Thread: Forcing open loop question newbie style

Tuner in Training

Forcing open loop question newbie style

I want to attempt to dial in my MAF table. I have been trying to read in forums and watch some videos on the 'tube site but I get glossed over after a few minutes and my brain starts to wander instead of absorbing what I'm hearing/reading.

I have an AEM 30-0334 wide band that I purchased a few years ago. I think I can manage to get that working in HP Tuners. I had it working as a serial input on an older Jeep with a GM Gen III conversion when I had EFI Live. My V2 let all the smoke out one day when I attempted to read a new to me ECM and it was going to cost me 1200 to get a replacement and have my licenses transferred. I decided I'd just learn HP Tuners and start over.

I'm wondering if I can be so lazy as to just disable closed loop in VCM Scanner and unplug my narrow band O2 sensors. And while I understand it isn't ideal I'm wondering if I could remove a narrow band sensor from one side and install my wide band in that bung. I realize I would have to move it to the other side eventually to verify I am running the same AFR on each side. But from what I have gleaned so far I want to run in open loop and set up a maths monitor to dial in the MAF table.

Anyone have any guidance they care to share?
    Last edited by Jee_per; 09-09-2023 at 06:07 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Id assume that would all work. Id still use STFTs till WOT. Id also disable closed loop in the toon if you are deadset on OL tuning.

Tuning Addict
    Putting into Open Loop and by that I mean a Full Open Loop doesn't always work on gen V's. Even then who's to say the ecm isn't going into a partial default which happens a lot on the gen V's to keep it from being any sort of accurate.

If the ecm will allow it you can change the O2 failure mv to a - value and max the closed loop enable timer. A lot of gen V's will still use stft's in open loop, so it may not go into a full open loop.

As mentioned above you're really better off to tune in closed loop since that's what it's going to be running on and use open loop corrections only for open loop operations. This will further allow you to adjust the O2 settings to best utilize them for headers or anything like that as well. Just my .02
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies.

Is there a tutorial for the Gen V somewhere?

I think part of my problem is I don't know enough about tuning to know what questions to ask.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    2016 L83/8L90 Gen V engine/transmission
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

Tuner in Training
    Just a quick update. I probably should start a new thread after this. I did end up adding a new bung after the "Y" pipe and installing my wide band sensor in there. My observation is it runs rich at startup until it starts to warm up. Then it settles in bouncing between 14.7-15 AFR. I plan to use Lambda to tune with but I don't have it displaying in HP Tuners yet. I need to figure that out now. Anyway I don't think I'm "deadset" on tuning in open loop. I'm just trying to get this tune dialed in a bit closer so I quit activating a MIL for rich bank 1 and 2. Eventually I'd like to optimize fuel economy/power.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    2016 L83/8L90 Gen V engine/transmission
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

i trust factory O2's to dial in fueling for anything but WOT. i use after market widebands for WOT stuff and verify with factory MV readings if possible
    Specializing in calibrating GM vehicles. HPtuners and HolleyEFI

Remote tuning services email [email protected]
    instagram: tunedbymmt

Advanced Tuner
    If you must be in open loop for say,, a full race car for whatever reason, just unplug the primary o2 sensors and that's it. It will then stay in open loop full time
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A