Thread: Jeep EcoDiesel ZF8HP Tune

Potential Tuner

Question Jeep EcoDiesel ZF8HP Tune

Hello everyone,

I am planning to optimize the transmission of one of my WK2 Ecodiesel with ZF8HP.
    As far as I can see, the Diesel and SRT transmissions are very similar, but there are some differences in the software versions between Diesel and SRT.

My question is, can I copy the points Shift Scheduling, Shift Pressure and Shift Timing from the SRT data into my series, or are the two Transmissions too different that it would destroy my gear?

I would like it to shift a little more directly and quickly and ultimately play further with the TCC lockup for more fuel economy.

Thanks
    BigJanni

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJanni View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am planning to optimize the transmission of one of my WK2 Ecodiesel with ZF8HP.
    As far as I can see, the Diesel and SRT transmissions are very similar, but there are some differences in the software versions between Diesel and SRT.

My question is, can I copy the points Shift Scheduling, Shift Pressure and Shift Timing from the SRT data into my series, or are the two Transmissions too different that it would destroy my gear?

I would like it to shift a little more directly and quickly and ultimately play further with the TCC lockup for more fuel economy.

Thanks
    BigJanni
    Hello!
    It will not "destroy" your transmission per say... but it will not fit 100%.

As the engine is quite different, changing pressures might make it to become "too sporty" or generate flare

Shift scheduling might not fit as well (as engines are quite different).

TCC: I would assume SRT might have a bigger one... might not fit 100% as well.

I mean, you can try... but does not sound like a good fit..

DodgeBoy.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785
    Email: [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Thank you DodgeBoy for your assessment,
    yesterday I had another Jeep Ecodiesel here for a Stage 1 and I noticed that the transmission shifts earlier and for my feeling a little more direct and faster.

Mine is an overland from 2019 with 55,000km and the other was a summit from 2015 with 265,000km run. I read out the software version from the Summit and there are a lot of differences to mine.

Do you know if there will be different transmissions at some point in terms of the years of construction, or if there will be different software versions between Overland and Summit?
    Or could it be because the Summit ran significantly more km and adapted it quite differently?

BigJanni

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJanni View Post
    Thank you DodgeBoy for your assessment,
    yesterday I had another Jeep Ecodiesel here for a Stage 1 and I noticed that the transmission shifts earlier and for my feeling a little more direct and faster.

Mine is an overland from 2019 with 55,000km and the other was a summit from 2015 with 265,000km run. I read out the software version from the Summit and there are a lot of differences to mine.

Do you know if there will be different transmissions at some point in terms of the years of construction, or if there will be different software versions between Overland and Summit?
    Or could it be because the Summit ran significantly more km and adapted it quite differently?

BigJanni
    Adaptation: as more as you drive the vehicle, more the transmission will self-adapt. Each transmission will have a specific adaption, depending on miles, driving style and vehicle utilization
    Transmission: it should be a similar hardware with a different calibration in it (software base should be the same or very similar - specially if vehicles are the same Model/year)
    Engine Mods: Once any upgrade/change is performed, it will change how transmission self-adapt. Keep in mind self-adaptation has a limit - so, depending on the mods, transmission re-tune should be required.

My suggestion is: work on the baseline software you have to make it more aggressive (as you wish) and change shift schedule (as you wish as well).

DodgeBoy.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeBoy_8HP View Post
    Adaptation: as more as you drive the vehicle, more the transmission will self-adapt. Each transmission will have a specific adaption, depending on miles, driving style and vehicle utilization
    Transmission: it should be a similar hardware with a different calibration in it (software base should be the same or very similar - specially if vehicles are the same Model/year)
    Engine Mods: Once any upgrade/change is performed, it will change how transmission self-adapt. Keep in mind self-adaptation has a limit - so, depending on the mods, transmission re-tune should be required.

My suggestion is: work on the baseline software you have to make it more aggressive (as you wish) and change shift schedule (as you wish as well).

DodgeBoy.

Thanks for your answer,
    I've read up a bit and hope I've understood some things correctly when it comes to making the gear changes more aggressive/sporty.
    Is it correct if in sport/performance mode I shorten the time of the oncoming clutch and increase the pressure for the same fields and at the same time reduce the time and pressure of the offgoing clutch. or do I need more customization?