Thread: Aftermarket scan tool suggestions

Advanced Tuner

Aftermarket scan tool suggestions

A need came up for me recently for a diagnostic scan tool (2016 GM car not supported by HPT), and am looking for suggestions. I have a tech2, but the car is too new and uses GDS2/MDMI. A friend recently bought a Launch X431 and is happy with it. I also see the brand Autel coming up a bit. Anyone have any input/suggestions?

No matter which one you pick, there will be something on one or more cars (or even whole makes) that it just won't do, or doesn't do right. Extremely common for the pros to need more than one scan tool for that reason. Also why it's extremely hard to give a recommendation for the one that will do everything you need. None of them will.

I have an Autel MS906Pro and I have a Launch 129E scan tool.

Both work good but obviously the Autel can do about a million more things and is way faster.

https://autel.com/us/product/maxisys-ms906-pro/
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    You need to seriously look at what functions do you need. TPMS, Key programming, Pass through programming, oscilloscope, etc. At least with Autel, it's a pretty good jump up to get one to add a function, or it's another device. I ended up with the Autel MS906BT and then ended up wishing I bought one that could handle pass through programming.

You might want to also consider the TopDon stuff.