Thread: L87 swap into 2016 Cadillac Escalade (L86 broke valve spring)

Potential Tuner

L87 swap into 2016 Cadillac Escalade (L86 broke valve spring)

Hey all,

I’m about to pull the trigger on an L87 engine locally, to put into my 2016 Escalade. I believe it shouldn?t be an issue getting the L87 running on my stock ECM and harness, can anybody confirm this before I hand over the cash? Appreciate any insight!

Don't do it. The L87 is DFM, you can't control DFM with your computer. Plus the block is completely different on a L87 compared to a L86. The valve area with the DFM is all different.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I’m planning on a DFM delete, and I’d be getting the engine fully dressed, does that change things?

Potential Tuner
    Should have quoted the reply sorry. If I’m doing a DFM delete with cam, and receiving all accessories, intake etc, just no harness/ECM, would I be able to run it on my E92 and stock harness with a tune?

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Don't do it. The L87 is DFM, you can't control DFM with your computer. Plus the block is completely different on a L87 compared to a L86. The valve area with the DFM is all different.

Tuner
    I dont think the L87 has the provision in the block to run your vacuum pump. I think everything with the L87 has the electric brake booster. So Im not sure how youd do that??

Potential Tuner
    I've seen/heard examples of people pulling vacuum for the brake booster from the PCV lines, so if that works it would be a simple solution. But I'm new to this, just trying to figure out the best route for replacement of my L86. It's either this L87 if it works, or an L8T instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Estep40511 View Post
    I dont think the L87 has the provision in the block to run your vacuum pump. I think everything with the L87 has the electric brake booster. So Im not sure how youd do that??

It can totally be done. I just took out my L83 and put a L87 into my 2015 Silverado 1500