Thread: turbo control 2015 gmc yukon

Tuner in Training

turbo control 2015 gmc yukon

can you use the stock ecm from a 2015 gmc yukon with a 5.3 to control the turbo wastegate and blow off valve. And if so how would you go about wiring this up.

thank you
    Last edited by jamesv1956; 10-25-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to be more specific.
    But you dont need anything but a vacuum/boost reference hose connected from intake manifold to the WG and BOV for them to work.

I am working on getting the 'supercharger bypass' fully functional.
    This has been a little under a year journey, and i am working to find the final piece its missing.

I can not tell you if this is possible, but i bet it is.
    I have not done this though.

I can tell you it is not straight forward, And it is definitely off the paved path of tuning.
    There are hidden switches for enabling the needed DTC's and closed loop, and using PR versus raw baro when in open or closed loop mode.

As far as wiring i would suggest looking at wiring diagrams for "2016 Cadillac ATS V" wiring diagram to determine the correct pins to wire the wastegate in.
    the Caddy has a V6 Turbo engine that uses the E92 ECM, its wiring diagram should be the best bet to finding the correct pins.

For starters you will have to switch the Map Sensor config to one of the "TC" options.
    With this, you'll have to mimic the different AAP1/2/3 sensors and their locations in the Caddy.
    These give crucial information to ECM about the boost, as its making its way to the throttle body.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by will_974 View Post
    I am working on getting the 'supercharger bypass' fully functional.
    This has been a little under a year journey, and i am working to find the final piece its missing.

I can not tell you if this is possible, but i bet it is.
    I have not done this though.

I can tell you it is not straight forward, And it is definitely off the paved path of tuning.
    There are hidden switches for enabling the needed DTC's and closed loop, and using PR versus raw baro when in open or closed loop mode.

As far as wiring i would suggest looking at wiring diagrams for "2016 Cadillac ATS V" wiring diagram to determine the correct pins to wire the wastegate in.
    the Caddy has a V6 Turbo engine that uses the E92 ECM, its wiring diagram should be the best bet to finding the correct pins.

For starters you will have to switch the Map Sensor config to one of the "TC" options.
    With this, you'll have to mimic the different AAP1/2/3 sensors and their locations in the Caddy.
    These give crucial information to ECM about the boost, as it?s making its way to the throttle body.
    Ok thank you I will look into this I am having a hard time finding wiring diagrams

Tuner
    I have not heard of anyone being able to control a Wastegate or BOV with the stock computer.
    I took a few runs at it, but I was never fully successful.
    The first thing I did was wire in a new BARO using the ATS-V diagram.
    Then I could change the Map Sensor Config to TC-MAP-TIAP-Baro. This gave a major improvement in throttle control.
    After that I tried changing Torque Management->SC/TC General->Type Fitted to Turbo. Then when I would start the truck my accelerator pedal would hardly work. The truck would start and idle fine and my log would show the pedal moving, but at full throttle it would barely increase the torque request.
    I gave up trying once I added the MS3 PRO, which has closed loop boost control and can reference the accelerator throttle position, so I got what I was looking for.
    It would be great if you could figure it out. After seeing what other guys have gone through to gain more control with supercharger setups, my guess is that it would be a ton of work and require you to use WIN OLS or something like it to find other tables that HPTuners has not found yet.
    2014 Silverado L83 | Knockoff S369 Turbo | LT1 Fuel Pump and Injectors | MAST L84 Port Intake | MS3Pro Secondary Fuel Computer

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MORLOK View Post
    I have not heard of anyone being able to control a Wastegate or BOV with the stock computer.
    Then I could change the Map Sensor Config to TC-MAP-TIAP-Baro. This gave a major improvement in throttle control.
    After that I tried changing Torque Management->SC/TC General->Type Fitted to Turbo. Then when I would start the truck my accelerator pedal would hardly work. The truck would start and idle fine and my log would show the pedal moving, but at full throttle it would barely increase the torque request.
    I gave up trying once I added the MS3 PRO, which has closed loop boost control and can reference the accelerator throttle position, so I got what I was looking for.
    It would be great if you could figure it out. After seeing what other guys have gone through to gain more control with supercharger setups, my guess is that it would be a ton of work and require you to use WIN OLS or something like it to find other tables that HPTuners has not found yet.
    We?re did you find a wiring diagram for the ats-v I have been searching and I can?t find it

Tuning Addict
    You can purchase a subscription through ACDelco's website - it's a certain number of days access and then just print off everything you might need - same website that you go through for tis2web subscriptions. Then you basically have access to the same wiring schematics and service manuals as the techs working on them do. This is what I do when trying to help customers through issues they're having.

I'm almost certain Will has been able to get the bypass for a supercharger to work by enabling things in the background but "maybe" was still looking for another table? Don't know for sure.

I do know wiring in a sciap for blowers and activating it isn't an answer on it's own. All it does is put them into a partial REP which makes it "seem" like it's doing something. You just wind up losing the "pep in it's step" so to speak misleading you into thinking it's doing something on it's own. This was the number one complaint with doing just that before Will found the other tables to correctly compensate and adjust for it. I've had customers with multiple tuners tell me they never ran that good or responded that nicely after being able to adjust the right things in the background.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You can purchase a subscription through ACDelco's website - it's a certain number of days access and then just print off everything you might need - same website that you go through for tis2web subscriptions. Then you basically have access to the same wiring schematics and service manuals as the techs working on them do. This is what I do when trying to help customers through issues they're having.

I'm almost certain Will has been able to get the bypass for a supercharger to work by enabling things in the background but "maybe" was still looking for another table? Don't know for sure.

I do know wiring in a sciap for blowers and activating it isn't an answer on it's own. All it does is put them into a partial REP which makes it "seem" like it's doing something. You just wind up losing the "pep in it's step" so to speak misleading you into thinking it's doing something on it's own. This was the number one complaint with doing just that before Will found the other tables to correctly compensate and adjust for it. I've had customers with multiple tuners tell me they never ran that good or responded that nicely after being able to adjust the right things in the background.
    Ok thank you I will look at the ac Delco and see what I can find

Tuning Addict
    https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

Service manual subscription, but you might want to make sure Will can do it first.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by MORLOK View Post
    I have done this for supercharger bypass control.
    the symptom that the accelerator pedal not working in my case was due to the IAT2 sensor not being wired in.
    It could also be due to a different sensor not reporting as it is expecting

Once you have the pedal working like normal, You'll find the OS, no matter what extreme you go to will not 'allow boost'
    This is due to the boost Controlling segments of the OS not having the DTC's master enable switch enabled.

After this switch is thrown, you'll find that even the slightest airflow DTC will prevent the ECU from allowing boost.
    The fun part, is the DTC routines for all the airflow DTC's has to be running to allow boost.
    You cant just disable it or change temperature ranges, it has to be running and producing no errors.

Speaking in the SC bypass path, there is a different P0101 airflow delta table that relates Baro-SCIAP to g/s delta.
    This table is completely wrong in non factory boosted calibrations.
    (I assume in the TC path, there will be a similar table that will have to be located)

As far as the Win OLS, yes, that is a useful tool, but it is not nearly as powerful as a simple Decompiler.
    WinOLS in my experience is way to expensive, and does not correctly relate table's to their axis.
    A de compiler will point you at the table, and the axis, and the code that references it.
    (Even though all the code that the de compiler outputs will be without symbols)

James, I may be able to help you get through some of these hurdles.
    But we will be in very uncharted waters, and i cant guarantee any success.
    It has taken just about a Year to get to where i am with the supercharger bypass setup.

You should do this piece meal. first step is to setup the Sensor config, and get that working.
    Then we can work through the nuances of the boost controlling code.

Tuner in Training
    the symptom that the accelerator pedal not working in my case was due to the IAT2 sensor not being wired in.

Once you have the pedal working like normal, You'll find the OS, no matter what extreme you go to will not 'allow boost'
    This is due to the boost Controlling segments of the OS not having the DTC's master enable switch enabled.

After this switch is thrown, you'll find that even the slightest airflow DTC will prevent the ECU from allowing boost.
    The fun part, is the DTC routines for all the airflow DTC's has to be running to allow boost.
    You cant just disable it or change temperature ranges, it has to be running and producing no errors.

Speaking in the SC bypass path, there is a different P0101 airflow delta table that relates Baro-SCIAP to g/s delta.
    (I assume in the TC path, there will be a similar table that will have to be located)

As far as the Win OLS, yes, that is a useful tool, but it is not nearly as powerful as a simple Decompiler.
    WinOLS in my experience is way to expensive, and does not correctly relate table's to their axis.
    A de compiler will point you at the table, and the axis, and the code that references it.

It has taken just about a Year to get to where i am with the supercharger bypass setup.

You should do this piece meal. first step is to setup the Sensor config, and get that working.
    Ok I will start with the sensor config and come back to this thread once I get that set up. Thank you

Tuner in Training

I was looking at a tune file for a 2016 Cadillac atsv and some of the diagnostic codes are labeled as P0033 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Bypass Valve Control
    Gircuit/ Open
    P0034 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Bypass Valve Control circuit low
    So then I was thinking if they use the same diagnostic trouble codes, could they share some of the same tables, for superchargers and turbochargers?
    Last edited by jamesv1956; 10-29-2023 at 09:04 PM.

The P0033-35 codes diagnostics are contained to a couple resistance parameters.
    It is possible that they share some of the airflow diagnostic tables.
    But i would assume that the Airflow diag tables are tied to the Sensor config more so than the boost fitted type.
    This is what i have seen while walking the source.

The boost controlling tables are very shared between supercharger/turbocharger setups,
    Minus a few tables that are not used by both of them.
    However, the Functions that control the different boost fitted scenarios are separate and do not overlap.

Tuner in Training
    The P0033-35 codes diagnostics are contained to a couple resistance parameters.
    It is possible that they share some of the airflow diagnostic tables.
    But i would assume that the Airflow diag tables are tied to the Sensor config more so than the boost fitted type.
    This is what i have seen while walking the source.

The boost controlling tables are very shared between supercharger/turbocharger setups,
    Minus a few tables that are not used by both of them.
    However, the Functions that control the different boost fitted scenarios are separate and do not overlap.
    Ok thank you
    What program do you use to locate the tables in the ecm?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesv1956 View Post
    Ok thank you
    What program do you use to locate the tables in the ecm?
    I recently posted a overview how to guide here: https://minigeist.net/blog/?p=130

Very long answer shortened...
    I started with this repo I found on the fourms.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...nd-Bin-archive

I then ran the E92 binary file through This decompiler
    https://ghidra-sre.org/

From there, Its a 'fun' needle in haystack game!
    Last edited by will_974; 11-15-2023 at 01:31 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Very long answer shortened...
    I started with this repo I found on the fourms.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...nd-Bin-archive

I then ran the E92 binary file through This decompiler
    https://ghidra-sre.org/

From there, Its a 'fun' needle in haystack game!
    Ok thank you