Thread: Disconnecting VNT turbo plug for Gated turbo conversions

Disconnecting VNT turbo plug for Gated turbo conversions

Hi eveyone in the coming months I will be removing my VNT and adding a gated turbo....what can I do about the ecu still trying to target MAP and commanding VNT % actuator ? .....can I just turn off DCT ? Or will the only thing that I can do us leave the VNT turbo plugged in tucked away in the engine bay and turn off DCTs for all relations to turbo?

The gated turbo will be on waste gate pressure only 8psi......car is a 2018 Ford ranger 3.2 Auto SID208 ecu

really no one knows ?

Tuner in Training
    So your replacing the VGT Turbo that puts out a consistent 19-22 PSI for flat torque delivery and replacing it with a turbo that will be gated for only 8 PSI?

yes at First 8 PSI because i will be learning to tuning and keeping it safe.....Once confident with tuning i will get bigger Injector nozzles and turn up the boost to 25 Psi on a Garret GT30

NateDog I know you Perfer VGT turbos over Gatted turbos but i love gatted turbos for less exhaust Back pressure because the VGT vanes are trying to control boost....with the VGT vanes almost always restricting the exhaust gas flow to Control boost this will cause a little spike in EGT because not all the exhaust gases can get out and the burnt exhaust gases are stuck in for the next combustion cycle and will have a slight loss in power....this is another reason why we dont see that many VGT setup's on Diesel Tractor sled pulling and quarter mile in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Aus_spec_ranger View Post
    yes at First 8 PSI because i will be learning to tuning and keeping it safe.....Once confident with tuning i will get bigger Injector nozzles and turn up the boost to 25 Psi on a Garret GT30

NateDog I know you Perfer VGT turbos over Gatted turbos but i love gatted turbos for less exhaust Back pressure because the VGT vanes are trying to control boost....with the VGT vanes almost always restricting the exhaust gas flow to Control boost this will cause a little spike in EGT because not all the exhaust gases can get out and the burnt exhaust gases are stuck in for the next combustion cycle and will have a slight loss in power....this is another reason why we dont see that many VGT setup's on Diesel Tractor sled pulling and quarter mile in the USA
    You don't really need to worry about over boosting, you won't hurt a diesel by running it leaner aka more boost, you'll just pick up power by doing that. What size is the GT30 you're looking at? IE: GT3076R? GT3071R? If i were looking at either of those I'd also look at the GTX3071R, or the G30-660

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    You don't really need to worry about over boosting, you won't hurt a diesel by running it leaner aka more boost, you'll just pick up power by doing that. What size is the GT30 you're looking at? IE: GT3076R? GT3071R? If i were looking at either of those I'd also look at the GTX3071R, or the G30-660
    Thanks for the reply Jaegerwrenching yeah i know if there isnt enough fuel it will not lean out and detonate like a petrol car but i have always been worried about it running super lean and not having enough fuel where it miss fires and bends a conrod, not 100% sure about the conrod getting stressed on a missfire it was just something in my mind i have always worried about.

as for GT30 turbos i had my hopes and dreams on a PT 5858 witch is similar to a GT30 serires garret turbo.....But i Totally forgot about the G30-660.....the G30-660 would be awsome.....i have always wondered if my 3.2 liter Diesel could build 8psi by 1,500 RPM.....it might....i know another petrol 4.0 motor can on a GT35 turbo at 2k RPM full boost 14 psi....but thats 8:8CR
    mine is 15:8 CR so it should have some leg room to do what the 4.0 liter petrol motor can do.

worst case i would just go with a GT28 turbo.....hay i just thought of something the other day.....in my turbo map where the boost target is set to like for example all different boost targets from 4 psi all the way up to 22 psi......can i just put 8 psi in the top section of the map where more Torque is needed where my turbo makes 8 psi boost and where partial throttle is getting used target like what ever the turbo is making at partial throttle, for example if at partial throttle 20% throttle the turbo is only making 4 psi i will put that as my turbo target so the ECU dosnt put me into Limp mode ? so in other words i will change my boost target map to match across the map where ever my turbo makes boost i will just add it in the area so it is always on boost target ? and of course still have the old VGT turbo electronic plug still connected tucked away in the engine bay some where ?