Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E38 spal PWM control issues

So it now has a different System segment, taken from... what? The stock 2014 Camaro file should have been correct for two discrete/relay fans, it did not need a segment swap. Just the visible settings from when it still had relay fans, which is the config you'd need to test if the control pin will function like it should with relay fans (ground/not ground).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    So it now has a different System segment, taken from... what? The stock 2014 Camaro file should have been correct for two discrete/relay fans, it did not need a segment swap. Just the visible settings from when it still had relay fans, which is the config you'd need to test if the control pin will function like it should with relay fans (ground/not ground).
    yes, you are correct, I didn't need to segment swap but I knew it would catch anything I could have missed. I used a tune from the repository and compared several before making the changes. please forgive my ignorance, I don't use HP often enough to do stuff like this but I've backed myself into a corner with these fans and really shouldn't have attempted this controlled by the ecm situation. I would have used the OEM style fan but I cant fit anything larger than a 12" fan but it seems like this would have been a problem anyway.
    I really appreciate your help blindsqurrel, your name is on every one of these posts and the amount of help you have provided is incredible. I cant thank you enough even if this ends up being a bust.

Tuner in Training
    same result after making changes in tune file posted above. provides ground immediately after ignition is turned on. cannot force to turn off using scanner.

Honestly, you should be using a standalone fan controller with the aftermarket fans. Just wanting it to work with what you have isn't enough to make it work, there's this thing called 'reality' that often gets in the way... there's not ever going to be a segment swap for this that enables a PWM output.

Even if you change to a 2010-2012 OS that has a segment swap available it will still be stuck forever having to use the stupid inverted control logic thing. (btw, there is an add-on gizmo to invert the PWM signal for exactly this situation, but, why not just use a standalone controller and solve both problems at once?)

The Corvette fan can be cut down to a much smaller size, that's what I did and then grafted it onto an Envoy fan shroud.

Img_0044s.jpg Img_0078s.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Honestly, you should be using a standalone fan controller with the aftermarket fans. Just wanting it to work with what you have isn't enough to make it work, there's this thing called 'reality' that often gets in the way... there's not ever going to be a segment swap for this that enables a PWM output.

Even if you change to a 2010-2012 OS that has a segment swap available it will still be stuck forever having to use the stupid inverted control logic thing. (btw, there is an add-on gizmo to invert the PWM signal for exactly this situation, but, why not just use a standalone controller and solve both problems at once?)

The Corvette fan can be cut down to a much smaller size, that's what I did and then grafted it onto an Envoy fan shroud.

Img_0044s.jpg Img_0078s.jpg
    I understand and figured it would come to this. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't possible before adding another module. I do really appreciate the help. would you recommend the controller you posted earlier? I only need the signal and not the power control side of things which is what most controllers try to do. This is what the spal controller does but it is back ordered and dont know when it will be available.

The SPAL brushless fans have the power-side of the controller inside them, they only need a PWM on the little signal wire to tell them what to do. That's what the add-on box does, outputs a variable PWM based on a temperature sensor. And also has an override input for A/C or a manual switch, and when that input is triggered it can be configured to do either 50% speed or full speed. It can use its own dedicated temp sensor (sold separately) or can tap into the existing coolant temp sensor. Or can be set up to use any other temp sensor you may already have or want to use... the thing has great documentation and looks easy to set up despite all the options.

The SPAL controller is very locked-down as to features and also expensive. And also not available.

The one that was 'fixed' with a segment swap: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...an-help-needed

...even if you manage to get a valid PWM signal out of the ECM, I don't recommend the combo of stock ECM with aftermarket SPAL fan because of the inverted duty cycle thing. Use a GM SPAL fan, or use a standalone controller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143561646769 + aftermarket SPAL fan
    or
    stock ECM + 1518914 600W 14" / 1518927 850W 19"
    WOW that is cool and only $65. That would have cured a few problems in the past.
    They (the company) makes a bunch of other stuff too that is nice.
    Is this for just Gen 4? or are you using this in other applications?

I'm considering switching the Envoy to the CTS-V/Camaro fan and moving the 14" Corvette fan to my carb'd El Camino... haven't used the box myself yet though. It's completely standalone, no other ECM of any kind needed, just a temperature sensor input.

(I have a vague familiarity from years and years ago with writing code for ATtiny13, in flashlight drivers (the kind of flashlight that fits in your shirt pocket, but draws like 16 amps from a single cell and is capable of being used as a firestarter in an emergency) that also do lots of functions with only a single button, so I'm just jealous that I'm not good enough at coding to make a box that does that myself. I can copy/paste bits of other peoples' code that looks like it might do something interesting and eventually end up with something that works, but nothing totally from scratch like that.)