Thread: Confused on crank relearn does it work or not?

Tuner in Training

Confused on crank relearn does it work or not?

Still working on my 2019 f150 5.0 with Whipple gen5 stage 2 install. Shortly after installation i had a issue with truck and finally found a small broken bolt got caught up in bell housing and damaged relucter wheel.
    After replacement i performed the crank relearn and it came back successful. However I still have code 0315 even after several drive cycles.
    I have searched and found discussions on this from a few years back and the HP videos on how to perform crank relearn. My tuner says it doesn't work on HP and I need to take it to Ford or try a SCT device. I really don't want to go back to Ford they already nailed me for $1900 repl acing pcm for what ended up being the broken bolt.
    What is the definitive answer on how to perform crank relearn?

Crank re learn is not always working with vcm scanner.
    Use ForScan

Or just disable the code it will also work this way.

Senior Tuner
    Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff over a period of about 4-5 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle.
    That's 1000-1500RPM per second. Its a very slow rev, dont rush it. It works with HPT MPVI devices, I just fixed a car with check engine light on, P0315, random missing, after a new clutch and flywheel. It took me four or five tries to get the rev up speed just right and it to cleared the code shutting off the light on the rev that I got it right, didn't need to do any drive cycle to shut the check engine light off. IThe message of success, seems to just mean position learning ended you need to start over if it didn't clear the code.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Crank re learn is not always working with vcm scanner.
    Use ForScan

Or just disable the code it will also work this way.
    I looked im Forscan and didn't see it, however it is new to me. Could you give me directions for Forscan.
    Thanks Alan

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff over a period of about 4-5 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle.
    That's 1000-1500RPM per second. Its a very slow rev, dont rush it. It works with HPT MPVI devices, I just fixed a car with check engine light on, P0315, random missing, after a new clutch and flywheel. It took me four or five tries to get the rev up speed just right and it to cleared the code shutting off the light on the rev that I got it right, didn't need to do any drive cycle to shut the check engine light off. IThe message of success, seems to just mean position learning ended you need to start over if it didn't clear the code.
    It took me several trys just to get it to say successful, I will try it the way you described.

Tuner in Training
    Okay I tried it by reving slowly until I reached 4500 rpm several times. It came back successful each time but doesn't clear codes. I have the p0315, and a p061c.

Tuner in Training
    I found the relearn procedure in forscan and codes are gone however it still shows permanent codes when I check for codes in VCM. I'm going to complete a few drive cycles and see if they go away.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
    Okay I tried it by reving slowly until I reached 4500 rpm several times. It came back successful each time but doesn't clear codes. I have the p0315, and a p061c.
    Are you going high enough in the RPM to hit the fuel cutoff RPM limit? I think in neutral thats like 5500, but may be different in you tune.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah 5000 rpm in tune, im still on first file.

Just disable the code, this affects nothing

Tuner in Training
    Out of curiosity why does 0315 show up in VCM but not with Forscan?

Quote Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
    Out of curiosity why does 0315 show up in VCM but not with Forscan?
    Well I want to know that as well! Im not able to count how many times I had NO DTCs using other tools but the codes were still present in VCM Scaner...

It will display them as STORED, not sure either VCM Scanner is doing a better job or losing its mind...

Scanner is not doing a good job addressing data in EEPROM that is for sure, as-build data is a part of eeprom. Some things are live generated and stored in RAM like PATS...then some parameters from as-build can be stored in ram as well...

If I had to guess scanner is doing a better job displaying the codes but falls short erasing them. If the MIL light is present you have a code for sure.
    Last edited by veeefour; 10-10-2023 at 04:44 AM.

I have a question on this also. I have been having the same issue. I have tried a bunch of times with the VCM but the code for the crank doesn't do away. When I use the forscan I get misfires but the car seems more snappy and more responsive. Also have found that when I use the VCM to reset the crank position sensor I don't get misfires but the car doesn't seem as snappy from the launch or at WOT.

Marty

If the car is boosted misfire monitor is no use anyway, I mean you can use it but it will always make your day harder.
    Yes, stock boosted cars will use misfire monitor but with tables currently available in HPT this doesn't seem doable within reason.

VCM scanner has issues with re-learn sorry, period. Forscan works for most of the time, IDS and other tools too.
    If you have serious problems with monitor just disable this completely. Not worth the hassle.

Advanced Tuner
    Just an FYI, permanent codes will not go away if the code is disabled.
    You have to fix the issue that caused the permanent code first, allow it to clear, then you can disable it.

You mileage may vary, but this has been my experience.

Tuner in Training
    Wanted to give a update, the forscan did the crank relearn for me it took a few drive cycles and the permanent code didn't show anymore in VCM.

That seems to have taken care of it. I used the Forscan tool to do the crank relearn. It took over 5 minutes to get it to go fully through. Kept wanting to start over. But it finally worked. Disabled random misfires codes and startup misfire code. Then treated the issue I was getting around 60mph and about 2k as surging not misfires and it seems to drive much better now.