Thread: Running rich bank 1 and 2. Wide band installed ready to learn how to tune hopefully

Tuner in Training

Running rich bank 1 and 2. Wide band installed ready to learn how to tune hopefully

Just to be sure I'm giving enough info, I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler that I swapped a 2016 L83/8L90 transmission into. I have been driving it for a while now and eventually I throw a code for running rich bank one and bank 2. (P0172, P0175)

Today I finally got around to installing my AEM wide band sensor. It's a 03-0334.

I haven't tried too hard yet to get it working in HP tuners but I did attempt it, without doing any searching first. I was unsuccessful on my first attempt. I will now search for getting that working so I can log with it.

I went for a test drive anyway, to see what the gauge tells me.

I currently have set it to AFR because I'm running regular gas but I plan to change it to Lambda because my engine does have a working flex fuel sensor and I do want the ability to run on E85 for fun. I'll learn to use Lambda so I don't have to do any conversion math...

Anyway, on my first start with the sensor installed it was running pretty rich like 16-17 AFR for a few seconds until it started to warm up. It did settle in to around 15 as it transitioned into closed loop.

On the test drive it hovers between 14 and 15 like I would expect it to. Mostly heavy on the 15+ a bit. When I pegged it, it fell to around 12ish. So far I believe that's probably good. But when I let off the gas and try coasting the gauge pegs out max rich every time, light throttle to coast, or hard throttle to coast it pegs out rich every time.

I have watched several goat rope garage videos and a HP Academy video but they both say to set the MAF using open loop. In my other thread I started about forcing open loop I got the idea I shouldn't be using open loop on a Gen V.

So my question is where do I start?
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    2016 L83/8L90 Gen V engine/transmission
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

See https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-starting-over for a real quick summary I wrote up recently; should help get you started.

Definitely use lambda to take out any thinking. Instead of looking for 14.7 you're looking for 1.00. When you enter power enrichment (more fuel) just take the AFR you want and divide by 14.7 to get the lambda (so if you're after a 12.5 AFR, you'd be looking for 0.85 lambda). If you want to see stoich (1.00), when you see 1.05 you know you're 5% lean; if you see 0.95 you're 5% rich; likewise if you want 0.85 and you see 0.80, you know you're 5% rich. It's way simple.

A higher AFR/lambda is lean, not rich. When you're coasting DFCO (deceleration fuel cut-off) starts which cuts fuels and thus you'll see very lean (high) numbers. I use the 30-0334 as well and it maxes out at 2.000 lambda, or I guess 29.4 AFR.

As for Goat Rope, I watched a bunch of his videos awhile back and I believe he always failed the MAF to tune speed density and vice versa (haven't seen any of his vids in awhile), but you can tune both at the same time with no issues, so I'd save yourself the headaches and just tune both at once. Can tune both at the same time in either open loop or closed loop.
    Last edited by KillboyPowerhead; 09-10-2023 at 03:01 PM.

widebands are calibrated to read lambda and displays AFR so its not a big deal. you got it backward tho. 16AFR is lean not rich
    Specializing in calibrating GM vehicles. HPtuners and HolleyEFI

Remote tuning services email [email protected]
    instagram: tunedbymmt

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the correction. Yes I got it backwards. as far as maxing out. I believe it's fine to cut fuel and be that lean while the engine isn't under any load.
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

Tuner in Training
    So I'm wondering how to correct the lean condition at cruise.

Instead of editing my post above I thought I'd correct it here.

I have made some changes to the MAF table that didn't seem to make any difference either way. I may be completely confused, but I would think if the engine is running lean it could be because it thinks it is getting less air than it actually is getting. With that in mind I tried multiplying the MAF calibration "Airflow vs Frequency" by .97. My thinking was there is a correlation in airflow vs frequency. It didn't help at all. I then tried multiplying by 1.1. Neither setting made any noticeable difference.

I have since set the parameters back to the factory settings. My next thought was that maybe since the intake tube is pretty close to stock diameter I could be getting close to stock airflow past the sensor. It does seem to at least operate partially in the green (rich) area of the gauge but still tends towards the lean side pretty quickly. Mostly above 1.0 Lambda. I see 1.1 fairly often.

I'm pretty much out of ideas now. Should I be looking at fueling? If so what table?
    Last edited by Jee_per; 09-10-2023 at 06:29 PM.
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

Tuner in Training
    I'm hoping someone has pity on me and points me in the right direction.

I have found the smokeshow thread about how to tune the MAF and VVe at the same time. I have imported the .xml he was kind enough to share. My problem is I don't really have a clue what to do with it. I feel like I've walked into my first day of college but I'm only really ready for Kindergarten.

Where should I start my education here?
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

Tuning Addict
    I haven't read much more than the build and with just that I'm letting you know that is not something to be learning on. Problem is as stated it's a 5.3 running a 6.2 OS in a different weighted vehicle. I know that much just from what you wrote. In fact most swap companies install escalade OS's for this. No 5.3 ever came with the 8sp. You're going to have to calibrate A LOT of tables to get things back square. That's if you want it shifting correctly with the correct pedal to throttle correlation control.

You're going to have to adjust the torque models, trans settings, DD, density, fuel models and everything else if you want it right even with it being a stock to stock engine replacement swap.

The whole reason fuel corrections and fueling in general is off is because of the injector and density settings not being right. Make sure if you just do a 5.3 install into the tune that the tables match. You need to make sure to use certain 6.2 tables that are in the calibration currently, which throws others off and is just partially why you have to calibrate the whole thing. Background tables working off of the assumed 6.2 tables are the other big reason.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I haven't read much more than the build and with just that I'm letting you know that is not something to be learning on. Problem is as stated it's a 5.3 running a 6.2 OS in a different weighted vehicle. I know that much just from what you wrote. In fact most swap companies install escalade OS's for this. No 5.3 ever came with the 8sp. You're going to have to calibrate A LOT of tables to get things back square. That's if you want it shifting correctly with the correct pedal to throttle correlation control.

You're going to have to adjust the torque models, trans settings, DD, density, fuel models and everything else if you want it right even with it being a stock to stock engine replacement swap.

The whole reason fuel corrections and fueling in general is off is because of the injector and density settings not being right. Make sure if you just do a 5.3 install into the tune that the tables match. You need to make sure to use certain 6.2 tables that are in the calibration currently, which throws others off and is just partially why you have to calibrate the whole thing. Background tables working off of the assumed 6.2 tables are the other big reason.
    Actually, in 2016 Chevrolet made the 8 speed available on the LTZ and High Country trims. He should try to just use an OS from one of those...

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Estep40511 View Post
    Actually, in 2016 Chevrolet made the 8 speed available on the LTZ and High Country trims. He should try to just use an OS from one of those...
    You have a stock calibration? I'd like to see that as I've not ever seen a 5.3 with an 8 speed.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Single one in the repository. Couldn't believe it. Stock 5.3, flex and 8sp..... So they offered it for one single year? Wonder why not longer. Would think the 8 speed would have worked pretty good with the 5.3's lack of power, but maybe shifting too much or something was the reason why it didn't stay around? I know I often have to change the torque models to keep them from shifting so much to give people what they want...

Wonder if Mitch knows about it? He could just offer this as the calibration with the kits he sells to make them easier for everyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    You have a stock calibration? I'd like to see that as I've not ever seen a 5.3 with an 8 speed.
    I can get one if needed. A fellow tech here at work has one. They arent super common.

Tuning Addict
    Well I was thinking about it. The ecm would be compatible or at least it should be. The TCM on the other hand... As long as it's compatible you should be able to use TIS and flash both the ecm and tcm to the vin in that cal then tune in the MAF and what nots then be good to go. A whole lot simpler. Otherwise you would need to purchase another tcm for that vin specifically. Hopefully they're all the same and it's not necessary as the 8sp uses an external tcm.

The main tables in the background that wreak so much havoc going from the 6.2 to the 5.3 are the throttle rate, pedal progression and then the torque model multipliers such as those that define line pressure and shifting that the transmission go by. The throttle rate and pedal progression can be fixed via user defined. The rest haven't been found yet to correct.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes I used the VIN from that file and ordered a E92 ECM for my setup. The TCM has been flashed with the TUN info from the transmission. It actually runs fine and shifts great, but it needs to be dialed in to fine tune it. It takes a while for the check engine light to come on. Sometimes several days. Also it will sometimes stall because of low RPM when I shift from reverse to forward.

I have installed a sensor for Flex fuel and it works fine as well.

I also have the wide band setup and working in VCM Scanner.

Here is my tune currently in use.

91023_4th_reset_to_original_MAF.hpt

Also for reference, my JKUR (Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon) tips the scale at 5,500 pounds. No that is not a typo. Five thousand five hundred pounds as weighed a couple weeks ago. It should be comparable in weight to the 1/2 ton truck my engine setup was made for.

It currently has 5.38 gear ratio axles and 37 inch tall tires. I have experimented with multiple gear ratios because I had access to rear axles with them. I have tried 3.73, 4.10 and 5.38. The 5.38 are currently installed because they match the front axle and are what the Jeep came with when I bought it used. The front axle is an aftermarket axle and is quite a bit stronger than stock. I am planning to use 4.10 gears when I can get it lined up to have the front gears swapped by my mechanic. I already purchased the rear axle that has been freshly rebuilt with 4.10 gears. From my research 3.73 ratio with 37 inch tires gets it fairly close to the factory 3.21 with stock tires for the GMC . I opted to go with 4.10 because my tires weigh in at around 105 pounds each. I figured being a tad lower gearing worked fine when I tested it.

I think I just need to find the right tutorial on how/where to add the filters and get this dialed in? But it is proving to be more difficult than I was anticipating.

I'm not opposed to paying someone to tune it for me but I would like to learn myself because I am already considering changing the L83 out for the L86...
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

Tuning Addict
    The factory l83 can be perked up a lot especially if it's stock and still using variable cam timing. Just make sure it's in closed loop and dial in via fuel trims. Shouldn't have to worry about codes once it's dialed in. Keep in mind once you change the fueling for the cai or VE tables that it will change your torque model and this change is why your idle is currently experiencing problems.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    just make sure it's in closed loop and dial in via fuel trims..
    And that is what I'm trying to figure out how to do. I am missing the knowledge that will allow me to do that.

I can connect the V3 and fire up VCM Scanner but don't know how to properly set the software up to get any meaningful information.

Scanning is easy, Scanning properly is beyond my current understanding...
    E92/T87 ECM/TCM

Tuning Addict
    You can start here with setting up the scanner however you need it - https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...tarted-Threads

You can use the attached channels for logging. To install into the scanner - download - right click - show in folder - right click - copy - go to where hpt is saved on your computer (if you don't know open the scanner - open recent channel configs - open recent config (these are above the channels section - this takes you to where it's saved on your computer - you can directly paste here "easiest") OR close and go to where it's saved and paste that way. It should be in the scanner file - channels file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

~Greg Huggins~