Thread: Is Canadian Gas poor quality?? Are the octane levels bogus??

Question Is Canadian Gas poor quality?? Are the octane levels bogus??

I've been wondering why my engine always dips down to a lowly 9-10 degrees of timing when I go wot.

based upon the values in my stock low octane table and high octane table, it ought to be able to use up to 15-18 degrees under ideal conditions, however the 9-10 that it is using indicates that it is leaning towards the low octane values.

I only use 94 octane gas primarily from Chevron, occasionally from Petro Canada.

Initially I expected that this was obviously being caused by the various spark correction modifier tables that exist to drag down the timing due to conditions such as IAT, ECT, burst knock/knock, torque mgmt, etc.

As time has passed and I have slowly become more comfortable with HPT logging, analyzing the data, relating what tables are used when and where etc., piecing together the big puzzle so-to-speak, it appears to me that the modifiers are not pulling the timing down because the data logged indicates ideal conditions so as not to apply a reduction in the amount of timing.

so this leaves me wondering what is left to look at?
    I cannot find any other tables that reduce timing due to certain conditions.
    I seemingly use the best gas avail out here.
    I have often heard talk and rumours that Canadian gas is substandard compared to various U.S. sources.
    I'm not sure what that means though.. Doesn't the gas have to be measured and conform to some sort of industy standards?
    How do I know that 94 is actually 94??
    I have no idea, it just says it is 94 on the pump - a red sticker - it must be!!

Is Canadian 94 eqivalent to U.S. 94?
    Last edited by my_bd; 03-02-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    my_bd 2004 Saturn Ion Redline - 2.0L Supercharged LSJ (P12) 13.1 @ 110

Senior Tuner
    I had herd that Canadian Octane ratings are achieved through additives and US fuel is produced at the rated octane.
    The truth to this I don't know. I do know that fuel here is very dirty compared to the US. Injector cleaning should be done once a year here.

Remember, the PCM will blend between the HO & LO table based on the amount of KR the PCM is seeing. If it sees a lot of KR, you will be running purely on the LO table. Generally speaking there will be a blend between HO & LO. I'm not sure if you can log the Knock Learn Factor on your LSJ though. Take a look through the spark parameters and see.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Canadian Gas is very poor compared to the US. I deal with this everyday.
    I am always detuning magnuson tunes etc to work with our gas. It is the additives they use. Our 92/94 is not the same as US 92/94.

Add meth injection it will make up the diff.

Nolan

Senior Tuner
    This is really off topic but you brought it up...
    What is meth injection and what does it do? Is this for diesel's or gas burners, or is it just a cooling device??
    ..would just like to know.....

Senior Tuner
    So this mixture is "sprayed" at your inner-cooler to help transfer more heat from the incoming charge of air? Makes sense I guess. Thanks for the info. Really didn't know what it was. I was thinking it actually got sprayed into your intake or something. Couldn't see someone spraying water into their motor!!

Paul

Senior Tuner
    OK, that's just nuts. Water injected into your intake....WOW!!
    So, can this be added to any car, or is it just for boosted applications??

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by my_bd
    yeah, pretty much any gas or diesel engine could get some benefit out of it. It's mostly used for boosted or high compression applications though.
    http://www.enginerunup.com/shop.php/...-39-s/i_5.html
    That write-up made a lot more sense to me. Thanks for the info again. See, this old dog learned something new today!

Tuner in Training
    Yep I only use 100% meth no water. It is sprayed into the intake before the TB.

www.Turbobuick.com has a ton of info.

I have set up kits and tuned them to 28psi with 28 degress of timing with 91 pump and meth injection. 4.3L v6 made 740hp.

Nolan

Tuner in Training
    I also have set up a bunch of SS and Ions with the meth.

With a pully,injectors and meth they did 270at the wheels.

Nolan

water prevents detonation because it regulates compression temperature by its caloritic value which is high. and the methanyl burns very quick = more compression, less piston slap. i think. i read somewheres it explained well but yea.
    Last edited by redhotjamedjimi; 03-04-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Just got done with a 2007 C6 (stock everything) with an APS twin-turbo and with the meth, it put down 622 RWTQ and 631 RWHP. Remember the LS2 is almost 11:1 static compression...
    Without meth it was in the 560 range.

HPT Ken,
    LA, CA area.