Thread: 10r80 tune sample

Potential Tuner

10r80 tune sample

Delete
    Last edited by bmpcamry09; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:04 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpcamry09 View Post
    Figured I would share a trans tune file that I have spent some time on for those who are looking to smooth out their 10R80 quickly and easily without changing too much.

My vehicle is a 2018 Ford Expedition 4X4 with 3.31 gears. Like most people, I hated skip shifting, clunky torque convertor locking, and the general clunk and lag feeling around town.

Before building this file, I had the PCM and TCM updated by Ford to the latest and greatest calibration files. These updates from Ford improved the shifting quite a bit by themselves. Comparing to older files, it appears Ford has improved torque management and shift pressures quite a bit over the years. I read in some forums that some notable tuners prefer the factory Expedition strategy over F150 strategy, presumably because the Expedition is a bit heavier than the F150.

This file I am sharing is a stock engine calibration (except I turned off stop start). With this file you'll get the following trans changes:

-The latest updates from Ford.
    -Torque based shifting disabled (In my testing I noticed this removes a lot of the confusion from the TCM).
    -Faster dash gear display changes (for whatever reason, some older 10R80s display the gear change when commanded rather than when completed, this fixes that)
    -Upshift strategy from 21 and newer F150s implemented, however all skip shifting was removed (on 21 and up, the only skip shift is 1-3, but I took it out anyways).
    -Downshift and coasting strategy from 21 and newer F150s implemented, will downshift earlier
    -Sport mode no longer hangs shifts after WOT
    -A few torque convertor changes, reducing the minor slippage in cruise situations and TCC will not engage until 4th gear vs. 3rd gear, this smooths out low speed in town driving

I am not a professional tuner, however I am a HP Tuners nerd and I am as picky as can be when it comes to how my vehicle feels going down the road. You may need to adjust WOT speeds/OSS settings depending on your engine/gearing. This is just what works for me.

If someone with more knowledge has suggestions or improvements, let me know.

Enjoy!

Attachment 138395
    Hey, I really appreciate the information and file. I plan on applying the changes to my 2019 expedition. I really hate how the transmission shifts and the stock torque lockup (or lack thereof). Especially when towing. Hoping this will give me a good starting point.

Tuner
    Thank you for sharing.
    2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4