Thread: G8 GT Auto to Manual 6 speed Conversion

G8 GT Auto to Manual 6 speed Conversion

Wondering if there is any truth to this......
    I have read a couple of times on the internet of all things about I need to flash my Manual tune to the ECM before disconnecting my existing 6L80E......
    Otherwise the ECM freaks out....possibly bricks???
    Trying to figure out the best time to Flash the tune once I get it, which I am having some trouble with acquiring as well.....(OS issues)
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thx
    John

You can't change the OS like that yourself in your existing ECM unless you have the proper tools (Tech2/MDI & SPS subscription), just buy a used ECM pre-programmed with the VIN from one originally built as a manual. 6G2EP57W99L310255 is a 2009 G8 GXP M6.

Go look up the correct Service Number ECM for that VIN, then hit Ebay and search for that Service Number plus the phrase 'programmed to your VIN'. Done.

Thank you.

In response to the 'will it run' private message...

You'll need to compare wiring diagrams between auto/manual - specifically, there are differences in the CANbus, and in the park/neutral IMS switch vs. manual trans clutch position switch. My ancient version of eSI does not have complete coverage for 2009, you will need your own access to diagrams/etc. for your car.

By the way, how are you going to deal with making the rest of the car work after it has a different VIN in the ECM? SIR/BCM/etc. are not going to be happy until you go in and set them up with the new VIN. You will need a real proper scan tool that can talk to modules other than just the powertrain.

THEN... how are you going to get around the fact that the VIN in the ECM no longer matches the VIN on the car? I'm unsure if VIN-swapping in HPT will work for this, if that was what you were counting on.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    In response to the 'will it run' private message...

You'll need to compare wiring diagrams between auto/manual - specifically, there are differences in the CANbus, and in the park/neutral IMS switch vs. manual trans clutch position switch. My ancient version of eSI does not have complete coverage for 2009, you will need your own access to diagrams/etc. for your car.
    My Helm manual has all the pinouts...and there are some great diagrams that are user generated on the G8 forums.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    By the way, how are you going to deal with making the rest of the car work after it has a different VIN in the ECM? SIR/BCM/etc. are not going to be happy until you go in and set them up with the new VIN. You will need a real proper scan tool that can talk to modules other than just the powertrain.

THEN... how are you going to get around the fact that the VIN in the ECM no longer matches the VIN on the car? I'm unsure if VIN-swapping in HPT will work for this, if that was what you were counting on.
    Looking in to this with a PCM Programmer to get me an E38 ECM with my vin and the appropriate OS for a manual Transmission.