Thread: Gen2 Cruze LE2 read/flash/tuning questions

Tuner in Training

Gen2 Cruze LE2 read/flash/tuning questions

I coming from Chrysler tuning and am wondering if there's anything specific I need to know for the reading and flashing process? Any specific process that needs to be followed?

1. One specific question is after I buy the credits and do the initial cal readout, no cal flash.....if the dealer flashes an update on the untouched cal, can/will it brick the ECM? Want to compare the stock tune to the CAI tune that comes with their kit. Probably only MAF cal changes.

2. I assumed GM has something along the lines of an "adaptive reset" like Chrysler that needs to be done after a flash. But I could not find it? So is it just resetting the fuel trims?

3. I have been looking at a 2016 LE2 stock readout. Assuming it's going to be similar to a 2018. It seems there's no way to shut off the catalyst sensor in that cal readout. But have been told EFIlive can....? Would I have to follow the process of using that other software (protune or something like that) to read it out, save the config, then manually request/convert the parameter over to HPT? Catless downpipe, track only car.

I appreciate any insight.
    2018 Chevy Cruze 1.4L manual trans- GM performance CAI, downpipe with AEM OBD2 wideband, Turbosmart LTG BOV with custom adapter, Mamba wastegate, ZZP throttle body spacer for AEM boost pressure gauge, ZZP billet turbo outlet, self tuning

1. You don't have to buy credits to do a read, only to write to a specific computer. And even if you write some changes, the dealer update will just overwrite everything without bricking.

2. On AcDelco ECUs you don't need to do anything special after flashing a file.

3. As far as i am aware, you can disable the after-cat lambda sensor. It's a matter of just disabling the P0420 diagnostic code (no mil, no error reported) and maybe some heater codes that pop up if you physically unplug the secondary lambda sensor.
    Make a read and you'll see what's possible and what is not in the file.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarisic View Post
    1. You don't have to buy credits to do a read, only to write to a specific computer. And even if you write some changes, the dealer update will just overwrite everything without bricking.

2. On AcDelco ECUs you don't need to do anything special after flashing a file.

3. As far as i am aware, you can disable the after-cat lambda sensor. It's a matter of just disabling the P0420 diagnostic code (no mil, no error reported) and maybe some heater codes that pop up if you physically unplug the secondary lambda sensor.
    Make a read and you'll see what's possible and what is not in the file.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I was under the impression you did need credits with the mpvi2. Read you don't with mpvi3. Last time I read out a Wrangler file it caused some weird issues and also wouldn't allow me to open the read out. So I just assumed because everything else I already had credits for and used them prior to the readout.... iirc.

As for turning the catalyst sensor off, my last vehicle I had to turn the sensor off AND disable a bunch of diagnostic codes.

Tuner in Training
    Another question. What's the difference between write all and write calibration? Chrysler had write ECM, write TCM, or write all which was both. I have a manual trans so the write all confused me slightly. Or is write all also writing the firmware or something?

And another.....Chrysler had to key off for 10 sec after the writing completed. This controller looked as if you could start the engine without keying off, right after the write completes? I'd assume to still key off after writing to the module has completed? At work we have Continental modules like the Chrysler, so it's second nature to have to key off after writing to the module.

I'm probably going a bit overboard, just like being particular on things like this.
    2018 Chevy Cruze 1.4L manual trans- GM performance CAI, downpipe with AEM OBD2 wideband, Turbosmart LTG BOV with custom adapter, Mamba wastegate, ZZP throttle body spacer for AEM boost pressure gauge, ZZP billet turbo outlet, self tuning

Senior Tuner
    Write calibration is writing tables that you can see in the HPT editor. Writing all is writing all of the other tables that HPT can read but not display (but there may be additional tables that HPT doesn't read on an ECM,usually throttle control/check). Typically for most tuning, you write calibration. VATS delete sometimes (?) requires write entire and sometimes can restore stuff when things just go wrong. Beyond that I don't know if what, if any, reason there is to write entire.

Quote Originally Posted by gokart2 View Post
    And another.....Chrysler had to key off for 10 sec after the writing completed. This controller looked as if you could start the engine without keying off, right after the write completes? I'd assume to still key off after writing to the module has completed? At work we have Continental modules like the Chrysler, so it's second nature to have to key off after writing to the module.
    Not all computers work the same. If you have a key fob with a button press start, first button press will usually do nothing and turn the ECU off. Pressing it again starts the car. Normal key fob start (where you turn the key) starts the car normally.
    There is really no need to remove the key and wait any amount of seconds.

Just watch out so you don't accidentally remove the key while the flashing is in progress. That guarantees the ECU loses power and bricks mid-flash.

OEM calibration engineers have the ability to even modify some parameters in real-time without shutting down the engine, we do not, sadly.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 10-13-2023 at 05:09 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Excellent , thank you guys very very much for that information. Greatly appreciated!

We have the ability to change on the fly at work. It would be amazing to be able to utilize that feature. But to my understanding it requires a special version of the ECM with added memory and likely firmware changes. We have ROM ECM'S and RAM ECM's. The random access memory ones are the change on the fly ones.
    Last edited by gokart2; 10-13-2023 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gokart2 View Post
    We have the ability to change on the fly at work. It would be amazing to be able to utilize that feature. But to my understanding it requires a special version of the ECM with added memory and likely firmware changes. We have ROM ECM'S and RAM ECM's. The random access memory ones are the change on the fly ones.
    It's very likely the original OS already supports this to some extent, it's just a matter of enabling a few flags in the calibration and use proper tools and definitions, which isn't easy.

Digging trough some WinOLS definitions for E78 i found these

4jZg5oybY2.png

Some references to ETK and CCP

https://www.etas.com/en/products/etk...interfaces.php

https://www.csselectronics.com/pages...ation-protocol

Tuner in Training
    It's very likely the original OS already supports this to some extent, it's just a matter of enabling a few flags in the calibration and use proper tools and definitions, which isn't easy.

Digging trough some WinOLS definitions for E78 i found these

4jZg5oybY2.png

Some references to ETK and CCP

https://www.etas.com/en/products/etk...interfaces.php

https://www.csselectronics.com/pages...ation-protocol
    I believe you are somewhat right. I have past experience with ETAS INCA software with the first prototype "in valley" turbo Duramax engines about 15 years ago.... roughly.

The ETAS hardware hooked to the ECM via a 3 pin CAN connector that if I believe to be correct, is not on production ECM's. Although it is possible that they soldered it to the board or used a pin out of some sort.

It was so long ago it's a bit foggy, but I do remember the ETAS connection to the ECM was not production based. Things may have changed since then. I also used INCA on Ford Powerstrokes (all but the 7.3's).....but don't remember anything about the way that hardware was connected.

Tuner in Training
    Keeping questions here instead of making more posts.

I'm having trouble with what looks to me like a fueling "dip". More or less I go WOT 3rd gear lower RPM. When I go WOT it doesn't go into PE mode, but goes from stoich to 13.45. But only for a split second. Torque flies up to my cutoff of 290. Then fueling switches from 13.45 to stoich, 14.12 for a split sec....when the dip occurs. Then it goes into PE and torque comes back to my limited amount.

I cannot for the life of me figure this out. Cannot find a logical parameter it's tied to. Have done all kinds of virtual torque stuff and PE stuff with no luck, No matter what, there's a PE delay. And all the related virtual torque cells are a bit higher than what is actual.

Any ideas? Middle of the torque dip is 17 sec into the log.

017 WOT.hpl

017.hpt
    Last edited by gokart2; 11-07-2023 at 05:07 PM.

This smells like scavenge mode to me, speeds up the turbo spool. When the actual MAP is lower than desired MAP, the ECU switches fueling, intake and exhaust cam angles and timing.
    Does the car drive fine otherwise?

Tuner in Training
    This smells like scavenge mode to me, speeds up the turbo spool. When the actual MAP is lower than desired MAP, the ECU switches fueling, intake and exhaust cam angles and timing.
    Does the car drive fine otherwise?
    You basically described what I'm seeing. I first thought it was related to the VVT mapping as I've found when I go to WOT at that point, the cams look like they jump maps. Thing is it's not jumping straight into the wot mapping, verified that. So then I looked into if it was jumping between the 3 different "baro VVT maps". I verified this wasn't the case by setting the three maps to the high baro setting, and cutting the max cam degree to 20?. Still when I go to WOT the exh cam will jump to say 28? when all the cutoffs are at 20??

I did think of scavenging, but I couldn't find a related table? The couple I did find were zero'd out already?

On a known good cal it drives perfectly fine except for that point. It's consistent, I do the same wot run every time. Same road, same gear, same rpm, everything but ambient conditions are the same.

Tuner in Training
    I've been digging and digging. I'm now under the impression that this is a fueling issue more than anything else. I'm attaching a pic to show how AFR cmd is jumping between stoich and and unknown EQ ratio/multiplier.

Basically I go to WOT and fueling dips really quick to the unknown 13.45 afr. Then back to stoich for about a half a sec. Then back to the unknown 13.45 afr. for about a sec. Then back to stoich for about a sec...... before going into the requested PE EQ ratio. That last jump from the unknown 13.49 afr to stoich is where the power hit comes from as you can see by the afr and torque traces.

I have gone through all PE tables and this isn't related to them. It has to be a parameter under a fueling or open loop/closed loop fueling (which it shows jumping between). I just cannot figure out which and where? Any ideas, thought, input is greatly appreciated.

I've been debating on dropping the power of the initial hit to smooth out the torque increase rate and remove the torque drop/droop. But that will negate more lag in which I don't believe is the optimal way to go around this.

Fuel issue.PNG

023 wot 2.hpl