Thread: 5.9 magnum MAP sensor boost

5.9 magnum MAP sensor boost

i've seen videos where people say they used a honda map sensor, which can read over 1 bar they didn't elaborate how they got it to work, i doubt it bolts directly on

any other map sensors that might work maybe a direct replacement?
    Last edited by jbliss15; 10-02-2023 at 06:13 PM.
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

anyone have any idea about a MAP for 5.9magnum that is capable of reading boost
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

Tuner in Training
    I haven't done this myself but I found the dodge neon SRT4 MAP sensor seems to be the popular choice. I'm not exactly sure if its plug and play or if some conversions will be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Reapreap View Post
    I haven't done this myself but I found the dodge neon SRT4 MAP sensor seems to be the popular choice. I'm not exactly sure if its plug and play or if some conversions will be necessary.
    damn thanks for replying i dont' know why i didnt think of that, i'll go look at some now, there is a decent chance that it could be mounted the same
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

hm i never really looked close at the map sensor on the 5.9 magnum. it looks like its not mounted in a specific spot on the throttle body for vaccum, it has a vacuum hose going to it. so i probably could use a different map sensor mounted anywhere

still researching

shit i'm not sure, i guess the best way is to just go outside and take off the stock map and look
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

Tuner in Training
    I got this information from "racingramfam" on youtube, he's got a twin turbo 5.2 or 5.9

Using this map sensor Standard Motor Products AS220. He just made a bracket to hold it somewhere on the beer keg intake and put a hose out the side for it. Needed to adapt the wires as the connector isn't the same, 5v, signal, & ground.

So nothing will be an easy fit, gonna have to get creative.

Cool thanks for looking. I'll figure something out. What you did was what I thought would need to happen
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

i ended up using a honda map sensor because i dont need to read above 11psi.

does anyone out there know how to do map scaling? is there a formula to convert from map to map? the stock 5.9 map doesn't read boost, i dont know how much vacuum they are able to read.

i basically tuned the truck with the honda map sensor by trial and error *not knowing exactly what rows correspond to what vac/boost*
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

Tuner in Training
    When I supercharged my 408 (5.9 magnum) I installed a Hughes intake. Not long ago there was a fellow that was making a SRT4 MAP sensor to intake manifold adapter. I bought one and installed the sensor straight to the intake. Works good... however the fellow quit making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mully95 View Post
    When I supercharged my 408 (5.9 magnum) I installed a Hughes intake. Not long ago there was a fellow that was making a SRT4 MAP sensor to intake manifold adapter. I bought one and installed the sensor straight to the intake. Works good... however the fellow quit making them.
    thats cool

i have a srt4 sensor as well, but in the stock PCM only two of the rows are out of boost. the resolution is low with it.

anyone out there know how much vacuum these map sensors can read? i just guessed 30
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

Senior Tuner
    Idk if this will be helpful or not, but you can use a GM sensor. The "adapter" is a piece of vacuum line. Keep the length short and it'll work fine.

GM MAP Data and PN.png

nice, saving the chart for future reference
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

i ended up using a honda map sensor because idont want to go over 11psi anyways.

its a 2000 dakota r/t and it fucking rips at 8psi
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

Tuner in Training
    to rescale for a different sensor you need to know to max and min values then you will modify your cells so basically what you will need to do is take you bottom rows and move the to the middle row and you will squish your graph (i know thats a bad metaphor) but basicly your resolution will become half if that makes sense you wont be able to gain any more cells total so your graph currently for na will need to be squished top to bottom because your still using the same voltage 0 to 5 volts before wot would have you at appox 4.5v and now your max boost your sensor can read is 4.5v everything gets tighter, thats why a lot of people dont recommend boost on the factory ecm not saying it cant be done ive tunes several boosted jtec systems but its not easy and you will always have some sort of issue some people can live with them some cant.
    01 dodge dakota 5.9 swapped nv3500, ported stock heads, m1 intake, 220 220 custom grind comp cams, 10.3:1 compression tuned by me with hp tuners.

15 jeep jk 3.6 lifted on 33s 87 octane custom tune by me with hp tuners

04 dodge dakota 4.7 air ram heads, 08 cams, 08 intake manifold, 10.5:1 compression, 341whp custom tuned by me with hp tuners.

Yeah it's definitely not easy for drivability

Wot is fine

I'm kinda getting there but the base map has to be really lean and I have the enrichment coming on very early
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi

I'm having a hard time with warm start. It starts fine cold and hot but long cranks warm
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi