Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E67 V6 engine Swap VATS issue

Tuner in Training

E67 V6 engine Swap VATS issue

Hi All,
    I need some help.
    I have a 3.6 HFV6 enigne from a Pontiac G6 in an MGB using an E67 controller configured as a Pontiac G6.
    I can't get it to start. I believe it's a VATS issue as I do not seem to have any injector pulses. I received a cal from Steve at EFIHarnesses that I thought would help and in fact the engine tried to start once but since then, and without any changes, refuses to do so.

The VATS patches are disabled as are the immobilizer DTCs.
    I don't have any trouble codes.
    Fuel Pressure is good.

Any ideas?

Senior Tuner
    Post tune.

Senior Tuner
    There are starter checks that sometimes need to be disabled too. And I assume you chose WRITE ENTIRE when flashing?

Some odd platforms need DTC's changed for security to be disabled.. E67's stuff typically isn't like that.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    There are starter checks that sometimes need to be disabled too. And I assume you chose WRITE ENTIRE when flashing?

Some odd platforms need DTC's changed for security to be disabled.. E67's stuff typically isn't like that.
    Hi Alvin, thanks for the reply. Yes I did an entire write. What starter checks are you referring to? I am running the starter manually. There is no start circuit to the ECM. I assume that in the Pontiac the start signal was transmitted thorugh the CAN BUS. Do you have a suggestion?
    Thanks
    Al

Senior Tuner
    Post the file and I'll show you. It's in the system tab if I remember right.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Hi Alvin, Here's the file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    The starter diag is already disabled. Its ECM 730 if you want to look at it.

I wrote this already but you have to do a write entire to disable vats.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    The starter diag is already disabled. Its ECM 730 if you want to look at it.

I wrote this already but you have to do a write entire to disable vats.

Tuner in Training
    I've already tried an entire write, not just cal. with no affect. It fires briefly when I use quick start (ether) but then dies, confirming that it is a fuel only issue.
    I'm getting frustrated.
    Any other thoughts? Did you spot anything else in the file that might cause the problem?
    Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Probably a wiring issue. That's usually the case on the no start swaps.

You really need a scanner that will tell you the status of things beyond what HPT will see.

Tuner in Training
    OK Thanks. I'll check.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would suspect a wiring issue if all the vats and starter checks have already been disabled.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Hi Bill,

Given that it does fire when I use ether. It seems that all the other systems seem to be OK except the fueling and I don't have any codes set.

I have not provide any inputs for, vehicle speed, transmission, fuel sender, evap, fuel tank pressure, brake input but I think I've cancelled the diagnostics for them.

Any suggestion on what specific wiring I should be checking and are there any other specific inputs that the algorithm needs to allow running?

Thanks
    Al

Senior Tuner
    Confirm fuel pressure and then check injector wiring.

Senior Tuner
    I've run into a handful of GEN 4 stuff that acts like it has a vats issue when it is really a cam sensor issue. The ones that have done this to me have not set a cam code. But fire and immediately die within a second.

Usually when people plug directly into the cam sensor from the main engine harness. The little jumper harness crosses two wires.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner in Training
    Still no luck. The engine won?t fire.
    I?ve checked the wiring for most critical systems (crank sensor, cam sensors, injectors, ignition coils) from connectors to the ECM pin per the attached 2007 Pontiac G6 3.6 E67 Pin-out, with good continuity and no errors.
    -Note- EGR, Evap, Fuel Sensor, Veh. speed, Brake input, Secondary O2, etc. disabled.
    There is power to the injectors and coils. I even changed the crank sensor, just in case.
    When I try to start it, I get about 58-59 psi fuel pressure, the throttle works, I get correct coolant and intake air temps., the baro reading is also correct and I get an initial advance setting of 5 deg. However I don?t get an RPM reading on the scanner during cranking.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

From 'Engine Cranks But Does Not Run' in the service manual:
    5. Observe the engine speed parameter while cranking the engine.
    ⇒ If engine RPM is not indicated, refer to DTC P0335 or P0336 .

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    From 'Engine Cranks But Does Not Run' in the service manual:
    Thanks for the tip. Even though those Crank Sensor codes aren't set, I already suspected a crank sensor issue that's why in my previous post I mentionned that I changed the sensor and checked the continuity of the wiring from sensor to the ECM with no success. I guess I'll keep looking.

Senior Tuner
    Checked the elector ring? Fairly common issue on the related v6 in the 5th gen Camaro.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Checked the elector ring? Fairly common issue on the related v6 in the 5th gen Camaro.
    It's a very low mileage (6miles) engine from a damaged in transit car that had to be scrapped. I don't think the wheel is a problem but I guess the only way to make sure is to drop the pan and have a look. Not looking forward to it.
    Thanks