Thread: Why am i getting 1 deg spark on throttle hit at the drag strip

Why am i getting 1 deg spark on throttle hit at the drag strip

Car is a 04 gto with a 6.0 helping my buddy dial in the tune. factory intake, factory injectors long tube headers, full exhaust with x-pipe coldish air intake, (sloppy stage 3 cam and 3k stall and was prior street tuned what we was told anyway)

The fist pass the car was a turd and notice that when he hit the throttle the spark dropped all the way to 1 deg and then picked up once he got rolling traction control was off. in a attempt to remedy the spark loss i removed the timing pulled from spark iat table and reduced the spark retard vs torque reduction by 10 %, pushed his shift points out a little farther this seemed to help a little.

Also was leaning the afr out some on the top end only got three passes but it did drop a half a second in those adjustments but im curious if i was on the correct track for the reduced spark on the hit.

I also started to dial back the shift speed times and upshift base pressures in a attempt to soften the 1-2 upshift. the way it was when we got it would chirp the tires on the 1-2 and i was trying not to have it blow out the diff on the track. but in the 13.8 log you can see where it lost traction on the 1-2.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2001 monte carlo swapped l67 on e85
    XP cam
    gen5 m90
    NorthStar throttle body
    speed daddy headers 3inch exhaust
    3.0 pulley
    lq4 maf
    cold air filter behind bumper
    60 lb injectors

More important, why did the injector duty drop to 6% at 6600 rpm? AFR at that point was 18. something and you were at 100% throttle. Loose connection somewhere?
    Where is your rev limiter set? Maybe you hit the rev limit and it pulled timing. I will go back and look. Rev limiter is set at 6600 so maybe dial back your shift points. by 400 rpm and see if that works. You might have to play with that.
    Go to Engine---Torque mgt, look at TPS max and make that whole table 100 except the first row across and leave that 0.
    Your idle spark is really high. That could be somewhere around 18 degrees.
    Your high octane and low octane tables are the same. The low octane table should be about 5 degrees lower. In case it knocks---if your knock sensors are still turned on.
    Here is a good link from PCMofNC to tune your IAC. https://www.pcmofnc.com/2021/03/05/i...throttle-body/. Alvin posted this on another thread.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 09-22-2023 at 09:32 AM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

yeah after i moved the shift points up and tried to slow down the shift speed he may of also gotten out the grove but yes he got a little sideways after the upshift and peddled it. he claim after each tune it was pulling better each time. i was in question about the idle spark this is my first big cam tune i am learning as i go i havent adjusted any spark tables yet. im going to back the shift point down a little. kinda over shot it.
    XP cam
    gen5 m90
    NorthStar throttle body
    3.0 pulley
    lq4 maf
    60 lb injectors

Senior Tuner
    I mean if you're shifting a 4L60E above 6000 rpm you're asking for trouble. Might not notice anything wrong now, but you will eventually as parts wear out.

That' was the plan for it to bang out 6000 rpm up shit. I over shot my guess
    XP cam
    gen5 m90
    NorthStar throttle body
    3.0 pulley
    lq4 maf
    60 lb injectors