS) . My torque tables were got from another members tune that has similar mods to me except they also did cams and ported heads, (long tube headers, intake, 91 octane fuel).

I have playing with my spark tables ALOT and have some pretty aggressive tables in there now. My current thought is to put torque and spark back to stock and increment my spark tables slowly and watch for IPC error. Any guidance would be appreciated. I am very new to the tuning world and have lots of learning to do still.

Advanced Tuner
    Your spark tables are way too advanced. What is this swapped into? Curiosity.

Do you have your stock file?

Tuner in Training
    I was just in the process of reviewing those and am planning on pulling them back alot. I will post a more modest tune as well.

Tuner in Training
    Here are some data logs of a less aggressive timing adjustment. The truck feels pretty good. For some reason when I enable the OP table my truck will not recover an idle at all. If I am driving at 2500 RPM and push my clutch in, the truck will not be able to catch idle. What needs to be done to properly enable the OP tables on these motors?

Senior Tuner
    Interesting. If OP is giving you problems then disabling it is no big deal. Look at OP cam angles compared to Mapped Points cam angles. Now look at the distance table for Best Drivability. Best Drivability is commanding the same angles as OP at high loads 0.8 and up.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 09-20-2023 at 08:30 AM.