Thread: 180 degree thermostat tune.

180 degree thermostat tune.

So I'm gonna change my thermostat to 180 degrees on my 13 300c with a 5.7 but want to know other than the fan settings what else should/can I change to not get any codes. Also anything to change that could gain some power too. Thanks

Main thing will just be the fan settings for a thermostat change out. You shouldn't be getting any codes from that anyway. Just a thermostat isn't going to net you HP gains. You need to actually tune the motor properly for that.

So once I change the fans settings I shouldn't get a code?

Quote Originally Posted by 239Ram1500 View Post
    So I'm gonna change my thermostat to 180 degrees on my 13 300c with a 5.7 but want to know other than the fan settings what else should/can I change to not get any codes. Also anything to change that could gain some power too. Thanks
    Rescaling some of the ECT rows will to take advantage of the lower ECT range will net you a few HP , nothing sizeable, it's not like a Honda Type R sticker.

Make sure your cooling system can handle it`

Can you show a screenshot of the tables? I can't seem to find it

Ive played around with that.
    The radiator is a bottleneck .
    Under some conditions you will get high temperatures and the fan is running especially in the 392.
    Best option to get stable temperatures is to change the radiator too.
    The 3 row from Mishimoto makes a biiiig difference.
    To get stable temps for oil, use an oil cooler - the oil lasts longer each less degree of temp.

Can you show a screenshot of the tables? I can't seem to find it
    There's some in the Engine Idle area, sometimes when you have something that wanders a lot, if you tailor(no pun intended) the ECT to local temps it helps reign in the idle, results a are smoother idle.

These screen shoots or other a stock 13 Challenger and one that belongs to a customer out of Miami, runs AFR heads big cam .640/650ish 235/[email protected] , local tuner couldn't get VE to less than +/- 5% when the owner reached out to us about, this is what we did to help out.

Black Arrow is where you would click to change value.

this car has a 160T-stat but also has custom Entropy Radiator(they are out of Chicago) $1400 dollar , Owner claims car has never been over 180 f in Downtown Miami , the highest I've seen in the logs he's sent was 170.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Quote Originally Posted by f.creek-ranch View Post
    Ive played around with that.
    The radiator is a bottleneck .
    Under some conditions you will get high temperatures and the fan is running especially in the 392.
    Best option to get stable temperatures is to change the radiator too.
    The 3 row from Mishimoto makes a biiiig difference.
    To get stable temps for oil, use an oil cooler - the oil lasts longer each less degree of temp.
    i saw some 4 row ones that they sell at the same place i got my 2nd gens 3 row all alum radiator. idk about an oil cooler i was under the impression that you need the oil temps to be higher (at least 200F) to burn off water/impurities.

Quote Originally Posted by rays04gtx View Post
    There's some in the Engine Idle area, sometimes when you have something that wanders a lot, if you tailor(no pun intended) the ECT to local temps it helps reign in the idle, results a are smoother idle.

These screen shoots or other a stock 13 Challenger and one that belongs to a customer out of Miami, runs AFR heads big cam .640/650ish 235/[email protected] , local tuner couldn't get VE to less than +/- 5% when the owner reached out to us about, this is what we did to help out.

Black Arrow is where you would click to change value.

this car has a 160T-stat but also has custom Entropy Radiator(they are out of Chicago) $1400 dollar , Owner claims car has never been over 180 f in Downtown Miami , the highest I've seen in the logs he's sent was 170.

ill check this out later when i get home from work

Advanced Tuner
    theres more going on than meets the eye

you see the bypass that the heat exchanger (what your oil filter screws on to) creates, but there is another bypass in the water pump housing

how much hot coolant bypasses the radiator there depends on what t stat you are running

i am going to modify my housing and do some testing... might start selling mod'ed housings and heat exchanger delete kits

hard to believe no one already is...

What I do is I google average Temps for the area , for Chicago 22F is the average low and 82 is the Average HI , we know it gets hotter and colder but we don't need to worry about those #s

So reality is you don't need the -4 in the Idle tables or the -40 in the VE tables, I try and set them according to driving habits, lets say you drive year round, then I would set your lows to 20Degree below average , in your case All the Low ECT values would be 0*f and the High values I set 20* higher than the Current T-stat , so for stock t-stat I set it at 220*f, for 180*f t-stat I set it for 200*f.

160*F T-state is the odd ball , for a driver I still set max at 200*f, track only I set high at 185*f .
    remember the OEM numbers in these HPTuners files are not absolute Min/Max , the ECU will adjust to out of range values based on last value and it's own safety margins.

for someone who only races their car/truck in Chi-town, I would set the Low ECT #s in the 40s and still keep the High according to T-stat ,

now the advantage on the Higher "low values is, you shorten up the scale, but you have the same amount of data Points, which means more control over the function.
    Last edited by rays04gtx; 09-17-2023 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Grammar before Coffee is not an advisable habbit

Senior Tuner
    Should have to disable P0128.

Quote Originally Posted by rays04gtx View Post
    What I do is I google average Temps for the area , for Chicago 22F is the average low and 82 is the Average HI , we know it gets hotter and colder but we don't need to worry about those #s

So reality is you don't need the -4 in the Idle tables or the -40 in the VE tables, I try and set them according to driving habits, lets say you drive year round, then I would set your lows to 20Degree below average , in your case All the Low ECT values would be 0*f and the High values I set 20* higher than the Current T-stat , so for stock t-stat I set it at 220*f, for 180*f t-stat I set it for 200*f.

160*F T-state is the odd ball , for a driver I still set max at 200*f, track only I set high at 185*f .
    remember the OEM numbers in these HPTuners files are not absolute Min/Max , the ECU will adjust to out of range values based on last value and it's own safety margins.

for someone who only races their car/truck in Chi-town, I would set the Low ECT #s in the 40s and still keep the High according to T-stat ,

now the advantage on the Higher "low values is, you shorten up the scale, but you have the same amount of data Points, which means more control over the function.

i changed the column. does this seem good? im not sure what the numbers mean yet. i assume its how much denser the air is or how much more fuel is put into the fuel trimScreenshot 2023-09-17 115602.png

i changed the column. does this seem good? im not sure what the numbers mean yet. i assume its how much denser the air is or how much more fuel is put into the fuel trimScreenshot 2023-09-17 115602.png

This is closer to what you would want.

Remember this is just a multiplier table, what it does is it takes the VE table and adjusts it for the ECT temp, so if say your tune is calling for 76%VE as a value for where the engine is at that point of a drive ( say 2976RPM and 1.0 Pratio) this table adjusts it according to the ECT temp

so at 50F(ECT) it's now 1.05 X 76%= 79.8%VE , so the ECU wants to target 79.8% instead of the VE tables listed 76% , when the Engine temps get to roughly 70-75*f (1.0) the ECU will now target what the table says 76% VE , when engine temps get to 199*f(.98) it'll target 74.5%VE instead of the VE tables 76%

Now for the GPEC guys, If the Neural Network is on, it will not reference this table. for the NN enable guys the only ECT tuning you have is in the Idle tables.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    that table is the factor the multiplier uses vs temp change (ect)

when you change your t stat temp, the axis needs to be redone so 1:1 is at operating temps

yours looks ok but 1:1 is a lil low and it does not pull fuel if etc increases

*oh sorry got a phone call and did not realize ray posted