Thread: New to tuning, need advice

Potential Tuner

New to tuning, need advice

I have a stock 99 Camaro 3.8L v6 4-speed automatic with an aftermarket muffler and I'm looking for anyone who can give me advice on what videos or websites to go and learn how to tune it myself? I'm scrolling across youtube and watching numerous videos but everyone seems to have a v8 and a lot of mods, I'm planning on modding mine but for right now I just want to fix shifting as well as when I push the gas and it wont take off until 2 seconds later, any advice helps thank you.

If it even matters the muffler is a flowmaster super 44 welded on with an advanced auto parts exhaust tip

Obviously if there are more things I can do other than stated I'd appreciate the information but I know stock cars don't really benefit from much
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey there! I've seen a number of V6 Camaros come through, and while it's true that there's a ton of content for the V8s out there, the basics of tuning remain pretty consistent across models. First and foremost, it sounds like you're taking a step in the right direction by immersing yourself in YouTube tutorials. Even if they're based on V8s, the fundamentals of what they're discussing—like air/fuel ratios, ignition timing, and transmission shifts—are going to be applicable to your V6.

Now, regarding that delay you're experiencing when you hit the gas, it could be a couple of things. It might be related to your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - if it's faulty or lagging, that could create a delay in response. Alternatively, it could be the transmission hesitating to downshift. With HPTuners, you'll have the flexibility to adjust shift points which might help with this.

If you're looking specifically for tutorials, the HPTuners website and their forum are fantastic. Many users share their experiences and advice, and there's a good chance someone's tackled similar issues with a V6 Camaro. Also, don't overlook the "TheTuningSchool" on YouTube. Even though they might not have a video specific to your exact model, their grasp on tuning basics is solid. Also you can use google and type in HPtuners in the end of your question as it’s more than likely your question has already been answered here numerous times already.