Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help: Coyote Gen3 Crate motor - new install - bank 2 shutting down, not firing

But it would and as mentioned you dont have a dash to tell...but whatever good luck

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    But it would and as mentioned you dont have a dash to tell...but whatever good luck
    Im not driving it yet - way too erratic to be honest

Btw - here?s my dash

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    New PCM, new harness another tune, you ruled out everything besides new engine...
    what symptoms in the engine would cause a whole bank of cylinders to shutdown in a Coyote? no codes are shown...

VCT Solenoid? Cam Position Sensors? other?
    Last edited by toadster; 11-06-2023 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    what symptoms in the engine would cause a whole bank of cylinders to shutdown in a Coyote? no codes are shown...

VCT Solenoid? Cam Position Sensors? other?
    CAMS! When it gets worse on PI and better on DI its cams...timing jumped or something damaged.

Tuner in Training
    ok more testing...

we tested with all 4 bank#2 injectors disconnected, O2 readings were good, so we started a process of elimination

plugged in injector #5 and started the engine, O2 readings are good, temps coming up
    plugged in injector #5 and #6 and, same goodness
    we then additionally plugged in #7, so we had 5,6,7 plugged in, O2 readings are good! temps coming up!
    then we plugged in #8, thinking - maybe it was just a fluke, NOPE - O2 readings went bad - so we determined that injector #8 must be stuck open!

unplugged #8 and it ran fine again...

i replaced injector #8, same issue O2 goes to max lean
    unplug injector #8, O2 issue goes away

to test further, I unplugged injector #7, so all others plugged in - pulled #7, O2 issue goes away, plug back in O2 issue comes back
    to further test, I pulled injector #1 (on bank 1), with all others plugged in, O2 issue (on bank#2) goes away

so it seems that having all 8 injectors plugged in (electrically) the O2 issue occurs on bank #2

summary:
    it's always bank #2 O2 issues, never bank #1
    the O2 issue only occurs when all 8 injectors are plugged in
    the O2 issue goes away when just one of the injectors is unplugged

what should I log/test next? seems when all 8 injectors are plugged in the O2 circuit on bank2 goes full lean...

Advanced Tuner
    Check your grounds very thoroughly, wiring is the only common denominator at this point, and since you have eliminated the harness and PCM it seems ground related. There are a few instances of someone inadvertently grounding the engine through the injector harness.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Check your grounds very thoroughly, wiring is the only common denominator at this point, and since you have eliminated the harness and PCM it seems ground related. There are a few instances of someone inadvertently grounding the engine through the injector harness.
    yes, we have 4 engine harnesses to frame

1 from battery to frame, which then ribbon cable to engine mount (passenger side)
    1 from driver side block to frame
    1 from driver side head to frame
    1 from passenger side head to frame

all of these points read 0 ohms resistance when testing to battery (-) post

we tested all 6 ground wires in the PDU harness to frame, and they're all showing continuity and 0 ohms resistance

this is a gen 3 coyote crate engine with control pack so not a junkyard pull and refit
    how would someone inadvertently ground the injector harness to engine? ground is ground - right?
    Last edited by toadster; 11-17-2023 at 03:04 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    They fail to ground the block properly as an oversight and the electronics grounded through the block try to get back to the battery through wherever it can... it sounds like you have the grounds sorted, that's a close approximation of how mine is set up. The control pack really should be plug and play if your grounds are good, and you connect the right connectors in the right places the rest is pretty fool proof.

I thought for sure you had the wiring for the O2 sensor banks switched, I did this on my swap and had the exact symptoms you did. The sensor sides aren't well labeled (to be clear, I am saying flip the bank of the wiring, not the sensor).

The only other thing I can think of is somehow you got a truck engine, you would need to pull a valve cover and check phaser part numbers to be sure, they are a different firing order than the mustang engines. I don't know how that could happen, unless the company you bought it from screwed something up... I would think it would be obvious by the different intake manifold though.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    They fail to ground the block properly as an oversight and the electronics grounded through the block try to get back to the battery through wherever it can... it sounds like you have the grounds sorted, that's a close approximation of how mine is set up. The control pack really should be plug and play if your grounds are good, and you connect the right connectors in the right places the rest is pretty fool proof.

I thought for sure you had the wiring for the O2 sensor banks switched, I did this on my swap and had the exact symptoms you did. The sensor sides aren't well labeled (to be clear, I am saying flip the bank of the wiring, not the sensor).

The only other thing I can think of is somehow you got a truck engine, you would need to pull a valve cover and check phaser part numbers to be sure, they are a different firing order than the mustang engines. I don't know how that could happen, unless the company you bought it from screwed something up... I would think it would be obvious by the different intake manifold though.
    we've checked side to side wiring, the LH is on the driver side and RH on the passenger side so those are correct
    the guy I bought the engine from gets these direct from Ford Performance, does dozens a month...

Tuner in Training
    ended up being 4 bad fuel injectors on bank #2

what are the odds?