Thread: Can a new 6L80 TECM/TCM be configured with HP tuners?

Tuner in Training

Can a new 6L80 TECM/TCM be configured with HP tuners?

Hey Y'all,

Can I program a 6L80 TECM with my old config if I replace my trans with a unit from Jegs or whatnot? Or does the GDS do some kind of proprietary initlization(sp)process for it to be used? Or is it like most computers, give it an OS and it's working? Will it still show up as a module without it's code?

I have a GDS2 kit on the way to troubleshoot my plethora of other errors but it's not clear if I can do it without spending even more $$..

C

Senior Tuner
    I've been able to WRITE ENTIRE T42 and T43 calibrations without issue. You should be able to do the same.

It's not like the GEN 4+ ECM's where you cannot do a WRITE ENTIRE to change OS's.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I've been able to WRITE ENTIRE T42 and T43 calibrations without issue. You should be able to do the same.

It's not like the GEN 4+ ECM's where you cannot do a WRITE ENTIRE to change OS's.
    Thanks that's good information.

Ok here's a couple more questions I've been meaning to ask. Are the 8L90's a more reliable trans than a 6L80? Do they cost less to rebuild? The reason I ask is I have 2015 Yukon that needs it's 6L80 rebuilt. Shops want around 6K to rebuild it.

I have an extra 8L90 and it's entire harness including it's T87 TCU sitting on my shelf.. It was married to the L86 I used in my truck..

Is it worth it to have the shop rebuild the 8L90 instead of the 6L80? When the 8 speeds tear up do they cost as much to rebuild like the 6 speeds?

I'm having sticker shock, I just put an engine in that truck last week. I'm debating on getting a GM trans with a decent warranty once this trans stops moving the truck or having a local shop rebuild the one I have now. Or taking the time to change the harness to the 2018 ECU and TCU and have the 8L90 rebuilt.

C

Senior Tuner
    How much power are you looking to push through the 6L80? Tim King Charges a lot less for their 600hp builds and I've heard a lot of good things about their work. I'm probably needing a rebuild on mine.

https://tkrtransmissions.com/product...-transmission/
    Last edited by gtstorey; 09-21-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    How much power are you looking to push through the 6L80? Tim King Charges a lot less for their 600hp builds and I've heard a lot of good things about their work. I'm probably needing a rebuild on mine.

https://tkrtransmissions.com/product...-transmission/
    Thanks for the lead. Work got crazy, I let the shop take care of it. I have a 415ci short block I'm going to put in next summer.

The plan is to use a close to low duration cam and install a smaller turbo. It's for the family bus, I want it to put me back in my seat a 1800 rpm, make turbo noises and not tear up.

Tuner in Training
    I'm kinda new to this tuning thing and was wondering the same thing my self. My transmission just went out in 2014 Silverado and i purchased one from orielys auto parts. Going to be installing this weekend. So what im gathering here is that i will be able to program it myself from my stock downloaded program? Also how many credits would i need to do this, 2 or 6?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by newby96 View Post
    I'm kinda new to this tuning thing and was wondering the same thing my self. My transmission just went out in 2014 Silverado and i purchased one from orielys auto parts. Going to be installing this weekend. So what im gathering here is that i will be able to program it myself from my stock downloaded program? Also how many credits would i need to do this, 2 or 6?
    Yea, if you have the existing code and credits to license them. I remember two credits for each computer. You can find stock code here in the repository if you don't have yours. It's in your user profile..

Tuner in Training
    got it thanks for the help. Yeah i read my techm before i removed it.

Potential Tuner
    Going to jump in on this. I have a 2015 Tahoe 5.3L w/6L80E that has died. I have a GM reman 6L80E on order. What do I need to do to be able to program the TECM and get this thing to work? I haven;t been able to get a straight answer. I have read everything from "just read the old, and write to the new" to "the only one who can do it is the dealer" and a ton of other shit in-between.

I have read and tuned my existing trans TECM. I am not going to swap my TECM to the new trans, and I assume the unit that is coming with the ACDelco trans will be a new unit.

Here is why this is important - the only way I can do this without having to pay some assclown $6000.00 is to trailer the Tahoe 5 hours to a buddy's shop, and do the swap on a Saturday and then drive home Sunday. There isn't an opportunity to take it to dealer even if I was inclined to do so. I have heard enough variants of "it can be done" to make me feel like it CAN be done - but I want to know exactly what I need to do to be successful.

I am reasonably well-versed in tuning things with HP Tuners and have a ton of experience with BMW coding and tuning so I am not new to this stuff - just never done a TECM beyond changing lockup and other settings.

If the TCM in the reman unit is new-new and has never had any code in it of any kind, HPT will not recognize it. It's got to have a bootloader present or something like that. If the TCM has that low-level stuff in it already, if it's been flashed with a generic placeholder calibration or whatever, then you can write-entire it with a different OS with HPT just fine. If HPT won't recognize it then it has to be done with GM SPS.

Anecdotally, people finding that their replacement TCM is totally blank and can't be recognized is pretty rare, but just be aware that it is possible, there's no way to know ahead of time what is in the TCM you will get.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks - so what (if anything) should I do ahead of time? Full read of mine?

Do you not already have a file, and have it licensed? Never read/written to the truck before this?

Potential Tuner
    I didn't say that. I asked what is needed to ensure I have the correct file(s) when it comes time to write to the new TECM.

I have done plenty of connections/reads/edits/cal writes to my existing modules.

What I have never done is a full write to a new module with HP Tuner.

Senior Tuner
    We can't really answer whether you have a current file or not without reading the TCM. Only you can prevent forest ..., I mean only you know that.

What I mean is, what file would you write to it other than the one you already have?

Potential Tuner
    Are there different reads ie: full read, cal only, etc? When we are tuning BMWs for example there is a difference between a full ECU readout vs a cal only read. We almost NEVER do a full read because it takes too much time and is unnecessary for just a good old tune file creation.

Most of the stuff I have changed and saved in my Tahoe has been what I'd consider cal level stuff.

If, when I connect and click "read" it does a full read of all the modules, and there aren't any other settings/preferemces I need to change elsewhere to get that full read then I am good. If I need to do something beyond the default read parameters to potentially get the extra data that may not be part of a read I need to know that.

Is my question stupid? Like I said - most of my background is in tuning/coding BMWs and any normal "read" with any normal software wouldn't get you what we are talking about potentially needing for this adventure. Just making sure I am not missing something before the trans is out and it is too late.

Senior Tuner
    Read is a full read on GM as long as the module is selected. Write can be calibration only or entire. At least on the older stuff. If it was me, I would hook it and see if it has any options for reading.

The file you've already read out of it is everything that will ever come out, that is 'your file'.