Thread: Swapped 5.7 hemi Drivability issues

Potential Tuner

Swapped 5.7 hemi Drivability issues

Hello everyone,

new to tuning

I have a 89 Dodge Ramcharger that is hemi swapped, it has a 2013 5.7/645rfe Truck engine with a 6.4 VVT camshaft (non mds) Im having some drivability concerns. Ive had the truck dyno tuned (343rwhp 334rwtq) it runs good at WOT but it has some issues like when the engine is cold and i take off to start driving at less than 1/4 throttle it stumbles then catches itself once i give it more throttle. it also lags a bit on take off when hot not sure if these are related my next concern is why the VVT is turned off (its a VVT cam) also i was looking at my VE table and wanted someone with experience to look at it because it does not look very smooth again new to tuning. so my question is why is the VVT turned off and can it be turned on safely (i know the VVT will need to be tuned) and is there something im missing in the tune that would explain the stumble on take off? Ive already adjusted the throttle voltage and it did help some. and if someone could take an overall look and give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated

Im going to post the original tune from the tuner and the one i adjusted as well as some logs

Thank you

what camshaft do you have ? do you have a convertor? ?

your VVT is turned on , reason why it drives like ass is because who ever tuned it was very lazy and only focused on wot. i would take it back and have him finish the process.

Potential Tuner
    no i dont have a converter its the cam that comes in the 6.4 hemi with the manual transmission so its vvt but no mds

Potential Tuner
    I'm not going to take it back to them since they don't care to do it correctly. Anything specific that stands out to you? I adjusted the transmission side of things because the drivability of the transmission was terrible but since ive been adjusting things its better now. but have not touched anything on the engine side and looking through it ive noticed that they obviously half assed it. ive noticed that alot of the tables are not smooth and when you say the vvt is on you mean the exhaust cam phaser 1 is on is that the same as the vvt being on? because i noticed that it says disabled under the general tab of variable camshaft under "equipped"

Quote Originally Posted by eazaroff View Post
    I'm not going to take it back to them since they don't care to do it correctly. Anything specific that stands out to you? I adjusted the transmission side of things because the drivability of the transmission was terrible but since ive been adjusting things its better now. but have not touched anything on the engine side and looking through it ive noticed that they obviously half assed it. ive noticed that alot of the tables are not smooth and when you say the vvt is on you mean the exhaust cam phaser 1 is on is that the same as the vvt being on? because i noticed that it says disabled under the general tab of variable camshaft under "equipped"
    Your VVT is set like how it came from the factory they didnt touch it. your fuel trims are everywhere which controls your fueling at idle and part throttle ,they messed with air flow tables that shouldn't be touched unless running a big big camshaft. the lock up on the trans is wrong , why is the idle speed set so high ? do you have a aftermarket camshaft ? if you do which one ? also your tq model isnt right ether they just added a shit ton to the table across the board.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_Tuning View Post
    Your VVT is set like how it came from the factory they didnt touch it. your fuel trims are everywhere which controls your fueling at idle and part throttle ,they messed with air flow tables that shouldn't be touched unless running a big big camshaft. the lock up on the trans is wrong , why is the idle speed set so high ? do you have a aftermarket camshaft ? if you do which one ? also your tq model isnt right ether they just added a shit ton to the table across the board.
    ok i was told the fuel trims are the way they are because i have an exhaust leak at the manifold on bank 1. i set the idle to 850 because any lower it didnt feel right at idle in gear it felt like it was idling rough (this may be due to the fuel trims being everywhere). also on a cold start it would idle normal then rev up then back down which seemed to be neglect on the tuners part because that original table had the idle values go up then back down. The camshaft im running is what would be in a manual 6.4 car so it has vvt and is not mds compatible so its not a huge cam i think when i was doing the research it was only .100 more lift than the 5.7 truck cam so its not a monster camshaft. i did not touch the the torque converter lock up i left that alone the only thing i changed was the shift scheduling because they adjusted the 2-4 upshift which caused it at light throttle to upshift to 4th from 2nd then down to 3rd because i was complaining about it upshifting all the way and felling like a dog when im trying to pass in traffic. and when you say tq model are you referring to indicated aircharge to torque per cyl? just want to be on the same page im still new to tuning. and i appreciate the help.

also that part throttle table could that be a cause of it stumbling on light throttle like less than 1/4 throttle cause the table dips down?
    Last edited by eazaroff; 10-02-2023 at 09:37 PM.

ok i was told the fuel trims are the way they are because i have an exhaust leak at the manifold on bank 1. i set the idle to 850 because any lower it didnt feel right at idle in gear it felt like it was idling rough (this may be due to the fuel trims being everywhere). also on a cold start it would idle normal then rev up then back down which seemed to be neglect on the tuners part because that original table had the idle values go up then back down. The camshaft im running is what would be in a manual 6.4 car so it has vvt and is not mds compatible so its not a huge cam i think when i was doing the research it was only .100 more lift than the 5.7 truck cam so its not a monster camshaft. i did not touch the the torque converter lock up i left that alone the only thing i changed was the shift scheduling because they adjusted the 2-4 upshift which caused it at light throttle to upshift to 4th from 2nd then down to 3rd because i was complaining about it upshifting all the way and felling like a dog when im trying to pass in traffic. and when you say tq model are you referring to indicated aircharge to torque per cyl? just want to be on the same page im still new to tuning. and i appreciate the help.

also that part throttle table could that be a cause of it stumbling on light throttle like less than 1/4 throttle cause the table dips down?
    Ya you don't have exhaust leaks & if you did the fuel trims would show us dead lean postive which it isn't. i would lower it back with the tune i sent you to try . the truck was tuned using Speed density which is the wrong approach IMO based off the camshaft you have , so i turn on Neural Network like how it should be ! you just gotta adjust the fuel trims. i also put everything back to stock that shouldn't have been touched. flash tune and reset Adaptives and try it out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Ok i will give it a whirl and report back with logs

question about neural network will it adjust tables by itself and then can you see what its changed if you read the file after driving it for a while?

Ok i will give it a whirl and report back with logs

question about neural network will it adjust tables by itself and then can you see what its changed if you read the file after driving it for a while?
    all you do is log Inj PW Cyl 1 and Avg and fuel mass cyl 1 and tune the idle and driving based off the fuel trims in the injector scaling table.

This is a copy and paste of a tune that I wrote for a 81 D100 4x2 RCSB , truck has been running this tune off and on since 2016, , this is the 91OCT version of the tune..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_Tuning View Post
    all you do is log Inj PW Cyl 1 and Avg and fuel mass cyl 1 and tune the idle and driving based off the fuel trims in the injector scaling table.
    these are the adjustments i made based on the logs

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    This is a copy and paste of a tune that I wrote for a 81 D100 4x2 RCSB , truck has been running this tune off and on since 2016, , this is the 91OCT version of the tune..
    ok ill take a look at it

how did it run ? any feedback , i am not going to be around my laptop for a day.

Potential Tuner
    i had replied but somehow it isnt here anymore but anyways so i took the adjustments you gave me and implemented them. As soon as i wrote the tune to the truck i could tell that its already started adjusting things im assuming the NN is machine learning? i drove it for a while and data logged what you said then adjusted the injector table for it. So its getting even better, the fuel trims dont seem to be every where like they were and the idling seems to be smoothing its self out. its starting to not feel like it wants to cut off when i come to a stop and it also is not as hesitant on take off. so i logged before and after and made the injector adjustments so when your able to take a look at it and tell me what you think? im going to log some more to see if i could get it even closer. so it seems to be on the right track!

disregard that earlier post with the files i had made incorrect adjustments and wrote them to the truck went and drove it and was like nope not right lol so i went back and started over the logging then figured out what i did wrong

well everything is looking alot better ! now here is where you start really fine tune it . GL!

Potential Tuner
    thank you for the help!!