Thread: 2.3 EcoBoost Under Boost / OverBoost Codes after changing intercooler

Tuner in Training

Exclamation 2.3 EcoBoost Under Boost / OverBoost Codes after changing intercooler

Okay guys so we are tuning my 2.3 auto ecoboost mustang and we went to a CVF Race intercooler. But now we are getting underboost and overboost codes. What parameters need changed to run this intercooler?

Did you change your intercooler volume value?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Perna00 View Post
    Did you change your intercooler volume value?
    Yes. I figured thats what I needed to do so I changed it by the increase advertised and that def didnt work, so I tried a few other settings about 50-60% of the advertised increase but Im still getting under and over boost codes.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone have the value it needs to be?

Advanced Tuner
    Just looking at the pictures, it's probably roughly 2x the volume, so I would start there.
    Otherwise, if you want to remove it, you can fill it with water and measure it yourself.

I’ll have to look through my book specifically for the eco-boost engine. The Tuning score had a value of what works for about 80% of the aftermarket intercourse unless you’ve got some crazy high efficient one. For some reason I’m thinking it was around 16 or 19 but, I’ll reference it and edit my post here

Also if you changed your charge pipes from the charger to the throttle body, that needs to be factored into the new volume. I have a 2017 Fusion Sport that I replaced the stock I/C with a Turbo Tech Racing intercooler , and then later I added intake and charge pipes. So stock the are around 5 liters, I'm currently up to 19.87 liters, seems to be good, but I also have other things going on that will effect SD.

Raising your IPC tables 20 to 30% will help with it throwing over boost codes.

The tuning school manual for the 3.5/2.7 ecoboost says 17.8 is a good value for the majority of innercoolers out there.

Tuner in Training
    The tuning school manual for the 3.5/2.7 ecoboost says 17.8 is a good value for the majority of innercoolers out there.
    Roger yeah this is a 2.3 unfortunately. So OEM was like 4.XX. I tried 8 first and it seemed to make a lot of power, but the gauges showed lower boost, and it threw underboost codes. Ive still been lowering it and am at about 6.5 currently but im still getting underboost codes.

Tuner in Training
    I’ll have to look through my book specifically for the eco-boost engine. The Tuning score had a value of what works for about 80% of the aftermarket intercourse unless you’ve got some crazy high efficient one. For some reason I’m thinking it was around 16 or 19 but, I’ll reference it and edit my post here
    Yeah thats about 5 x the oem value.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure you don't have a boost leak somewhere, loose coupling after installing the intercooler?
    I've played with the intercooler volume a little bit and never got an under boost code from it... I've had plenty of over boost codes though.

Definitely time to do a boost leak test. There are a ton of How-To videos online on making them pretty cheap. I suggest going 1.5 times your intended boost pressure and spraying the couplers or any other potential leak point with some soapy water.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mtflyboy25 View Post
    Okay guys so we are tuning my 2.3 auto ecoboost mustang and we went to a CVF Race intercooler. But now we are getting underboost and overboost codes. What parameters need changed to run this intercooler?

Tuner in Training
    Have you made any more progress with dialing in your intercooler volume?
    My base sitting is 4.48L and my stage 3 setting is also 4.48??
    Yet... I've never got any DTCs (I have the same Intercooler as you)??