Thread: Tuning the 8.1?

Tuner

Tuning the 8.1?

Has anyone been able to tweak the stock 8.1 chevys? I see there is a company that claims with their computer swap that you can get 50 more horsepower and 60 ft lbs of torque... I would think with the huge community here someone would be able to do it without spending the $700 plus sending your computer for a new one of the same back with their tune loaded... Just throwing out a bone lol

Quote Originally Posted by 99k2500 View Post
    Has anyone been able to tweak the stock 8.1 chevys? I see there is a company that claims with their computer swap that you can get 50 more horsepower and 60 ft lbs of torque... I would think with the huge community here someone would be able to do it without spending the $700 plus sending your computer for a new one of the same back with their tune loaded... Just throwing out a bone lol
    Yes, the 8.1L Chevy Vortec, commonly referred to as the big block, can definitely be tuned. The factory left some room for improvement, particularly with regard to fueling, timing, and transmission shift points. While some companies might offer a computer swap, you can definitely use HP Tuners to adjust and refine the ECU parameters yourself, provided you have the right knowledge and tools. The gains you mentioned, 50hp and 60 ft-lbs of torque, are within the realm of possibility, but as with any tuning, you need to ensure that it’s done safely to maintain the longevity of the engine. Always monitor air/fuel ratios, knock, and other crucial parameters when making adjustments. If you’re not comfortable with the tuning process, it might be worth consulting with or hiring a professional tuner. The $700 might seem steep upfront, but ensuring your engine runs optimally and safely can save money in the long run!

Advanced Tuner
    The biggest low hanging fruit so to speak on the 8.1L is getting it into Power Enrichment when you go WOT. They are set from factory to where you need to be at WOT for 60 seconds before they enter PE.