Thread: Another Detect Protocol failed post

Another Detect Protocol failed post

So I have an E92 ECM I bought off ebay that is supposed to be an 2018-2019 model. Sticker on the back is gone so I cannot verify.
    Trying to read it with my bench harness but is getting Detect Protocol failed. I have two more E92's in my shop (2014 and 2017) and both reads fine on the same harness.
    MVPI1 if it matters.
    ECU will not connect to a generic OBD2 reader either.

Is it possible that the ECU is somehow broken internally so I am getting this message? I have read both 2018 and 2019 ECU's before with the same interface.

Thanks for any insight.

An ECM without a sticker is about as trustworthy as a used car with a missing VIN plate.

I agree. Just found it strange that I got this message because it is usually interference or low voltage that have caused it for me in the past.

Well I can think of only two possibilities, neither good, since it's inop when plugged into the same harness where other known-good ones work.

- It's not really an E92, it's something else that uses the same case & connector style but is pinned different, and it had its sticker removed and was sold as an E92 because money.
    - It's broken.