Thread: UNLICENSED VEHICLE - but I paid

Potential Tuner

UNLICENSED VEHICLE - but I paid

Wondering if I made a mistake, or there is a glitch?

Installed new virgin black ECM from dealer into '11 Camaro L99 (6.2 /auto/stock) - old one was fried

Downloaded a compatible stock file from the repository (only available '11 SS file to chose from)

Went to flash the file, it asked me to assign 2 credits I just bought. I did and I saw the numbers change accordingly in available / used VINs.

Then went to flash file again and it keeps saying Unlicensed Vehicle.

Please help, I'm out of $100 and got a vehicle down, but I'm patient and appreciative!

Senior Tuner
    Can't write a virgin ECM with HPTuners unless the dealer added the original program per you VIN. Has to be done with other tools/programmer.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Can't write a virgin ECM with HPTuners unless the dealer added the original program per you VIN. Has to be done with other tools/programmer.
    Thank you and understood, dealer already flashed it - now do you think that it will work without spending another $100 / 2 credits? I mean I will try it in a few days and find out / update you guys.

Were my two credits mated to the ECM #, or to the file VIN I downloaded from the repository?

Re-read the computer but DO NOT read the FSCM, if you read the fuel pump control module, it will cost you another credit.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    You should never flash a file to a Gen 4 ECM that was not read from that ECM. If you used credits to license the file from the repository (don't understand why you would if the dealer programmed the new ECM with your vehicles correct calibration) then you will have to use 2 more credits to license your new ECM's file.

Senior Tuner
    Why are you trying to flash a different stock file onto a stock file? Make any desired changes to the file read from the new ECM.

Potential Tuner
    I understand, was trying to set it up from scratch. I guess I'll have to just try out if I can use those credits that were assigned to it now that it runs, or if they're wasted. If no one knows

Potential Tuner
    Thanks will do!

Potential Tuner
    Understood, the new ECM I installed was NOT flashed by the dealer, just an (assuming) blank one ordered with the correct part number. Of course it was flashing the check engine after installed, it did not know what car it was.

Senior Tuner
    If the dealer flashed it, you would still likely need to a some key relearn and possibly other anti-theft relearns before it would actually start. If the receipt for the module doesn't show it was flashed with a charge for that, it likely isn't flashed at all and will need to have the base file flashed outside of HPT.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    So you licensed a file from someone elses vehicle and you didn't license your vehicles ecm. Thats the issue.

Also you should not be licensing other peoples files

Furthermore you should not be flashing other peoples files to your vehicle.

All of these actions you do at your own risk and it is against our advice.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"