Thread: Audi 3.0t B8.5 Fuel Injector Issue

Tuner in Training

Question Audi 3.0t B8.5 Fuel Injector Issue

I have a 2013 Audi S5. Been tuned with HP now for several years and have had some help here in the past so hopefully we can figure this out.
    I just bought all new injectors from ECS Tuning (ES#4674750). ECS claims they are a drop in OEM replacement. However when I start the car it's rough, idle is like I have a big camed V8, LTFT are 25%, and it drives terribly and is jerky on and off throttle while cruising. WOT seems fine however. I was getting too lean mixture codes but after a day of it doing fuel trims that seems to have gone away.
    I'm not sure if the injector dead time is different, if the flow is different, no clue. After arguing with ECS customer support they told me they have no spec sheet on the injector as they are an OEM direct replacement. as well as they have sold 130 of them so far with no complaints or issues.
    Attached is a data log before the injector job was done, one after, as well as the tune file I am running.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    looks like you may have a vacuum leak, do you have access to a smoke machine?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrill View Post
    looks like you may have a vacuum leak, do you have access to a smoke machine?
    Just out of curiosity, what is it that you see that makes you believe vacuum leak?
    I don't have access to a smoke machine. Might be able to find a local shop with one if need be. I was planning to pull SC off this weekend again and look at everything underneath to double check. Those vacuum lines under SC are delicate, I have broken one in the past. It was about 50F outside when I did the injector job, lines were very brittle feeling. Tried to heat everything up with a heat gun first but can only do so much. I'll take a look underneath and see if I find anything. I probably could hook up a vacuum pump I have and check if the lines are holding vacuum, at least from end to end. Thanks, I'll update when I pull SC off.

Tuner in Training
    Your trims indicate to me that you have a vacuum leak somewhere, you can try the brake cleaner trick spraying around the motor when its running to see if anything changes with the idle or rpms.

Tuner in Training
    Just wanted to post a conclusion. It was not a vacuum leak or anything else with the car. I did vacuum test everything and everything held vacuum. I ended up getting a seal kit for the factory injectors and put those back in. Car went back to running normal. Clearly something is up with ECS injectors. I'm currently working on trying to do a return with them. However warning to all, they are giving me a hard time when I have pictures of how the injectors just don't fit right in the block and how they did not run correctly. Symptoms I had were failure to go into DFCO, bad idle, sparatic fuel trims. Running extremely rich. It was as if the ECU could not control the injectors.

Tuner in Training

pictures

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMcQouy View Post
    Just wanted to post a conclusion. It was not a vacuum leak or anything else with the car. I did vacuum test everything and everything held vacuum. I ended up getting a seal kit for the factory injectors and put those back in. Car went back to running normal. Clearly something is up with ECS injectors. I'm currently working on trying to do a return with them. However warning to all, they are giving me a hard time when I have pictures of how the injectors just don't fit right in the block and how they did not run correctly. Symptoms I had were failure to go into DFCO, bad idle, sparatic fuel trims. Running extremely rich. It was as if the ECU could not control the injectors.
    Like to see the pictures of the ill fitting injectors, was pressure from the cylinder escaping past?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrill View Post
    Like to see the pictures of the ill fitting injectors, was pressure from the cylinder escaping past?
    No I wasn't getting any blow by like I was when the teflon seal on one my injectors seemed to be swallowed up by my motor. The injectors were sealing to the block. However, they don't seem to be have fit correctly leading to one of the new injectors to actually crack around the wiring plug fitting.
    IMG_20231021_151557.jpg
    IMG_20231021_151501.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMcQouy View Post
    No I wasn't getting any blow by like I was when the teflon seal on one my injectors seemed to be swallowed up by my motor. The injectors were sealing to the block. However, they don't seem to be have fit correctly leading to one of the new injectors to actually crack around the wiring plug fitting.
    IMG_20231021_151557.jpg
    IMG_20231021_151501.jpg
    Looks like they changed the angle on the electrical plug in part and also the polarity.. that injector really got smooshed and pulled its guts out.

Potential Tuner
    I had the same problem with injectors purchased from ECS. I had to grind them to fit and the car's performance was very bad, in fact they are Chinese and of poor quality, money wasted...