Thread: What possibilities are available with the Indian Scout?

What possibilities are available with the Indian Scout?

I have tuned my truck and shift points on its tranny but now I got a 2020 Indian Scout. I?m not going to do any major engine work except possibly an intake and it already had a short clamp on exhaust. I noticed I can but the adapter and 4 credits to tune it but what all can be changed? Can you just adjust for additional airflow with the intake and exhaust for 5 HP or are there additional benefits? Seems like it might be a decent investment for minor changes. Anyone have any insite?

Also, I’m doubting that the bike has a wideband O2 sensor so would I also have to invest in one for it in addition to the connection adapter?

Wow...glad I didn't buy the credits and sensors. Seems like this might be too new of a venture for support. The only references I'm reading is that there are tables and sensors not reading properly and it might be worth waiting until it's developed a little more. Especially when even the chat is basically non-existent.

Tuner in Training
    I haven't been active on here lately but I feel like I'm one of the very few people doing this on Indian Motorcycles. I have my 2018 Springfield Dark Horse tuned on it and can give you a little bit of input from my experience but I'm sure it would b e slightly different for the Scout. Getting started is hard if you have modified your bike past exhaust and other simple mods with no support. The Springfield does not have a wideband so I would assume the Scout is the same. I added an Innovate DLG-1 dual wideband to the bike in place of the factory analog fuel gauge. I chose this because it controls 2 sensors so I can balance the injectors on the 2 cylinders. The knock sensors are extremely sensitive and will pull timing almost constantly. You have to have a laptop plugged in to log with the widebands because they will not log standalone, I run a Dell 2in1 laptop in a Ram mount stuck behind the windshield on my bike. I've probably got around 7k miles on the bike with this setup with no issues, but its defiantly not for everyone. I do have some videos on my youtube channel of how to do the user math for my setup and everything. If you want to check it out the channel is "Power in the Prairielands". Ill try to pay attention to this if I can answer any of your questions.
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS 408 Stroker
    2018 Indian Springfield 116 Big Bore Kit Hanson Racing Cams and Trask 2 into 1 exhaust
    https://www.youtube.com/@PowerinthePrairielands

I appreciate the reply. I?ve got the data cable coming in the mail. As of right now I only got a free flowing exhaust. I?d like to get the intake for a little bit more performance, but then I?d have to tune it based on everything I read. And that would also include me having to get the wideband since the scout only has the narrowband. I only have a single multi-gauge so I don?t have much option for displays. Would this be something that can be remotely tuned or only via personal wideband readings?

Tuner in Training
    With a wideband you should be able to get it remote tuned or tuned in person as long as you can log it. Then after tuning is done you can just plug the wideband 02 bungs in your exhaust until you need to get the bike retuned.

I follow you. So I’d have to get an O2 bunk welded on the exhaust and capped when not using it for testing purposes. Is there a stand alone kit or one that could read from the hp software? What would be the best economical option?

Tuner in Training
    The Innovate DLG-1 seemed to me to be the most economical route to go for making sure both cylinders are getting fueled correctly. You could probably get away with just any wideband that will the vcm scanner will read but then you can only do 1 cylinder or youve gotta buy 2 kits. What interface do you have? if you have the MPVI3 you will just need the pro cable to wire the wideband into it, if you have the older ones you will need to get the pro feature set for it which comes with a cable. Also where are you located? If youre somewhere close and dont want to buy all this stuff just to use it once I'm looking for more bikes to tune to learn on. I've got experience tuning on dynojet software and tuning LS stuff on HP but my Springfield is the only bike i've gotten to tune on HP.
    2018 Indian Springfield 116 Big Bore Kit Hanson Racing Cams and Trask 2 into 1 exhaust

I’ve got the MPVI3. I ordered the pro link to be able to read/write the ecu but it hasn’t came in yet. I’m down around Savannah, GA. So it looks like that kit has two sensors (one for each bank) and the gauge. Unfortunately the gauge would serve no use while driving and only for tuning. Seems like a big ordeal just to tune in a few extra horsepower.

Tuner in Training
    The pro link doesn't connect to the ecu, it connects external sensors to the MVPI. There is an adapter that connects the MPVI to the Polaris OBD port, is that what you ordered? That's a beautiful area down there, I travel down there about every week for work. the DLG-1 comes with 2 sensors, the gauge that has a built in controller for 1 sensor and then a separate controller for the other sensor. It wouldn't do you much good unless you found or made some sort of gauge pod to go on your bars if you wanted to do that. On a setup like you currently have with just a slip-on exhaust its probably not worth doing, you probably wont notice much of a difference. My setup needed to be tuned and DynoJet locked out most of the tables you need to access to do tuning on their software so I was happy to see HP Tuners release support. For your setup unless you are planning on doing a good intake, head pipe, cams or a BBK it is probably not worth doing HP Tuners on it. DynoJet may actually work really well for your setup or I have a friend out of Kansas City that runs customcycletuning.com which is a really great remote tuning service for the DynoJet stuff. There's definitely quite a few options out there, just gotta pick the one that works best for you.

Yeah, I was mistaken…I got the adapter cable. The bike came with short clamp ons and I took them off and used the hollowed out stock ones w/o baffles. I think it looks better on the bike. I’d like to get a good intake to increase a little bit of power. Probably reliability too since I heard it’ll run lean and hot without tuning afterwards. Think a basic canned tune will be what I’m looking for? If you make it down to Savannah sometime, hit me up and we can meet up if you have time.

Tuner in Training
    I've seen some canned tunes that are pretty sketchy from dynojet and others. If you do go with a PV3 to tune the bike you can run their wideband kit and I may still have an installer for their old version of the software where they still let you use all the tables, or Duane that runs customcycletuning.com has a great setup if you email him and manage to get a license to use the site, it's not exactly public but I know he does occasionally give people access. I'm usually down in that area every week just in my semi not on a bike sadly. I've got customers in Pooler and Richmond Hill that I deliver to. Either way you decide to go with tuning your bike defiantly feel free to shoot me a DM or something, I've got more experience on HPT but I did play with the Dynojet software enough to know my way around a bit. For me, using the same software for my Trailblazer, my Indian, and my Duramax just keeps everything easy. I just with they would open up support for the newer bikes like the Challenger/Pursuit so I could do some tuning on my friends bikes.

Sounds good, I appreciate all the help. I’m going to see what the file looks like after I get cable and decide which route I want to go. I’ll probably just stick with HP for it since I got the hardware and it makes more sense without the blocked out tables. I just got to decide if it’s worth it for just an intake and exhaust.

Tuner in Training
    A couple Quick questions you may have answer to , do you know if HPT. Can import the DJ WBCX wideband data ? I?ve got a 22 scout rogue I tuned with powercore ( the 2.4 version) which I still have a download link to if someone needs it) and the PV3, and 2nd question is has HPT, cracked more tables and ecu info than DJ?